Bunny in heat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryandLuna

Reaction score
My little girl bunny has literally just reached 6 months old so I can now get her desexed however I am going away in 2 weeks so want to wait till I get back in case she doesn't recover well. The problem I am facing is almost to the day of turning 6 months her behaviour has completely changed. She has forgotten all litter box habits and is dropping poops and spraying EVERYWHERE. She is also continuously trying to mount my boy bunny (he is desexed). I can see he is very quickly tiring of this and am worried that though he is a timid bun he may soon attack in retaliation. Most of the time they are all snuggly and cute but am wondering what my options are here until I can get her desexed. Being that they are bonded I obviously don't want to separate them but am also worried about potential fighting.

Any suggestions?

You're in a tough situation if you can't get her fixed right away. I'd get her fixed right away if at all possible. There is a very real possibility that her advances toward the male and her behavior changes will make him retaliate (as you fear). Waiting out another few weeks only increases the chances of something going wrong. If they fight, it can ruin their chance of bonding for real once she's spayed.

I'm afraid that baby bonds don't really count as true bonds because hormones can mess up any 'bond.' The sooner she is done, the more likely they will be able to bond without any rift developing.

Thank you for your response and advise @Blue eyes !
I managed to get the vet to squeeze her in yesterday to get desexed and it turned out she was having a false pregnancy which explains her sudden change of behaviour. Little Miss had a tough procedure but is now recovering well and re-bonding with Harry which is amazing

Little Miss had a tough procedure but is now recovering well and re-bonding with Harry which is amazing
I would not start bonding them for a month so she has time to recover completely and to let hormones settle.

Latest posts

Back