Bunny eating pee pads!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
I got Arlo on March 7th. He’s only 2 months old. For the most part he’s been doing really good and isn’t really chewing things he’s not supposed to. But this morning I caught him chewing the pee pads in his playpen (his playpen has to interlocking foam mats and then pee pads above it) he was chewing the pee pad that’s right underneath his litter box. I put a cardboard box down and his hay mat on top of it but now he’s chewing the other corner. I’m not super worried since it appears to be tiny pieces of it and sometimes he actually eats it and other times he just leaves it there. I was just wondering if anyone had any other solutions to prevent/stop him for doing this.

Disposable pee pads pose a chewing risk, as has been explained before. You don't want him ingesting any of the pee pad.

But the washable pee pads are made with fleece. Your rabbit has been chewing fleece too. You'll have to see whether or not he chews the fleece potty pads.

Do you have an updated photo of your set-up?

I used to use pee pads and after numerous litter configurations, the best one I've had uses a hooded cat litter box. I put a thin layer of Yesterday's News Litter at the bottom and cover with a nonstick cooling rack. I'll put the links below for anyone interested! The cooling rack has little legs so it's taller than the litter and it fits perfectly for the litter box that I use. Then I put a bunch of hay on top of this near the back of the litter box. It's so easy to clean since everything falls to the bottom and they can't dig up not eat the litter.

Cooling Rack: 11.1"x16" Steel Cooling Rack Gold - Made By Design™

Litter box: Sophresh medium or small cat litter box (the hood sold separately)

Litter: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/purina-yesterdays-news-unscented-cat-litter

the best one I've had uses a hooded cat litter box
I highly suggest removing the hood from the litter box. Rabbits have very delicate respiratory systems and since the hood prevents the box from airing out and could harm your rabbit.

I highly suggest removing the hood from the litter box. Rabbits have very delicate respiratory systems and since the hood prevents the box from airing out and could harm your rabbit.
If you use a litter that doesn't disintegrate and also clean at least 2x a week, it's actually fine. I take my bunnies to the vet regularly and they've never experienced any respiratory issues. I agree though, if your bunny has experienced respiratory problems, removing the hood would be a good suggestion.

If you use a litter that doesn't disintegrate and also clean at least 2x a week, it's actually fine. I take my bunnies to the vet regularly and they've never experienced any respiratory issues. I agree though, if your bunny has experienced respiratory problems, removing the hood would be a good suggestion.
Since my husband decided not to get a hooded litterbox, I "made" a hood out of CC Grid (though two shelves high for the top as it levels with my desk), and it works great for my bunny. It gives the illusion of a hooded litterbox and won't trap the smells which can lead to respiratory issues.

Hi. I read their poops are good as fertilizers. Currently, I scooped the poop and bedding out and put in a pail of water which will separate the bedding (sinks) and her poop (floats). I was thinking of using a reusable pee pads instead of the bedding below the cage (pull-out tray). Questions, will it smell and what is the frequency of me changing/washing the pee pad? 8520C394-400D-495A-AC27-CA66B269AE63.jpeg

I was thinking of using a reusable pee pads instead of the bedding below the cage (pull-out tray). Questions, will it smell and what is the frequency of me changing/washing the pee pad?

The pee pads will smell... terribly. I would not recommend them.

Rather than loose bedding, you could use wood pellets (like what is used for wood pellet stoves or for horse stalls). Then you can make use of the poos and pellets for fertilizer -- no need to separate anymore.
This link shows how this can be setup:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
[As a side note, I noticed your pretty housing set-up under the cages thread. You may want to add at least one more grid to the height of the outer walls. Any rabbit could hop over a single grid with ease-- whenever the mood may happen to strike.]

I use pee pads, I found if it fits perfectly flush to the bottom of the litter tray and doesnt kind of come on the sides, there’s less of chance. Your bun is quite young and is just being cheeky. I had my bun completely yank the whole pee pad out of his litter tray and rolled it up like a burrito! Does he dig through whatever else your using to get to it? If so it could be a scent the pad is giving off?

Latest posts

Back