Butter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyButter

Reaction score
Butter and I met just a few months ago! My aunt introduced us. She belonged to a litter born to one of my aunt's does. My aunt doesn't breed rabbits, but just had a bit of (bad?) luck that all of a sudden put 8 baby bunnies in her charge!

Butter happened to be the only one of her color, and my aunt claims that the kits are a mix of Havanna and Lop. Besides from being the only orange one, she also happened to be the only one who didn't have her ears fall, like Lops. Unfortunately, she also happens to be the only kit who has a new home.

I absolutely adore my rabbit, and hope that she and I have years together. So far, everything is going great, and I can't wait to see how things go from here!

She loves to do homework with me! Sometimes, though, she'll get super jealous and will grab onto my books and try to pull them away from me. Fortunately, she hasn't eaten my homework yet, but she certainly has tried!

Butter.jpg

Currently, we're combating chewing, and I've tried to set up one defensive line after the next! It seems like the most effective thing so far has been a pile of phone books and magazines. I took the magazines out, but so far, it still works! It also seems to help when I give Butter fruits and veggies.

DSC01601.jpg

She has a log in her cage that chews on, too. Unfortunately, it always wakes me up around 5 in the morning. :grumpy:

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Very cute. She looks just like our Commander Bun-Bun did. She loved to chew the spine on any books in the bookshelf and was the runningest rabbit ever.

Butter recently discovered my bookshelf! She found the cheapest/oldest books I have, but I'm waiting for her to find my good ones. I know she shall.

Butter and I are currently visiting my parents for the holiday! Butter did really great on the drive home. I was quite impressed. :D Fortunately she won't have to do that again for another two weeks. My parents really, really like her and think she is incredibly adorable. Fortunately I still have a room at my parents where I can hide her from their dogs. I really don't want to introduce two German Shepherds to my tiny bunny! She loves exploring her temporary space, but nervous enough that she huffed at me when I tried to get her out of her cage. :( But, she did come out on her own and let me pet her again. It was the first time she met my mom, too. She ran right up to her and smelled her toes. My mother fell in love instantly!

DSC01602.jpg

She also went to the vet the first time yesterday. She's really healthy! Has some minor, easily correctable points on her back teeth, but good color, good weight. She did really well with the vet. He gave me some pointers for getting her to chew, like soaking her toys in juice. It worked (for the most part). I also introduced her to celery and bananas today. She absolutely loves bananas! She ignored the celery for awhile, but she ate it eventually. I knew she wouldn't be able to resist something that wasn't a pellet.

So, Butter has decided to chew on wires at my parent's place. I bought her a few more toys, as giving her paper hasn't really done ANYTHING. She prefers toys to anything free I could giver her. (She's such a brat.)

I think it's about time to get her spayed too. She is about 6 months now. I kinda want to get her spayed ASAP, but man, it certainly is expensive! :shock: She has started chewing more (not on the walls too!) so I'm feeling better that her teeth will stay smooth and not get overgrown.

Sigh, I think she's getting frustrated that I don't let her run around as much, but I really don't want her to eat electrical wires and I REALLY don't want her to meet my parents' dogs.

Butter is so cute! I love the ears :inlove:

Wires are a fovorite snack at my house too. You really have to rabbit proof and have them all covered or out of reach. To a rabbit a wire is like a root. In the wild tripping over a root could mean death, so they are very particular at keeping paths clean. Not the case for indoor buns, but they still have the instinct.

Have you tried apple or willow twigs from untreated trees? My kids LOVE them and will chew on the apple twigs before anything else. The store bought ones are ok, but from a real tree is even better. Apparently the bark is extra tasty.

I hope your aunt will be able to find homes for the rest of the babies. Perhaps if your mom is infatuated enough she could take one :)

Getting Butter spayed is a great idea. It will remove the chance for reporoductive cancers and help with naughty behavoirs like marking.

If it has to do with keeping a path clean, that explains why she is only doing that now. Any wire I have out at home is only in an area where she doesn't roam. She never has needed to clean, I guess!

DSC01570.jpg

I've widened Butter's palette to now include: bananas, cucumber, red leaf lettuce, celery, grapes, apple. She loved the red leaf lettuce (she took it to her hidey hole to hoard it) and really enjoys bananas too. So far it hasn't really upset her digestion either.

Also, she's getting SO big! Not in a fat way either. Then again, the buck that fathered her was the size of a cat, so I shouldn't be surprised. She's still doing great and is as adorable as ever.

With ears like that I'm not shocked she is getting big. I can't get over what a beautiful color she is. :)

I have always thought that giving all sorts of foods helps prevent picky eaters and tummy upset. I feed basically everything on the safe foods list.

So, really think Butter is a little bit irritated at me. After all, she's changed locations recently, got introduced to an environment where there are dogs and keeps getting put in her cage for longer periods of time then at my apartment. I learned how to beat her chewing though! She likes to chew on the rubber ends of a guitar stand, and I decided to stick paper towel and toliet paper rolls on the ends where she chews. She did not like that, and pleasantly ignores it now. HAHAHA! VICTORY IS MINE.

Speaking of chewing, I'm ecstatic that she has started to chew on her toys more! I've tried correcting her behavior by presenting her with her toys when she is chewing on the walls. It's working! At least, right now it is...

It's about time to get her spayed too! I found a Best Friends Vet Hospital that provides the cheapest price, and I think I'll go talk to them after the holidays, you know, to interview the vet and see how the vet handles my baby girl. I'm not going to let just anybody knock out my Butter and cut into her!

Butter and I went to another vet today. I'm looking around for a place to get her spayed. The place was the cheapest I could find, and definitely seemed like the techs were familiar with all the patients and their owners/slaves.

HOWEVER. My appointment was scheduled at 1:30. I arrived at 1:10. No one addressed me until 1:25, at which point I filled out about 6 lines of paperwork. There were maybe only 15 lines, most which concerned spouse information. What kind of vet clinic focuses more on spouse information than pet information? Anyways, they finally acknowledged my completed paperwork at 1:45 and decided to take me back for a 6 minute check up at 2:00. The vet didn't even check Butter's teeth. She said that she'll just do that when I bring her in for surgery. I even told her that a previous vet said she had some growth on her back teeth. The vet still dismissed it until the surgery. Skipping over the argument, I decided to just ask about the recovery time. Initially she said a week where everything is quiet. I mentioned how I live two hours away, and she changed her tune. I understand that it is rabbit dependent, but I seriously felt like she was trying to sell this surgery to me. I did not leave happy. :grumpy:

However, she did know how to pick Butter up and hold her, so that's a perk. However, I think I'll look somewhere else.

DSC01596.jpg

So, I spent the day looking at wonderful You tube videos of rabbits and the occassional one of dogs. Personally, I want to train Butter to do this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmroaYVD_so[/ame]

Oh, we never know what goes on with certain vets.. is there any other one you can take Butter to? Some vets say they're rabbit savvy and they're not (well, at least it happened to me, but I live very, very far away from the real world).. I hope you find a good vet!

Butter is a very beautiful bunny! I like how you created a defense line with magazines and phone books against chewing - did it work? Did the defense line protect your cables and furniture?
But I know that, having such a cute bunny, you don't even care about cheap things like furniture, right? heheh :D

Back