Building the bunny run and hutch. :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I have already posted about hopefully being able to adopt 2 beautiful boys, and today we started on building their new home!

When I say "we"... I stood by and watched my Dad for moral support. ;) Hehe. I also like to think of myself as a project manager perhaps? Anyway! Here are the pictures.

So far we have built the frame for the run which will be covered in chicken wire. The run will be on concrete slabs so that the bunnies can't dig out, any predator cant dig in, and also it's somewhere to keep their claws down. :) They'll be given the run of the (bunny proofed) garden when I'm home to watch over them also. :)

The run is just over 6ft in length, 2ft4 high and 4ft deep. On top of that we're going to place their hutch which is going to be the same length, 2ft high and 3 ft deep. They'll have a "communal" area in the hutch and then a little cubby hole. :) There will be a ramp going from the hutch down to the run 24/7 so they will have a lot of room to hop about when I'm out. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

We just stared building our tun today! Yours is much larger however! Lucky bunnys you have =]

RhiRhi we just did ours today and they are right, The chicken wire is not the best after putting it on i can see that. I will be getting something else in a week or so... Stan has not been chewing on it but marci has been and i dont want to take any chances. I mean that stuff hurts im scared if they chomp down they will get seriously hurt, He will def not be in the chicken wire run unless im out there, untill it is redone with a better wire. I actually though of just putting NIC grids on it instead maybe thats a option for you as well!

I've always used chicken wire on my runs, the runs I have now have is chicken wire and they have never chewed it in 3 years.
Unless a bunny has chicken wire on a really small run I don't think they will chew through it..

I've kept rabbits for 16 years and not one has gotten out or chewed through. Possibly what we call chicken wire over here is stronger or maybe just different materials under different names. Thanks for your concern though, guys. :) I think 1375bunnylover can agree considering yours haven't chewed out either?

Update:

According to my brother the mesh we're using is galvanised steel mesh. :p I'd like to see the boys chew their way out of that one. ;) Hehe. My bad for calling it chicken wire... It's just a nick name I guess. :)

The shell is pretty much complete! The walls and roof are on the hutch. We just need to get the felt on the roof, the mesh on the doors and on the run, and we need to get the flooring and doors on. :)

For the bedroom I wanted to make it as small and intimate as possible so I halved the height which allowed us to include a little shelf on top, giving the bunnies another little something to keep themselves out of mischief. The door for the bedroom compartment will be on the side and not on the front as it allows easier access as the hutch is so big. :)

I'm so excited!!!

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

WOW this is looking awesome!!! I could never have done that good of a job myself

I've very impressed! It looks great!

For mesh, the best option is weld mesh which is rectangular/square, each joint is 'welded' at the corner. With chicken wire the wire is just twisted around itself at the joints so it's less sturdy. Personally, I think the weld mesh looks a lot nicer too (if that's a concern). Chicken wire tends to bow out and deform were as weld mesh gives you a nice flat/neat look.

They both come in different guages (wire thicknesses) 19g is fairly standard or 16g if you are worried about predators.

Wow, I am so impressed with your dad, he´s done a fantastic job, your buns are so lucky and I´m sure they´ll love their new home. I can´t wait to see the finished thing.

Looks great! Can't wait to see the final thing. . . and how they get from one level to the next. :)

Hey guys! The bunnies are all settled in and loving their new palace! I'm going to take pictures of the finished thing once I'm able to shift the left over bits of wood and mesh etc. I want it to be picture perfect! ;)

Can´t wait to see it, it looked fantastic. Hope they´re nice and warm and cosy cos the weather over there doesn´t look good :thumbup

It's freezing and there's lots of snow but they've been outside all their lives so it's the best place for them. :) I've been giving them extra hay in their little cubby hole and I put a house brick in the oven at 200 degrees C for 2 hours, then wrapped it up in a thick old towel then popped that in their hutch. :)

Back