Cages AND Comments 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
If you saw a great cage in the Cages Only thread and want to ask about it, this is the place to do it. You can also post photos here of cages ...and cages in progress. This is the chit chat thread. The other thread is for people to quickly scroll through photos and see a bunch of ideas all in one place!!!!

Thank you for understanding! :)

Minda

This is me after seeing the other thread ... :shock:

I only hope Baby Piffy is not ... :grumpy:

But the thing is, we live in a ROOM in a student hostel, and this is about the best we can get. We have bunny-proofed the room as best we could (fingers crossed) and piffy gets to run around, get in and out as she pleases. What do you guys think??

home.jpg

The box is one of those folding boxes from Ikea that come with a shelf. Piffy's 1 and a half months (she just came home 2 days ago) and is about the size of an adult hand.

Comments?

I made a post on another one of your posts :) I made a small cage for under $10 and my place is probably smaller than yours :) if you want directions (it only took me a couple hours to build) send me a PM

angelh wrote:
We have bunny-proofed the room as best we could (fingers crossed) and piffy gets to run around, get in and out as she pleases.  What do you guys think??

I think that Piffy has much more space than a caged bunny. Why worry ?

Cinnamon hasn‘t any cage either:
DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

e2a1559c.jpg

99045c1b.jpg

Dunkin and Dewey are so cute, thanks for sharing the pix!
I put a fleece blanket on the floor in my bunny's cage, and she is now peeing on it. She seems to do it once a day. I bought 2 blankets, so I take the soiled one out and replace it with the clean one daily. I'm hoping she'll get the idea soon. She mostly uses her litter box, but for some reason, once a day she pees on her blanket. Any suggestions? It's very frustrating!

Try cardboard. AndI use rugs too for traction, cause I have big cage. They like to chew the cardboard. :)

angelh wrote:
But the thing is, we live in a ROOM in a student hostel, and this is about the best we can get. We have bunny-proofed the room as best we could (fingers crossed) and piffy gets to run around, get in and out as she pleases. What do you guys think??
One of my daughter's room-mates at Univ had her bunny live under her bed. Their beds at the dorms are pretty high though, meant for extra storage spaces. I think they are at least 1 1/2 NIC grid, if not 2, off the ground.
Take half that for storage, block the other half off with NIC grids or something, and bunny has a pretty decent size cage :). (it was a small bunny too).

This is Dori and Enkei's cage. There is a barrier between them in this picture, but this is only when they were bonding. Now there is no barrier, and they have access to the whole cage, on the right side there are 3 levels. Since this picture I"ve also added an additional 2 levels on the left side.

2009_0101other0006.jpg

Happi Bun wrote:
And here is Dewey's
DSCF0005-2.jpg

Is this the GIANT Super Pet cage? If so, it is way bigger than I imagined. Dewey is probably around 3lbs or so, right?

Amy-

Yep, it's the My Deluxe Home Giant by Super Pet. I'm really impressed by the size too. It's roughly the same size as a 2x3 NIC cage. This cage is working beautifully for Dewey with his special needs. Because of the high solid sides it eliminates the danger of him injuring himself on the surrounding wire. It comes with a shelf and ramp, but I'm not using either at this time. The top opens for easy access and it's on wheels. It's only available online through Petsmart.

Dewey is 2lbs, he's a tiny guy. :)

Happi Bun wrote:
Amy-

Yep, it's the My Deluxe Home Giant by Super Pet. I'm really impressed by the size too. It's roughly the same size as a 2x3 NIC cage. This cage is working beautifully for Dewey with his special needs. Because of the high solid sides it eliminates the danger of him injuring himself on the surrounding wire. It comes with a shelf and ramp, but I'm not using either at this time. The top opens for easy access and it's on wheels. It's only available online through Petsmart.

Dewey is 2lbs, he's a tiny guy. :)
I can't believe I am going to say this!!!! I am not one who likes housing rabbits in pet store cages, but I do have to say that I think this cage is great for smaller breeds 3lbs or so and under! Especially great for special needs, like Dewey!

Is the front door large?

hehe, I'm the same as you on pet store cages. My Guinea Pigs have a C&C cage and Dunkin has the NIC/exercise pen. The front door is quite large, I mostly use the top though.

Here are my two pens now :). I worked for 5 hours yesterday scrubbing the room top to bottom (my yearly cleaning of the whole room.. gah! still sore!). I'm very happy with the cages.. The pens look super bare.. really need to trim some new blackberry branches and buy some new toys! Poor deprived 'children' ;).

5x5 main area with a 2x4 shelf/cave that they hang out under
July6001.jpg

July6006.jpg

5x5 area with the top of a petstore cage covered with cardboard and a towel as a cave and a shelf.

July6003.jpg

Half the room with the cages(super lucky to have a massive spare room for them!) The heater is never ever used, so no worries about melted grids!

July6004.jpg

These are temporary pens for the summer. When fall comes, will try to move the trio into my room to help with the girls feet since they have sensitve feet, the cold tile is harsh for them in winter. Then will let Pebbles and Georgie have the whole space and put in a couch or something so I can read or do home work down there with them.

Happi Bun wrote:
Here is Dunkin's set-up
DSCF0007-1.jpg

And here is Dewey's
DSCF0005-2.jpg
I have that same Giant deluxe cage(but by the picture, yours might be a tad larger..), but my ginea pig is in it. I used to have Honey in it, until she got so big I had to turn her sideways to get her through the door. No good. No she's now running around the hallway downstairs outside our bedroom.

I like Dunkin's bathroom set-up. :)

Materials:

2 full sheets of Norboard: around $40 total - $20 each(already had it laying around)

16 2 x 4's: about $32

4 x 8 foot sheet of really-expensive-board-that-my-fiance's dad once bought to build a project and never got around to it: $40

24 in. Galvanized Chicken Wire: about $50(already had it laying around)

Wood Glue(already had it laying around)

Brad Nails(already had it laying around)

Angled Finishing Nails: $40 for a box of 3,000

5 Hinges:

3.5 in(I think...) 2 "door" hinges: about $6/$3 for each(already had laying around)

3 Copper hinges(already had laying around)

2 LAG Screws: (already had laying around)

1 Bungee Cord(to prevent Honey from pushing out the side latch and escaping)

All in all, because we had all of the other supplies already, we spent about $140 bucks on the hutch.

The side is hinged for my convenience, but it really may turn out to be pointless having it; so the hutch could have easily just been comprised on 2 complete 4 x 8 feet Norboards, 1 for the top, a second one cut in half to fill in the one side of the hutch that we didn't have enough chicken wire to wrap around it. Also, instead of the really expensive board as the base, we could have easily used a third sheet of the Norboard as the base, but my fiance's father wanted the expensive board used because he knew he'd never get around to using it anyway.

So, were we to start from scratch, with a much less intricate build, it probably would have cost us:

$60 for 3 sheets of 4 x 8 foot Norboard

$50 for the 24 in. Galvanized Chicken Wire

$40 for the box of 3,000 finishing nails

$32 for the 16 2x4's

Plus the numerous amounts of wood glue, "long" stables for the hand power staple gun, the Brad nails for the Brad-nail power gun, and the one and a half boxes of sticky-tiles(that were apparently REALLY expensive but worth NOTHING. They crack under like 5 pounds of pressure, so they won't be in Honey's cage for long - will probably replace them with ceramic tiles or something). We could've bought cheaper tiles at a dollar store that would've lasted longer probably...

So - including the materials we already had, were we to go with the more simple design, it would've cost $182. Not bad...considering.

Anyway. On with the pictures...

Yesterday; half-way done(these pictures show just the frame)

HutchFront.jpg

HutchSide.jpg

Also yesterday; after our break, with the screening on

Hutch2Front.jpg

Hutch2Side.jpg

And...today!

The front, with pictures of the top opened, and closed(the top is VERY heavy, by the way - for me, at least, since, you know..I'm a woman and all, *grump*)

Hutch3FrontClosed.jpg

Hutch3FrontOpen.jpg

Side views(you'll notice in the side views, the lid is propped up with spare 2x4's that are bolted to the sides of the top, when you lift the top up just slightly, the props drop down to the side. When I'm opening the lid, I wrap my hand around one of the props that are relaxed to the side of the bunny pen, and pull up on it enough to crack the lid, and I slide my fingers under to lift it the rest of the way. My fiance's dad is considering on bolting a handle to the top to make it easier.

Hutch3Side.jpg

Hutch3SideBox.jpg

The back:

Hutch3Back.jpg

Honey: "So...how do I get out of here...."

Hutch3EscapePlan.jpg

Wow, awesome hutch, what a lucky bunny!! What breed is your rabbit? She looks just like mine and I never learned the breed of mine, so I'm curious as to what yours is! :)

I don' t know, to be honest. I consulted a friend who was a small-time breeder of rabbits, and she apparently thinks Honey is a dutch/dwarf mix. So... I'm not really sure what to tell you. :/

Latest posts

Back