bunny chewing on wire mesh fence

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by caseita, Jan 2, 2020.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 2, 2020 #1

caseita

caseita

caseita

Hi everyone

My rabbit was able to chew a big part of the wire mesh of his x pen cage, i was wondering if using cardboard would be better? i don't know what to do anymore. He's not spayed/neutered yet because it's still a young bunny, will he calm down when after that?

i'd appreaciate some advice, thanks so much

2. Jan 2, 2020 #2

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

He could be bored. Providing activities like a dig box(cardboard box with entrance hole cut in filled with crumpled paper), rabbit safe branches(apple, willow, hawthorn, etc), tunnels, etc, can help curb the behavior. If he's doing it just cause he wants out, you could zip tie cardboard to the wire mesh so he can't get to the wire. This would give him the alternative of ripping up the cardboard instead, then just replace the cardboard as needed. One thing with cardboard though, it's fine if they rip it up and maybe ingest very small bits and amounts, but if excessive amounts or large pieces are consumed, this can possibly pose a risk of digestive obstruction occurring, as cardboard doesn't disintegrate in the digestive tract. So I would just monitor if the cardboard is mostly being ripped up or being consumed, and how much.

caseita likes this.
  3. Jan 2, 2020 #3

Preitler

Preitler

Preitler

Loony bunny guy Supporting Member

If he likes chewing, put a soft wood board where he does it, with a little distance to the wire so he can enjoy it. I have such sacrifice boards on the inside of some hutch doors.
    Also tree branches might occupy him enough to lose interest in wire.

caseita likes this.
  4. Jan 3, 2020 #4

caseita

caseita

caseita

thanks, i'll try

Draft saved Draft deleted