Bunny suddenly not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koalasoom

Reaction score
Hi all!
My 2year old mini lip is usually full of energy and energy says no to food, never.
This morning he refused his pellets and barely bit on a strand of hay.
I am worried because there are no rabbit savvy vets in town who i can take him to immediately after work.

Notably, two days ago I did notice that the rubber attachment of my water bottle had been completely chewed off. I’m wondering now whether he’s in GI stasis.

Try to get him to eat hay by nudging it in front of him. Also, I'd suggest offering simethicone right away to see if that may help (it won't hurt). Hay can help push anything through his gut, so be a pest to him to see if he'll eat some.

For the baby gas drops, offer 1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed.

Supplementing Blue eyes' recommendations, I would just straight up put hay in piles on the ground by your rabbit, and make it the most fresh hay -- so right out of the box/bag. Essentially lay out the most tasty buffet right at his 'fingertips' so it's as easy as possible to eat if he is willing. For some rabbits going through GI distress, cutting the hay to be a bit shorter (therefore less laborious to eat intuitively speaking) can also make them more willing to eat it.

Rabbit gastric transit time is 3 to 6 hours and they do a generally great job at breaking things down before swallowing them, so eating something two days ago may or may not be related, though I lean towards not related.

You can also try intentional tummy massages with the following method:

If he is not eating, especially if you don't know whether he has eaten in the last 4 hours or so, he needs to see a vet right away. Check out rabbit vets in your area here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Any update? Try syringe feeding pellets crushed and mixed with warm water or critical care. If still not eating needs vet visit asap. May need xray and definitely get pain medication at visit and some to go. Good luck.

Back