Built a 3 story condo for my buns.... They could care less

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondiesmommie

Reaction score
LOL so I built a 3 story luxurious condo for my buns, and they only hang out on the first level. Anyone else buns care less about your blood, sweat and tears of a cage you built??? Haha
:dunno

Maybe the shelfs are to high for them to jump up on? I have found that my shelfs have to be 7 mini squares from the bottom of the cage for the rabbits to hop up. I also covered the shelfs in flees and now my rabbits use them.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
They are a lot like children, except they are cleaner.

Haha I can vouge for that, I have a 1 year old lol

And the shelves aren't high at all. My female doesn't like to, so my male doesn't bc he's obsessed with her LOL but I think he would, if she did.

I'll have to figure something out :) They're lucky I love their smushy butts

Just give it time. Some of mine could take up to a week or two before venturing up to the other levels.

Just be patient!! They will soon love it!

and Jack is making me look like a liar.... HAHAHAHA

C48D92C6-B676-4400-8403-B493BC5D21E7-7991-000007E3D843ACE1.jpg

0EAD91F2-0D82-4368-AF76-96BE33D5BF26-7991-000007E3DEA86306.jpg

I have a suggestion you could consider. I see you only made it one grid deep because of that door there. But what if you kept everything just the same but made half of it 2 grids deep? In other words, the right half of the cage would come out further on that white flooring.

That would give them tons more space and room to move around comfortably. Then they might also enjoy the upper levels more.:D

I love all the toys you have in there for them!

:yeahthat:

Totally agree. I hate to seem like we are criticizing your hard work. It is a great job! But think about it from a buns perspective. What can they do on the levels besides sit there? There isn't enough room for them to explore so it's more like a "perch" which chinchillas or ferrets might like but rabbits like the option to hop at least a couple times across. I would agree to make it wider.

Agnes has a 3 level condo too and loves all her levels.

Again, not criticizing your hardwork, just giving some pointers.

Good luck! :)

You mean make the whole thing like longer? Or wider? It's actually only 1 grid wide, and I can't do either bc of the back door, we let our dogs out there, and the water heater is on the other side lol

blondiesmommie wrote:
You mean make the whole thing like longer? Or wider? It's actually only 1 grid wide, and I can't do either bc of the back door, we let our dogs out there, and the water heater is on the other side lol
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.
I was suggesting you make use of that white part just the way it is -- half of it anyway.
Let me see if I can explain it better. If you look straight on at your cage, it is 4 grids wide (left to right) with a depth of 1 grid. Of the 4 grids that face you, the 2 on the left will remain untouched (so the door can open). But the 2 grids on the right will be altered to be a full 2 grids deep (rather than the current way which is just 1 deep).
Let me see if I can draw a quick sketch to explain better...

msncsp.jpg

So the left is the footprint of your current cage showing 4 grids by 1 grid. The 2nd shows what I mean. It would still by 4 grids wide so it won't interfere with the water heater. It will stick out further into the room, but only on the one side so that the door can still be open.

Oops! I just saw it is 5 grids wide. Anyway, same idea applies.

Have you tried taking the hanging toys out of the middle and making the leopard shelf one grid smaller? It just doesn't seem like they have enough space to comfortably jump unless they kinda climbed since there's nowhere to really back up for leverage.

Also, I think making it two grids wide where it won't interfere with the door is a fabulous suggestion :)

I totally agree with making it a little bit wider in places. You will have so much more space to do things with it that way. Your bunnies will also really enjoy it.

One thing I just noticed. You have the bigger hole grids in that cage. Make sure that your rabbits can not fit their head through that or even their bodies. I had an adult Mini Rex that was fat. She was able to get out of a cage made with those bigger grid pannles. Just something that you should think about.

Latest posts

Back