Buns March On!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sebastian is precious!

Ceara wrote:
So THAT'S what mardi gras is! I thought it was some festival for topless women.
... it pretty much is! lol That's what most a lot of non-religious people associate it with (like me!). :biggrin2:

I was going to actually make a hat for Inky but just in case I don't, here's his St. Pat's pic! :) (Tug might enter one too if that's alright)

StPatsInky.jpg

Sorry!! Is it alright if someone changes my entry to this (unless you think it's worse, it's a little different). Thanks and sorry for changing!

StPatsInky-1.jpg

We celebrate St. Patrick's day here (obviously) but this country is a catholic country and I have never heard of Mardi Gra, weird.

kherrmann3 wrote:
So, Mardi Gras = Fat Tuesday = Shrove Tuesday
Isn't Shrove Tuesday the day before catholics start lent (usually eat pancakes). My dad said apparently catholics don't like Mardi Gras which is a festival for mostly gay people?

:) Looking forward to Elf's pic!!

Another name in Europe is Carnival. It's a big party in Germany and in Belgium (where I used to live)
And um, I don't think it's just for Gay people... I think Catholics just don't like it because it's a festival of "excesses" and indulgence:
Lots of drinking (mainly alcohol), lots of eating (back in the old times, people had to eat up all their meat and other spoilables that they were not allowed to eat in Lent). And lots of... well, you know... scantily clad people (at least where it's warm, like in New Orleans, LOL. We always used to have to bundle up well where I lived :))

Nope, that's just Pride Fest (for gays) :p Mardi Gras is like a giant, drunken party with lots of flashing... :shock:Never been there, don't really want to.

It's for the "Catholics" or people who like to party. I think most Catholics just eat something they really like before doing the whole lent thing.

I'm not Catholic (or Christian or anything), so I have no clue. :p

I do plan on posting a picture! I promise! >.<

I'm Catholic - Fat Tuesday is the day before Lent (Ash Wednesday) begins and we have NO problem with Mardi Gras. We actually had little celebrations in the kids' Catholic School.

Lent lasts until Easter (40 days) and you fast on certain days, eat no meat on Fridays and give up things as a sacrifice for Jesus' suffering...... so Fat Tuesday you are to eat all you can!

Yes, same here. Well, I was Catholic, at least :).
But we too had our little Carnival parties at school, mainly the dressing up and having fun, and eating good stuff, of course.
I remember having to give up candy for Lent, one year... we were to bring our "weekly candy" to school, to drop off for the"poor children in Africa" or something like that :) But we did have a lot of candy and cookies at the Carnival Party :)

Oh, here (if I'm talking about the right day) it's called Pancake Tuesday, your supposed to use up all the sweet stuff in your house and make pancakes with it.

irishbunny wrote:
We celebrate St. Patrick's day here (obviously) but this country is a catholic country and I have never heard of Mardi Gra, weird.
most on the south is. more protestants in my town.....

i have never hared of it etither lol

irishbunny wrote:
Oh, here (if I'm talking about the right day) it's called Pancake Tuesday, your supposed to use up all the sweet stuff in your house and make pancakes with it.
thats what i call it...

irishbunny wrote:
Yeah that's what we do here too except the Catholics call it Shrove Tuesday. Businesses have started advertising it as Pancake Tuesday to make money from non-catholics too.

Latest posts

Back