Cage Flooring Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteRabbit

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a mini-lop mix doe (her name is White Rabbit- she's the one in my profile pic) that currently has a room of her own in our house, but stays in her cage when we are gone. She gets at least 4 hours of free roam time a day. I would love for her to to be able to free roam while my husband and I aren't home, but she's too destructive. Even in her bunny proofed room, she will find something to destroy. She's a chewer and a digger, so even though she has plenty of "toys" of her own to keep her occupied she still enjoys finding new things to ruin. I will give her this- White Rabbit is perfectly potty trained.

Anyway, I have been looking into exercise pens and different housing options that we could replace her current rabbit cage with so she has more room to move around in during the day. Husband says we can't just set up a pen because she'll dig/chew up the carpet. I told him I didn't think she would, but sure enough last week I saw some carpet fibers that she had pulled up during one of her free roaming sessions. I keep a rug underneath her cage now to catch her hay and messes that I was planning on using when we set up her new exercise pen. Now, that doesn't seem like an option because I'm sure she would chew it.

My inlaws have a dog kennel similar to this pen that I can have for White Rabbit.

What kind of flooring should I use with it? I had considered one of those plastic mats that goes underneath computer chairs to protect the floor, but I know they could be dangerous if she runs and slips. Any ideas for flooring for her new cage? And has anyone used a similar pen before? I'd be open to other pen/floor combo ideas, too.

Thanks!

The Baron no longer has a cage. When he did it was in the corner of my bedroom and this room has a vinyl tiled flooring. From my gallery here you can see his cage just used butcher's paper you can get at most shops. Under the paper was a cardboard box and under that was an absorbent liner. All this would need to be changed out, IF it wasn't for that litter box. The litter is fresh peat from Home Depot.

After sometime I just left the cage door open, then removed it. One day Baron tore the cage apart and I took that as a sign, cage no longer required. The cage was basic wire rack shelving held together with plastic clips. He had about 3½ feet (1x1 meter) each direction of floor space. I purchased it at K Mart and on clearance. I got it for just $20.

743430p.jpg

Best of all you can size this to fit almost any shape. Some people said to use zip ties to hold them together but he used this until he just out grew living in it.

There are a number of options. Rolled linoleum is one. They have some types that are not just textured but rough (almost like sandpaper or brick) that would prevent slipping.

Another option is putting down a heavy duty tarp and then putting some cheap fleece (or an old sheet) on top of that.

Some carpet piles are more tempting to chew than others. If you have a low pile rug, that could also work -- depending on your bunny.

If your bunny is not spayed, doing so could also reduce her chewing.

Pier 1 used to sell (don't know if they still do) floor mats that were woven seagrass or willow. Those can double as flooring (on top of a tarp) and as a chew toy -- yup the whole floor mat.

If you do use linoleum be careful because some rabbits are known to eat chucks of it.

I also suggest the vinyl/linoleum! It makes for easy clean up and is very cheap to purchase. I covered Chloe and Oscars 12 x 14 ft entire room with some for around $60 and it looks super nice and was easy to actually install. For Macy and Leo's cage I have a piece of it down as well. I also use rugs that have rubber on the bottom that buns can't access, and the fibers are too short and dense for them to chew. They are made for outdoors and are good for traction as well. If you have a menards locally I get them there they are like 4x3 ft and only cost $8! They are also good in case of an accident because the rubber prevents anything from going through. Both of my bonded pairs have a combination of the vinyl and rugs in their pens.
Like was said always keep the edges out of the cage!

Latest posts

Back