Bunny bath?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patches2593

Reaction score
my bunny is 3 months old (flemish giant) and is not litter box trained. he has pee all over his paws and tail and i was wondering if i could give him a bath just to wash those dirty areas so not like a full on bath? is it too cold? would i use baby shampoo?

I bath my whole bunny but only because he enjoys it. many will tell you to just wash the dirty parts. which is less stressful for your rabbit. yes baby shampoo :)

Bathing a bunny can be dangerous it can kill them. But you can do is a butt bath and clean their butt with a mild soap or use baby wipes.

For his tail and paws you can use a damp washcloth just on those areas. But it really shouldn't even be needed if you can set the cage up so that he can't stand or sit in his pee. Once that is done, he will clean himself well enough that you won't need to intervene.

A rabbit should not be given a full bath - even if just plain water is used. A rabbit's skin is far too delicate for regular water baths and definitely should not have any soap of any kind. Both the HOuse RAbbit Society in the US, and the RAWL in the UK warn against ever bathing rabbits.

If you need tips on keeping your bunny out of his urine, just ask.

:no:I don't recommend giving a bath unless he has "poopy butt".:bunnybutt: Bathing your rabbit has many high health and emotional risks. I would look for a safe to use wipe to try if it's only certain parts of your bunny. If he does have "poopy butt" or you can not clean him off with rabbit-safe wipes for some reason, I would watch this video where they explain how to clean only the bottom and avoid damaging your rabbit's safety and mentality.

http://rabbit.org/do-rabbits-need-to-be-bathed/

• Do not entirely soak your rabbit
  • Rabbit fur also often clumps when wet so you will need to gently assist in drying with a soft towel.
  • Bathing your rabbit often leads to him going into shock and he can panic, causing major injuries.
  • Never start routinely bathing your rabbit. They are self cleaners and this will do more harm than good.
  • Bathing can also lead to ear infections, hypothermia, pneumonia, and other psychological scare.

If you must, watch the video on how to do the "butt bath" but I urge you to be cautious and avoid areas that don't need it. Good luck I hope this helped!:bunny24

Latest posts

Back