Bunnies need a new home :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elphaba

Reaction score
I have two rabbits that need to find homes.Sadly, they are my rabbits and I have to rehome them. I need to be sure that they go to a good home where they will be kept as indoor companion animals.

There are a few reasons I cannot keep them but the most important is that I am no longer able to provide the level of care that I once did which is unfair to them.

I used to live in Toronto but I now live in New Liskeard where I suspect rabbits are kept mostly for show, meat or as outdoor "pets". I will be trying to find a suitable home here as well but I don't know if I will find someone here who will look after them as well as I would like. They do not live in the same pen as one of them is not entirely friendly with other quadrupeds, but they are used to being neighbours. As long as they each go to a home where they are given lots of attention they will thrive.

Yero is a castor mini-rex, neutered. He is very well socialized with people and is very used to handling. You can do almost anything with him and he will cooperate. He was spoiled when he was young and does try to nip when he's not getting his way but doesn't do this with people he knows well. He is not compatible with dogs or cats as he will try to attack them. I believe he could live with another rabbit with a very looooooong socialization period, but I wouldn't recommend it as he can be unpredictable with other rabbits. He would do best in a home that could give him lots of one-on-one attention (especially grooming, a favour which he readily returns!). He's a very sweet boy who used to lay with his head on my shoulder while I read.

Lady is a black and white spayed lop. I believe she would do well with a rabbit companion as she is very interested in her neighbour Yero despite his obvious dislike for her. She is alright around cats once she has gotten used to them but has never interacted with them beyond looking and sniffing through bars. She is TERRIFIED of dogs. She is not nippy or aggressive in any way but it takes a looooong time to earn her trust. She was originally bought by a family who kept her in a guinea pig cage (she's a pretty big girl) before going to THS and then coming home with me a few years ago. She's very adventurous and loves to explore new environments. She has a very animated personality and is a pleasure to sit back and watch.

Both of them are used to eating oxbow hay (a variety of everything but alfalfa) and pellets (timothy). I switch their hay often so they aren't stuck on one particular type. They would each come with some food and hay depending on how much is left when I find a home. As mentioned, both rabbits are altered. They each have their own 4x4 pen. (Lady's is double the height because she's a jumper!) They have a water bottle, water bowl (which attaches to the pen), food bowl and litterbox each that would go with them as well as some other accessories.

Anyone interested can send me a private message here and I will provide my email address so we can discuss it further.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm at a loss for what to do. Its hard to find a good home because most people still think of rabbits as "cage animals" and "pocket pets" and assume they require little care and attention. Also, I don't really want to rehome them so I dont think I'm looking as hard as I should be.

Do you NEED to re-them, or just thinking in their best interest.
Either way,
if you are to re-home them, you just have to have faith in yourself for picking a good person or else you'll never stop 'are they okay' 'what does she do different'
Just trust that you can pick a good bunparent :)

I need to rehome them BECAUSE it's in their best interest. I've had it in the back of mind for a few months now and I've been selfish in putting it off because I want to keep them. But the fact of the matter is I am not giving them the care I used to and there is no way to remedy that for at least another two years. That is too long for them to go without the attention they deserve.

You're right though. I need to convince myself that I can find someone that will look after them as well as I did and give them the attention they were used to.

That is actually a great idea that I never would have thought of!

But, good news. My older male who I'm really bonded with is going to stay with me (which is good cause I'll have a really hard time parting with him) and just downsize a bit and my girl is going home with a friend who is going to give her a good home and is really enthusiastic and happy to be taking her. It will allow me to help out with her and if for any reason she can't keep her I can take her back or find a new home myself. I can still help out with her cause my friend is new to rabbits. It's gonna be good. Provided she can take her. :)

Latest posts

Back