Bunny Ideas and Accessories

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pet_Bunny

Reaction score
As most of you know,Iuse a plastic screenforPebbles' litterbox.It was a very inexpensive item at the Dollar store,butyet it saved me alot of money in litter and it's much easier to cleanandit keeps the litter from being kicked out.

IMGA1303.jpg

As you see inPebbles' cage,the stool and bowls were all from the Dollar store.Her litter box is just a plastictray that Iput in acardboard box to make the edges higher.The cardboard box gives Pebbles something to chew on and is easily replaceable.

Justrecently, I bought someKaytee Timothy Cubes from a local pet shopafter reading that some of the members here are using them.I never realized they were so hard and quite messywhen Pebblesgnaws at the cube.She was having a tough timekeeping itin placeas shetries to bite down on it.Then shetakes itallover her cagemaking a mess with the crumbs.So this is the solution that I came up with.....

I use one clamp to holdand secure the hay cube.

fvb42e.jpg

ThenI used a second clamptosecurethe firstclamp to the edge of the cage.

Third,I placed a bowlunder the hay cubeto catch all the crumbs.

fvb4t2.jpg

Now Pebbles can get a good bite out of the hay cube and enjoy her meal.

fvb529.jpg

If you have any other ideas on making things easieror things you use to enjoy your bunny better, please share them here. It may be some bunny proofing idea or something that saves you time and money that we use for our bunnies.

Rainbows! :D

I was having a hard time finding grassmats for my bunns to chew. I finally found them and they are $6 each. Ihave 6 bunns and that is really expensive after awhile. So I went toWalmart and found the grass paper plate holders 6 for $1. The bunns love them. They sit in them and chew away. They also make awesome bunny frisbees.

For hay racks I go to the Dollar store and buy slotted baskets. I cut the slats on one long side and voila instant large hayrack. I use either zipties to attach them or the carbiner clips.

I put a puppy training pad under the hay rack and feederunder the cage. Any loose hay and fines end up on the pad and notall over the floor.

Oh instead of having bunny toys laying allaround I bought a wicker basket to keep them all in. Now the toys are all in one place and even the basket can be chewed.

That's all I can think of right now.

Tina

I absolutely burst out laughing when I saw thehay cube in the clamp. My girls LOVE their hay cubes and makea HUGE mess when eating them. Don't take this wrong (meant intotally good nature), but my first thought was "my, how anal arewe!". Your bunnies are totally adorable and I love your idea.

The first clamp isa 1 1/2 inch Quick-Gripthat tightens as you squeeze down on it.Itopensonly whenyoupressa release lever.

The second is a heavy spring clamp.

I use them because it doesn't move when Pebbles is chewing on the hay cube. :D

The cube will eventually fall out whenit gets small enough.By thenPebblescan eat whats left of it.

I also cut the regular Timothy Hay into smallerpieces to fit in her bowl.Thisway Pebbles will eat out of the bowl. It is neaterand cleaner that way. As you know, some of thosestrands can be so long.Ihave a hay rack, but never use it.

Rainbows! :)

Pet Bunny ~

Great ideas! It takes a lot of creativity to come up withthings like that...well for me anyway. My buns LOVE those haycubes, and Bunny is always scooting that thing around the floor or inhis cage. You're a bunny genius! :D

-k

I just love what you did with the clamp!

And Tina, thanks for that idea with the grass paper plate holders. I'm so going to get some the next time we're at Walmart. Hopefully we'll find some this time of year. We were getting untreated wicker baskets at Michael's for a dollar a piece, but they haven't had any in for awhile now. Hopefully they're carry them again soon, it was the favorite chew toy for my rabbits.

I use plastic shelves that were made to go over the toilet in Mocha and Loki's cage to add a small ledge. For stabilization, I use a second shelf above the cage ceiling and the pipes are tied to the side of the cage just below the shelf.

fvwq9w.jpg

I wouldn't recommend using it for a bun much bigger than Loki. He's about 5 pounds. A bigger rabbit would have trouble moving on the small shelf and would probably be too heavy. As it is, I recently had to replace the shelf with an extra one I had laying around as heavy bunny butts were making it crackin the middle. Of course, I had been using these shelves for their intended purpose all through college so they weren't exactly inperfect condition to start with.

I guess this counts too.

I couldn't find hay racks that could hold enough hay for my boys (hay crazy bunnies) but I found this at Ikea:

35729_PE126620_S4.jpg

It's comparable to a hay rack you buy at the store for price but itdoesn't require filling so much. It was perfect for my bunnies!

Great idea MBB!! I also have hay lovers, so I got a rectangular plastic flower pot, I think it's about 18 inches long. I then buy Kaytee hay and I can put the whole package of Kaytee hay in the flower pot. They like it a lot.

Megan

I like this thread - so many innovative ideas! I've seen wicker paper plate holders before, but are they completely untreated? I'm always paranoid about buying stuff for the buns to eat or chew unless I know for sure there's nothing added.

I finally found the eggcrate stuff (the sheets of grated plastic) to try for a grate over the litter in the litterbox, but haven't tried using it yet. I have to figure out how to cut it because I have a feeling I'll need some kind of special cutter, which I don't have, lol. I'm such a dunce when it comes to tools and stuff like this. :?

I buy a lot of wicker stuff from Ikea for the bunnies. Why? Because Ikea lists all the materials used in and on their products if you look online. I buy wicker 'jars', balls, and other small decoration items because online it specifically says "peeled willow" and that's it, nothing else so it means they don't use a finish.

Other than that, I don't buy things for the bunnies that they can eat from other stores unless I know for sure.

The flower pot is a great idea but it would never work for my boys. Spice has a habit of eating plastic (sometimes even hard plastic). I used to have a Tupperware container as a water bowl, until Spice ate it. So needless to say, if your bunny is like mine, a metal rack is the best -- as long as you don't mind hearing metal being tossed around at night. ;)

I use dish bins I got at the dollar store for litter boxes. They work great and come in many different sizes.

HarleyEating.jpg

cageCloseUp.jpg

Wildfire-What.jpg

As you can see, my buns really enjoy sitting in their boxes.I've even come home to find Wildfire asleep in one, resting her head onthe edge.

--Dawn

So cute! Great ideas! I have to buy every thing for my rabbit and sometiems she can cost a fortune! (When it comes to go visit mr.vet!). So I'm alwayslooking for inexpensive ways to do things. I buy the timothy hay cubes too! my rabbit loves to take abpart the sections and throw them around so I think she would be quit upset if I clamped it to the side of her cage!LOL! Shredded paper also works for in the cage, isntead of buying shavings and they love to throw it around adn chew it, plus hey, it's good for teh enviroment! If you ever need a new cage,. and on a tight budget, here's a GREAT idea for a cage that you can make as big as you can and how ever you want it!:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html

There was another one, but I think they deleted it from the website.

Latest posts

Back