cage recommendations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaidsmiiles

koolaidsmiiles
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying cage for a Holland lop. I don't really have the time go buy the stuff & go make a nic. Have any of you bought a cage that you would recommend? I'm looking into these let me know what you think?

http://www.petco.com/product/119060/Hagen-Living-World-Deluxe-Habitat.aspx?MobileOptOut=1

The grill comes out in both of these cages below so I can remove it if needed

http://www.petco.com/product/113065/WARE-Indoor-4-Level-Hutch-Small-Animal-Cage.aspx?MobileOptOut=1

http://www.petco.com/product/113673/Prevue-Hendryx-Cocoa-Frisky-Ferret-And-Rabbit-Cage.aspx?MobileOptOut=1

Which is best?

I couldn't get the final link to open (think it's my computer) but the multi-level cages like the 2nd one are more suitable for ferrets. The other 'levels' are barely more than a sitting shelf, so they don't really provide extra room.

The first cage may have potential if you get the XL size. It seems a little pricey, though. Also, I can't quite tell how the front door opens. I don't care for the ones that open like a ramp -- bunny's feet might get caught. A cage should have a door that can stay open for bunny's exercise time. Bunny needs to be able to get in and out at will. I just can't see how that one opens.

If you don't have time now to put a NIC together (it really doesn't take that long) you could go with an exercise pen just for now. I think x-pens are great to have anyway. I use mine for a variety of purposes. They come in handy for a vacation cage, an afternoon outdoor area, a barricade (like around a christmas tree), a 2nd cage during a bonding process.

I couldn't get the fin l link to open (think it's my computer) but the multi-level cages like the 2nd one are more suitable for ferrets. The other 'levels' are barely more than a sitting shelf, so they don't really provide extra room.

The first cage may have potential if you get the XL size. It seems a little pricey, though. Also, I can't quite tell how the front door opens. I don't care for the ones that open like a ramp -- bunny's feet might get caught. A cage should have a door that can stay open for bunny's exercise time. Bunny needs to be able to get in and out at will. I just can't see how that one opens.

If you don't have time now to put a NIC together (it really doesn't take that long) you could go with an exercise pen just for now. I think x-pens are great to have anyway. I use mine for a variety of purposes. They come in handy for a vacation cage, an afternoon outdoor area, a barricade (like around a christmas tree), a 2nd cage during a bonding process.

Here it is just copy & paste it into search bar

http://www.petco.com/product/113673...ky-Ferret-And-Rabbit-Cage.aspx?MobileOptOut=1

I would go with the first one its the only one that doesn't have wire bottom floor that causes sore hocks, But only if you can get extra large

I would go with the first one its the only one that doesn't have wire bottom floor that causes sore hocks, But only if you can get extra large

The grills are removable.. Yea I also have to be able to fit a litter box in it.

I couldn't get the final link to open (think it's my computer) but the multi-level cages like the 2nd one are more suitable for ferrets. The other 'levels' are barely more than a sitting shelf, so they don't really provide extra room.

Ok so levels don't matter really, what matters is I needed a wide cage?

I love my bunnies xpen! It gives them plenty of room for litter pan, food/water bowls, toys & toy box, boxes for hiding & playing on/in & area to run a bit & room for a nice bunny flop. Most cages seem to be more suitable as a temporary "container" for use when traveling to the vet or just to put them in while you clean their cage space. Yes, more floor/ground space is better than levels in my opinion.

If you can get a used large or xl dog cage you can use that also if you are able to let the bun out for lots of exercise. Mine is out for usually 3 hours a day. Total!

If you can get a used large or xl dog cage you can use that also if you are able to let the bun out for lots of exercise. Mine is out for usually 3 hours a day. Total!

Hmm that's a good idea. . Considering I live in a small apartment. Do you mean a cage or a kennel? Do you let it out 3hrs total all at once or can I split it into an hour at a time?

Hmm that's a good idea. . Considering I live in a small apartment. Do you mean a cage or a kennel? Do you let it out 3hrs total all at once or can I split it into an hour at a time?

Timing their time out is difficult in a way because it isn't like they are just overjoyed to be let out whenever they can be let out. Rabbits keep their own time schedule. So if you open the cage door during their chillin' time, they may just stay in and chill. They have spurts in which they like to explore. For that reason, the large time blocks are best- they give them more opportunity to work their exercise into their moods.

I may have mislead you about the levels. I meant that the levels on the cages shown aren't doing any good because they are so small. Nevertheless, the base floor space is most important. The multi-level cages in your links have too small (my opinion) bases. Here's a pic of a NIC where you can see that the middle level is over 7 square feet and even the 'smaller' top level is over 4 square feet. This type of multi-level cage provides more base floor than even a dog crate. That's one of the appeals of the NICs.

IM000411.jpg

I may have mislead you about the levels. I meant that the levels on the cages shown aren't doing any good because they are so small. Nevertheless, the base floor space is most important. The multi-level cages in your links have too small (my opinion) bases. Here's a pic of a NIC where you can see that the middle level is over 7 square feet and even the 'smaller' top level is over 4 square feet. This type of multi-level cage provides more base floor than even a dog crate. That's one of the appeals of the NICs.

Is this your cage? If so Could I get the exact measurements? How many boxes of cubes would I need for a nic like this?

I would agree that an x-pen or NIC cage would be best, but I know quite a few people who use large dog kennels instead and it works well for them, not to mention it's usually cheaper then a cage and tall enough that you can make a shelf.

PfefferCrate4.jpg

Personally, I would let the rabbit out as much as you possibly can.

I would agree that an x-pen or NIC cage would be best, but I know quite a few people who use large dog kennels instead and it works well for them, not to mention it's usually cheaper then a cage and tall enough that you can make a shelf.

PfefferCrate4.jpg

Yes I live in an apartment I don't have much space =/

PfefferCrate4.jpg

How do you put a shelf in a dog kennel? Take a look at these for me please which size would recommend? Also would the bars be ok I wouldn't want him to get his head stuck. .

This is for a Holland lop
http://www.petco.com/product/100343...og-Crates.aspx?MobileOptOut=1#description-tab

Yes, a xl dog crate can also work. I didn't intend to dismiss them but was just comparing size.
I'm out & about now. I'll get those other Nic dimensions later.

Latest posts

Back