Buffy could be paralysed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to realise that maybe becos yesterday I started to put the bowl of water beside him, he is drinking a lot. Maybe thats why he doesnt seem to stop peeing. For today ... he seemed fine. He is stronger to even drag himself out of his little corner. When I got back home this afternoon, I was so shocked to see him sleeping so soundly on the carpetin my living room. Poor Buffy....

Myfeelings says that Buffy is doing fine and is covering soon. I tried pressing his toes to see if he pulls away and he did. Hes right leg is stronger while hisleft leg reacts weakly. Anyway ... I think those are signs.

Now ... Buffy is eating ... drinking ... peeing ... pooping. I am just waiting for the moment that he is going to be running again.

The treatments that treasuredfriend mention seemed hard to be found here. Even if its easy, I think I am too scared to do anything on my own. I will just wait for the doctor to give whatever needed later for Buffy's next visit.

I havent gone to the vet that I mentioned about better inhandling rabbits. I need to get Buffy's X-rays from the previous clinic and then bring it to the other clinic I plan to go. I dont want Buffy to suffer for another X-ray. Also ... I havent got the time to collect the X-rays. I will soon.

Btw ... Buffy is not dribbling anymore.

Excellent! He was probably thirsty and drank too much when you first gave him water.
You need to keep him confined so he can not crawl around too much. He has to rest the muscles to give them time to heal. Hopefully he will be much better in 2-3 weeks!

Here is the nutrional info on Neuroforte. It contains B6, not B12, and lots of other things beside: "Neuroforte contains essential nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which help to support the nervous system"
Nutritional: Each tablet contains: Vitamin C, 60mg (100% RDA). Nicotinamide, 18mg (100% RDA). Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCI), 5mg (250% RDA). Magnesium, 100mg (33% RDA). Lecithin* (Phosphatidyl), 50mg. L-Phenylalanine*, 100mg. L-Tyrosine*, 100mg. L-Glutamine*, 100mg. Choline*, 50mg. Inositol*, 50mg. Ginkgo biloba extract* (50:1), 20mg (equivalent to 1000mg of Gingko biloba powder, contains minimum 24% flavoglycosides). RDA: EC Recommended Daily Allowance. * EC RDA Not Established.
Sounds to me like it could be usefull as a supportive medicine, but maybe not the only medicine right now, he might need something more, but I'm not a vet so I couldn't tell you what.

tonyshuman wrote:
here it says that a good treatment for trauma is glucocorticoids:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=490&S=5
If it is comparable to the use of corticosteroids ([font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]methylprednisolone) in humans, it should ideally have been done within 8 hours of the injury occurance. I'm not sure they would do much good now. They also can have serious side effects if over-dosed.
I found a reference in "
[/font]Quick Reference to Veterinary Medicine" By William R. Fenner, Terence A. Olive. You can view it here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=1z...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA20,M1

I agree with BlueGiants on keeping the little one confined for now. I'm sure he likes to crawl around and explore but he needs to be kept quiet and discouraged from moving much to allow his body time to heal. He may inadvertantly do damage to himself.

Now that he's no longer dribbling, is he peeing normally on his own? It's great that you're getting some reaction from touching his feet now.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Here is the nutrional info on Neuroforte. It contains B6, not B12, and lots of other things beside: "Neuroforte contains essential nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which help to support the nervous system"
Nutritional: Each tablet contains: Vitamin C, 60mg (100% RDA). Nicotinamide, 18mg (100% RDA). Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCI), 5mg (250% RDA). Magnesium, 100mg (33% RDA). Lecithin* (Phosphatidyl), 50mg. L-Phenylalanine*, 100mg. L-Tyrosine*, 100mg. L-Glutamine*, 100mg. Choline*, 50mg. Inositol*, 50mg. Ginkgo biloba extract* (50:1), 20mg (equivalent to 1000mg of Gingko biloba powder, contains minimum 24% flavoglycosides). RDA: EC Recommended Daily Allowance. * EC RDA Not Established.
Sounds to me like it could be usefull as a supportive medicine, but maybe not the only medicine right now, he might need something more, but I'm not a vet so I couldn't tell you what.

Interesting. All I could find about it was Neuroforte-R and Neuroforte-Six which are both B12.
http://www.medications.com/drugs/neuroforte-six
http://www.healthcare.com/drugs-n/neuroforte-r-cyanocobalamin/
in any case it just sounds like a vitamin supplement that can promote nervous system function. Yes the glucocorticoids are like mineralocorticoids, but in animals they say it can help up do a day or two after the injury. It sounds like he may be regaining movement on his own, which is great!!!!

Really? Buffy could be recovering himself? Wow ...
Or maybe he was trying to do his own leg therapy that he manage to get out of his little corner that day. Haha ..
But I did place him in a much confine place.

DSC07503.jpg

sha10ly88 wrote:
Really? Buffy could be recovering himself? Wow ...
Or maybe he was trying to do his own leg therapy that he manage to get out of his little corner that day. Haha ..
But I did place him in a much confine place.

DSC07503.jpg

Wow she feels better. but still don't let her move around much

she is the cutest thing alive but why does she look like she has yellowish fur?

Its not yellowish. The flash light of my camera phone makes his fur looks yellow. Don't worry. Its brown.:D
Really hope he is feeling better. If only he could speak and tell me that ....

What a doll! It is true that he could regain movement, depending on how serious the injury was. If it were simply bruising to the spine, swelling in the area of the nerves could put pressure on them and cause temporary paralysis. As the swelling goes down, he could regain movement. This is one of the reasons to give glucocorticoids because they can reduce swelling. Also, he's very young so some nerve damage could be healed by the vitamin supplements. It's not for sure that he can regain movement, but it's not all that uncommon. Here's a link about spinal cord injury in people:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/spinal_cord_injury/prognosis.htm

edited for wrong gender. sorry Buffy!

What a beautiful little one, Sha! I don't think I've ever seen such coloration on a bunny.

I agree that confinement is very important right now. If Buffy has a spinal cord injury, moving around freely may well make it worse. The usual course of treatment is to keep the rabbit in a small space for two or three weeks to heal - it worked for my Flemish Giant, Joop - thanks to kind advice from forum moderator Cathy. Even if Buffy looks to be getting better, I would follow the same principle.

You have an unusual situation in that your rabbit is so young, and she hasn't been weaned yet. This is out of my domain. Maybe Randy or Cathy can give advice about that. There may be issues with the momma rabbit rolling over on Buffy.

Lisa

Yes ... he is really the cutest among the others. That is why I am so scared when Buffy couldn't walk and pee. He just seemed the most precious to me.

There could be issues when Mommy rolls on Buffy?The thing is .. she doesnt roll on him. At first, I use to let Buffy milk from mommy alone first. Then I realise that Mommy always hops away when she notices that only one baby milks from her. And sometimes when she hops, she tend to step on Buffy or kick him. Since then, I decided to stick to the normal way. I let all the babies milk from her so that she will stay like usual. When shes done she will move away and I will grab Buffy first from her so that Buffy wont get stepped or kicked by her.

Then I thought that a possible issue is ...as we all know baby rabbits will always get excited and all energetic when comes to milking from mommy. That way, Buffy is not relaxing his muscles. Like what everyone here have said... Buffy's situation needs to be kept confined so that he doesnt use his muscles. Sometimes Buffy gets pushed away from mommy by his siblings as they all compete for milk. On my part, I will always observe Buffy when moms feed. Try to position him correctly when he milks and put him close to mommy when siblings kick him away. Its really a pity as it looks like as if he got bullied. I hope this wont be a big issue for Buffy's recovery.

Latest posts

Back