Bunny kit’s vet issues!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMom2

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if shots for baby bunny kits are necessary or a must take? And if there‘s pills instead of shots? And when do I take them to the Vet for shots?
and do I have to take indoor bunny’s to vet for check up‘s is it necessary or a must?

I always get my bunny vaccinated, and she's an indoor bunny. It's just not worth the risk of her catching myxamitosis or vhd.
She doesn't have a yearly checkup simply because she's there more often than that anyway with all her issues haha. But I think it's always worth it to catch things early. It can be done at the same time as the vaccinations.

Thank you for the reply, but is there pills for baby bunny kits instead of them taking shots or vaccines?

I don't do yearly checkups. If something is wrong, off to vet we are.
If there is nothing wrong, imho chances are slim that a vet would find anything of importance either, and there is the risk that something gets treated that's not treatworthy.
I rather save the money for moments when I need it, makes it easier to go if there is just a concern but nothing really to point at.
Might be somewhat different with breeds that are prone to certain problems, like lops and ear issues.

Vaccines, well, depends on where you live, if those diseases are in your region, and if there is a wild rabbit population in your area.
I now live in a valley where no rabbits are, too many predators and no suitable envirnment, that makes my rabbits pretty safe. But I had an Myxo outbreak when I lived at a place with a big wild rabbit population, I'm glad I'm out of there.

Vaccinations are not routinely done here in the US. ( @Mileybun is in the UK where vax are routinely given to pet rabbits).

The exception to this is due to the fairly recent spread of RHVD2 in certain parts of the US. Only recently have some US vets been able to even get a hold of the vax for this. As this disease spreads (as it already has in the UK and Australia, for instance) then the availability of the vax will also increase.

You can read more about this disease and where in the US it has surfaced at this link:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rhvd2-in-the-us-what-you-need-to-know-includes-map-pg-3.99131/

We did a well check when we first got a rescued bunny. Never have gotten any vaccinated nor has any Vet here or in CA said there was a need. Further, if your bunny is a house rabbit with no interaction with any area where the wild ones roam, there is no real need. Our grandson goes to Neal elementary over here on the N/W side of the valley and they have a garden club and there is a free roaming domestic bunny that has been helping in their garden for more than 4 years now with no discernible problems. Short answer, none needed.

Back