Bunny Ideas and Accessories

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i noticed you all talking about them for awhile etc, and have noticed them in the pictures on this thread, that some of you use grass mating or something for the litter trays? What is that green mat thing in Pebbles litter tray? And can you get them in england? And plus are they easy to clean or do you throw them away?Sorry just realy interested lol. As i use sawdust for mine and i get through an awful lot in a month. Also are they any good at soaking up urine? Thank you all!

jordiwes wrote:
I've gotta get a Netherland Dwarf! Either that, or bunnynap Pebbles...
:nonono: No bunnynapping here.

Even if you tried Pebbles will be too quick for you. :bunnybutt:

Also, see how she can toss this paper roll.

hsvwia.jpg

Rainbows! :D

Linz_1987 wrote:
What is that green mat thing in Pebbles litter tray? And can you get them in england? And plus are they easy to clean or do you throw them away? Sorry just realy interested lol. As i use sawdust for mine and i get through an awful lot in a month. Also are they any good at soaking up urine? Thank you all!
Hi Linz, The plastic mat or a plastic canvas is a stitching screen found in hobby shops or dollar stores. I get mine at the dollar stores in the craft section. It costs 50 cents / sheet. I just use a pair of scissors and cut it to fit the litter box. It is great to keep Pebbles from digging in the litter. The pee drains through and the poops stay on top for easy cleaning. This way you can monitor how much she poops and pees. Here is the link on my litter box..... http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9548&forum_id=1&page=4 Rainbows! :D Edit: It is on page 3, the64th post on the thread.

Thanks for a wonderfull step by step guide Pet_bunny, I think I am gonna try that for my netherland dwarf and if i can find a bigger box for my english lop.

Tina, would you mind posting a picture of how you make the baskets into hay racks...not sure I'm following you. Thanks!!

This is a great topic! I love all these ideas!
Here's a pic of a litter box I got for my monsters. It is for cats, but I find it great for buns.

I put the litter in the bottom tray (it comes with two bottom trays, so you always have a spare) and hay in the 'sifting' tray that is placed on top of the litter.
They sit and eat, pee and poop.
The pee and poop drops down to the litter, keeping the hay relatively clean. The only problem I've found is that Maggie's poops are SOOOO BIG (mind you - I know that is a GOOD thing..:)) that they don't fit through the holes! But that was remedied by clipping a few here and there to make BIGGER holes for them to pass,
Here's a website link to where you can get one that is the cheapest I found. Some places were charging $35 to $50 for them!

http://animainia.com/pro186290.html

I've seen that box, and we were thinking of getting it for our cat. It wouldn't fit in our rabbit cage though,well, it would, but then they wouldn't have as much room. But I like the box.

Here's something I just found at the DollarRama Store. For a dollar of course. :cool:

It's a Cable Tidy Kit that wraps bundles of wire and cables into aplastic flexible tube. It was very easy to insertwith a Glide Clip (included) and it comes in a 6.5 foot length tubing.

i1egx4.jpg

Rainbows! :D

C.S.I. Anyone?

I had Pebbles on the kitchen floor today. She was under the kitchen table and she must of peed on the floor. I didn't notice until I put her back in her cage. I could smell it but didn't know where it was.

Now I remembered at the petshop, they were selling a blacklight kit to detect urine stains. I have onefrom my car so I used it to scan the floor, and it works! Pebbles pee glowed like green antifreeze under the blacklight. I quickly cleaned it up before my wife found out.
In my haste, I should of took pictures to show you before I cleaned it up. Maybe next time. ;)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
C.S.I. Anyone?

I had Pebbles on the kitchen floor today. She was under the kitchen table and she must of peed on the floor. I didn't notice until I put her back in her cage. I could smell it but didn't know where it was.

Now I remembered at the petshop, they were selling a blacklight kit to detect urine stains. I have onefrom my car so I used it to scan the floor, and it works! Pebbles pee glowed like green antifreeze under the blacklight. I quickly cleaned it up before my wife found out.
In my haste, I should of took pictures to show you before I cleaned it up. Maybe next time. ;)
LOL! That's neat :D

Jan

I know others have done it, but there aren't any pictures in this thread. I made a hay rack out of a wire shelving cube- the same kind I used to make the cage. The ones at the store don't hold enough for Fey and Sprite- Fey can clean one out by herself in half a day!

ou2owo.jpg

All I did was bend the rack in the middle. Be careful not to snap the wire like I did in one spot. I coated the wire ends in super glue so they wouldn't scratch. You can't see it in the picture, but I zip tied a piece of cardboard to the back so the hay won't fall out and make a mess. Then I zip tied the top of the rack to the cage.

Here is another idea for people taking their bunnies outside for the first time.

I used a cage top for Cocoa to keep her safe andsecure, as a bonding method forthe two bunnies
to get use to each other while outside.

Also it keeps rabbits safe from cats and birds while they are outside.

IMGA2050.jpg

Rainbows! :)

Edit: To repost the missing picture.

Yeah it is an excellent idea. I use a cage lid for my guinea pigs when they go in the garden in the summer, so they can get a spot on the lawn with lots of juicy grass to hide and nibble on.

I never thought of posting it on here though :)

Runestonez wrote:
Uhm...for those of you who have wood in the bottom of your hutches I had a suggestion...When we built our hutch we made it out of wood. But to make the floors easy to clean we used contact cement and put arborite on it. It practically lasts forever and is super easy to clean. If you aren't picky about colour you can find some sheets that are dirt cheap! We got our sheets for $1.50 each, much cheaper than replacing the wood floor!! Just an idea. :D

Hello,

I have some tips too. I love this thread.

Peanut dug everything out of the litter box the first and second night we had her and b/c she chews like crazy... So, I used a cookie cooling rack in the litter box. She would have shreddedaplastic screen. Our litter box is just a kitty litter box.

Also to protect our French doors in the kitchen and the wall behind their pen we have two large sheets of plexi glass. You can see through them so people do not notice that anything is against our walls. We only put the sheet in front of the door when they are out in the kitchen. We also use plexi glass to barricade off our television so they cannot get back to the wires and the remote can still control the TV, DVD etc...

For their cage we currently use a Midwest dog exercise pen.
EX544-36.jpg

Under the pen is a piece of linoleum.Clean up is a breeze... we justfold up the cage, sweep up the hey and fur, clean the floor, spray the cage with a hose andthen put the cage backwhen it dries.

You can configure them to any shape. We keep it 2 panels wide by one panel deep. There are 8 panels and they measure: 24x36" To take them out on the deck with us we open it to the full 8 panels & when they stay at my parents when we are out of town, my parents have enough space to let them have it open full all of the time.

It is easy to transport because it folds flat. However it is not an inexpensive accessory, but many cages are not anyway.

Christine

hh2420 wrote:
using the setup Pet-Bunny uses for pebbles (with the woody pet and stitching screen) this makes it easier to maintain the litter. I keep some little baggies near the litter box and just scoop out soiled litter a few times a day. This helps a lot.

Here is my set up...

IMGA1039.jpg

As you can see below, I have a home made garbage box for the soiled litter.
I used clear tape to water proof the box, and to make a handle for the lid.

13149.jpg

The box issmall enough to hold a shopping bag, andthe lidis large enough to cover the box.
The lid hides the mess and keeps the odor from smelling.

13150.jpg

Itis easy to scoop a little at a time, orempty part of the litter box, and close the lid when I'm finished.
When the bag is full (in about a week) I throw it out.

13151.jpg

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back