Bunnies Drowned at Ohio Petland

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, most of the kids we know who work at these pet stores do so because they love animals and have a zoo at home like most of us. This was an exception, but, I truly feel that the manger, owner, the photographer and Petland are all culpable. They were remiss and we all know the results. I sent an E to the Mayor's aid and the Ohio State Attorney general stating the same. They all have the same responsibility as a ship's captain. Next, I'm going to contact the news stations here as well as the editor of the pet section of the newspaper. Please don't let this just lie--get it out and keep hitting the officials in Ohio with it too. "Do not go gentle into that good night........"

Does anyone know who we would contact at the courts about her case?

Larry, I have never really gotten involved in case like I have with this one. Besides the people you mentioned in your thread, do you think there are any other officals I could contact?

Thanks Amy

:cry1::cry2:cry1::cry2:cry1:

Poor rabbits... how can anybody do such a terrible thing? Innocent little animals... :tears2:

I am glad this lady has been charged. She really deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- I hope Petland stops selling rabbits. I have sent my email. I'm so saddened by this.

My Toby came from Petland. I fell in love with him there. :tears2:

I am definitely going to kiss and hug my rabbits every night. Also tell them how much I love them and I won't let anyone hurt them in any way.

BethM: Thank your friends boyfriend for standing up for that bunny and saving its life. I am glad that bunny has a forever home and will live out its days/years with someone who loves bunnies.

im writing a email. after i some how calm down and gather my thoughts on the matter

That is just sick, drowing is one of the cruelest ways to kill an animal.

I hope she gets hard time, people just get a slap on the wrist in australia ;(

BethM wrote:
fuzz16 wrote:
i worked at a petland for two years and held a lot of pride in the job.
I have a friend who took a bunny from a Petland store in this area. Her daughter's boyfriend had gone in to buy something, and they had a small dutch rabbit in an aquarium near the cash register. He overheard two other customers telling the clerk that when they were ready to leave, they would take the rabbit to feed to their snake. The boyfriend then spoke up and said *he* was taking the rabbit. The clerk indicated that he had been told to get rid of it, and he didn't care who took it. The boyfriend got the rabbit, who now has a loving home.

Any store that could allow something like this to happen, much less the incident with the drownings, will never have my business, and I will encourage everyone I know to NEVER shop there, and to tell everyone they know to never shop there. I don't care if they know where the dogs they sell come from or not, abuse like this should never happen to any animal.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #daece5"
well technically thier franchised. i refuse to shop at mine now that i left because i know what the store has turned into...but not everyone is bad.

Lolpigs wrote:
That is just sick, drowing is one of the cruelest ways to kill an animal.

I hope she gets hard time, people just get a slap on the wrist in australia ;(
Oh my God that woman is seriously cruel and disgusting, she must have been dropped on her head as a baby. It's one thing to drown the bunnies and a whole other stage of disgusting and cruel to pose with them and ask to have a picture taken. :X

lolpigs- It's the same here in Ireland, a lady down the road just drowned a litter of kittens she found in her shed a couple of weeks ago. She did it a few months ago too and I offered to take them and catch the mother for her but nope.....

I saw the story on a different news channel this morning. Lot's of people are upset.

fuzz16 wrote:
well technically thier franchised. i refuse to shop at mine now that i left because i know what the store has turned into...but not everyone is bad.

Personally, I don't care if they're franchised or not. I will never shop at ANY Petland store. The company should have guidelines that are to be followed by all franchise locations, and those should be upheld. I have heard numerous complaints about the poor health and conditions of animals who are sold at Petland stores. Either the company does not have appropriate guidelines, or they do not bother to check to make sure those are followed. I would think they would keep an eye on things like this, as any time something bad happens in a Petland store, it reflects poorly on the company as a whole. If there are good people at some locations, they should work to change the standards of the company, or go work for somewhere that has higher standards.

This is not the only company I refuse to shop at, because I disagree with their values or practices. Some of the places are indeed franchises, but I disagree with the company as a whole, and therefore refuse to patronize any franchise location.

Bookmarking for comments later. STORIES RABBITS TELL is a good book to read with regards to treatment of rabbits at pet stores. I think kherrmann can say from a personal experience about buns or small creatures getting pulled for "good riddance" purposes...
It's good that eyes are being opened to cruelty.

Petland as a corporation should not be held responsible for the actions of individuals in it's employment.

However I do agree that these things can be avoided, most petstores in australia are owned and run by people who do love animals, rabbits however, are still treated with less respect than other animals but it is a lot better than in the states.

It is the owner of the FRANCHISE who needs to take responsibility for the actions, our major pet store franchise in Australia is PetStock and to own a franchise you must either be a vet, or have a vet in your own employment. I believe this is why we do not see such horrific cases of abuse.

I also think it should be noted that there are many more humane methods to putting down animals who need it. Drowning is a long drawn out process that is extremely painful and frightening.

Perhaps both the owner of the store who I gather was there when the event occurred, should also be prosecuted.

Can you imagine how terrible it was for those rabbits :(? Especially the paralized one :(. Only true evil can get that much joy from killing innocent animals.

Personally I don't see why people would buy animals from them at all. Around here they sell a single rabbit from 50-60$ where the SPCA will sell you one (spay/neuter included) for 40$. Their hamsters are 20-30$ each. Dogs that are basically mutts cost several hundred dollars. (they're labelled as 'breed type' or 'breed hybrid' thus saying they have no idea what they actually are, that just makes my major vet bill sensor go off) All of these pets at the SPCA are basically sold for a minimal fee that is often less than the spay/neuter itself. I could understand getting pet store animals if they were cheaper, or if they were of quality, but these animals are of no better quality or guarantee than anything you'll find at a shelter and from what I see are all much more expensive than saving an animal from the local shelters.

This sort of thing wouldn't have to happen if people weren't so grossly undereducated. So many people I've seen will not get a shelter animal because apparently the system is out to get them and withhold important history and additude information. :rollseyes Clearly they're going to adopt out a menace to society when they've probably cared for the animal for weeks/months. I know the SPCA out here won't put out animals for adoption for days until their vet has okay-d them. I'm so tired of hearing 'well they're in there for a reason, I don't want that kind of animal!' I've seen so many sweet animals in that situation due to innocent and heartbreaking reasons. A move, a family member allergic, a loss of job/living arrangement, it got too big, they trained it poorly and it has bad manners that can easily be worked on, a family member just didn't like it.

I hate Petland, they seem to have this unnatural focus on selling you animals. I go look for supplies and I can't even find a good selection of toys/accessories for anything. Drives me crazy. I figure in a large pet store like that they'd be more likely to have a decent selection of items for all animals but it's mostly just fish they worry about. Even the dog/cat stuff is fairly lacking.

Then again you have to take everything that PETA says with a grain of salt. If Petland released a statement about it, they're either just covering their tracks and ignoring what really happened or it did happen as they said it did. I don't really like PETA, most of what they say is horribly exaggerated.

This is why I hate Petland. They don't even care about their animals. It's so sad. I bought a hamster there in March and 2 days later, he died. :'( After he died I realized that he did look a little sick when I got him.

And I bought Nibbles from Petland. That was the first time I've ever been there and I was really young. I'm glad he's okay.

Happi Bun wrote:
Baby Juliet wrote:
Could be a fake. Any one tried to find the actual facebook entry?
I honestly don't see how (or why) it could be a fake.
Like Juliet, I'm very wary of PETA reports. They tend to stage events for their benefit.

But beyond that, I am just sickened that a photo has documented an event such as this, whether it was some random girl at a Petlandor a psycho at PETA. The act of torturing an animal is beyond my comprehension and you'd have to be a very mentally disturbed person to do such a thing. I just can't even fathom the thought of it.:expressionless

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
...I'm very wary of PETA reports. They tend to stage events for their benefit.

But beyond that, I am just sickened that a photo has documented an event such as this, whether it was some random girl at a Petlandor a psycho at PETA. The act of torturing an animal is beyond my comprehension and you'd have to be a very mentally disturbed person to do such a thing. I just can't even fathom the thought of it.:expressionless

You've stated my thoughts exactly.

I'd intially wondered if it was a PETA-faked photo. Nowknowing that it wasn't fake leaves me feeling beyond sad for those sweet creatures. And the very idea of someone being able to smile about purposefullykilling any animal--especially ones as sweet-hearted and cute as rabbits--horrifies me.

Latest posts

Back