Butter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came home today and immediately knew something was up. Butter wasn't eating, moving around much or responding to anything, like her cage being open or craisins (which are her FAVORITE).

So, I waited a little while, watched for signs of change... and... nothing. So, took her to the vet. Thank God for 24 hour services! WOO! They (like we think) she is experiencing GI Stasis or is super constipated. They gave her fluids, an anti-biotic and stimulating meds. They sent us home with anti-biotics and this stuff called Critical Care which is an "assist-feeding" powder that is supposed to help clear things up.

So far, only two poopies (but at least that's progress!). She looks like she is trying to stay comfortable. She is super lethargic and at first she growled at us when we came near her. She wasn't moving at all initially, but she at least hopped over to her litterbox to at least TRY.

I hope she has a bowel movement by morning, so I don't have to take her back. I've already missed my morning class on Monday and Wednesday once this semester. I can't really afford another absence. Not like saving my bunny isn't worth it, but not very many people take rabbits seriously...

Rabbits don't generally go into stasis out of the blue (though it may seem that way), there's usually a cause. I suspect the growling and boxing a few days ago may have been because her tummy was bothering her. Hope you can establish what the cause is. Oh, and two tiny poops is good! If she continues to poop (even if they're very small), she's on the mend. Just keep giving the Critical Care!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Back