Bunny Renovations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm cleaning the spots with vinegar pretty much as soon as I find them. His cage is right next to my computer desk, where I am 80% during the day, so they are cleaned up right after he makes them. I soaked up a few with a paper towel and put them in the litter boxes, along with some poops. So the boxes smell "used" and the floors are clean.

Well, sounds like you are doing everything that I would do...

Keep it up for a little bit longer. I think now that he has been disturbed, that it won't make much of a difference to change it back.

Hopefully he will "get it" soon. I had a pair of older girls that where horrible to litter train. Made a mess all over the cage, and I had to constantly clean them. But, one day, it was like a light when on, and they got it. From that day forward, they where perfect with their litter box.

I can just imagine how frustrating this is for you. Thought you where doing your bunny such a nice favour by giving him some swanky new digs, and he in turn freaks out and looses his potty training. Hopefully he will settle down soon.

-Dawn

Reading though your trial-by-pee-and-poo I couldn't help but wonder if you kept the old carpeting. Maybe since his smell is gone he's trying to make up for it?

If not maybe put the new carpeting on the lower floor and let him poop and pee and shed all over it. Even if you clean it and eventually put it upstairs it'll make the cage smell more like it used to be.

Also if the upstairs smells like pee, maybe he'd want to go up there. Sheesh, the weird thoughts having bunnies gives me.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seems to be slowly improving. There were only a few more pee spots outside the boxes but for the last 2 days there havent' been any!!! and no poops either!!:bunnydance:

Do you think I"ll have to keep the double litter boxes forever now or will I be able to remove the second one(the new one) later on? And if I can remove it when should I do that? Sooner, before he gets to used to having it? or later, so he gets used to using the litter box again before taking it away?

I have a suggestion about the second level thing. People might disagree with me though so i'm not sure. My rabbit is really resistant to change. When I brought her to my parents house she wouldnt get out of the cage at all. Finally, I just took her out and put her on the ground. Instantly she started hopping in and out on her own.

When I brought her back home she did the same thing, even though she was used to the house. I had to take her out myself becuase she was never going to come out on her own.

If I was to add a second story to the cage I know I would have to pick Lulu up and place her on it. After that I think she would do it herself. I know its weird.

Maybe you just need to show him that its okay to use the shelf? I would just pick him up and place him on it if you can.

Latest posts

Back