Bunny chewing things

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyrabbit

Reaction score
It's getting on to winter where I live and I made my rabbit a cardboard house to keep the heat in at night, as it gets quite cool, but as soon as I put it in her indoor cage she starts chewing the edges of it. Last winter she did the same until the walls were demolished. Is there anything I can paint on the edges to stop her chewing? Non toxic but perhaps bitter. She likes being in the box but continues chewing away at the back of it.

I also don't let her run around the house as she'll hide and chew things as well. If I put chew toys in her cage she ignores them.

Attachments

• rabbit house.png
    rabbit house.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
She is being a typical rabbit. I'd say let her chew the cardboard to her heart's content! It gives her something to do and amuses her. It is also so cheap to replace.

As for running around the house, the area needs to be bunny proofed beforehand. Just as someone with a newborn baby will baby-proof by blocking plugs, putting latches on cabinets, etc. , the same applies for a rabbit. Certain steps need to be taken to protect your belongings and the rabbit.

Very few of my rabbits ever played on chew toys either. They prefer cardboard boxes, tp tubes, tunnels, etc.

https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bunny-proofing/

Attachments

• boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 3
Just make her another cardboard house when she's done with the first, I have some chewers as well I change their cardboard boxes and bridges every week or two, thankfully cardboard is not that expensive. Also it is great that they are busy chewing and rearranging it that keeps them moving so keeps them warm.

Wooden house would last longer it can also be lined with cardboard.

Also may I ask is there regular cat litter in her litterbox? I've heard that only wood litter is safe for rabbits and other cat litter is dangerous for them

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back