Bunny doesn't feel well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlin

Reaction score
I never know what is an emergency with a rabbit. My one year old Mini Holland Lop starting feeling off on Thursday. He didn't want to get out of his pen and run around and he hadn't drank any water. He was still eating pellets and greens, but I'm not so sure about how much hay. Friday was a bit of the same, but he acted like he felt better after I gave him infant gas drops. His poops were smaller and so was the amount of urine in his box.
Over night from Friday to Saturday he drank his whole bowl of water. This morning he came out and had a bit of a run and ate some hay. Still ate all his pellets and ate greens.
I took him to the vet today anyway and she gave him med for gut motility and administered fluids. When we got home he went straight in his hut. Now he doesn't want to come out of his pen. He's been lying down flat with his head stretched out flat. When I moved his hut he changed positions, ate something from the floor of his pen (hay? poop?) and then hopped into his litter box. He peed, groomed his face for a second and then meatloafed. He ignores me when I talk to him. He's panting a bit, which is probably what is worrying me the most. I don't know why he would be panting if he hasn't been running around.

I would keep an eye on him and if it doesn't get better or gets worse get him back to the vet. Good luck to you and your rabbit :)

It isn't always crystal clear when a vet might be needed.

On Friday when he started feeling better after the infant gas drops, I probably would have waited to see how he would do since it seemed like he was on the mend. Saturday would have made me feel even better about his improvement. The stress of going to the vet can cause issues too, so I'd guess that his behavior after the vet's was from the stress of the visit.

dear merlin,-your concern is good,-infant simethicone{,most likely took care of the problem}-just feel and listen to the gi tract,--and-sounds like the dvm gave you reglyn,-for gi mobility{watch the poops-}this med may not be necessary,--and sounds like the dvm gave sub Q-fluids-that's ok,-he should pee like a race horse-and eat grasses..--what is an emergency-with-prey critters-??-they are hard wired to hide any pain-,therefore observation and experience are mandatory..-diet is 70%grasses,some quality pellets-for vitamins/minerals-and lots of h2o...an exotic dvm is worth his weight in gold.-take alook at the r.o.l.library or www.medirabbit.com -poops,etc.-sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail/b-denium

Latest posts

Back