Buffy could be paralysed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sha10ly88

Reaction score
Buffy fell from a height of 20 to 30 cm and he can't walk. He is dragging his hind legs. Its really sad to see him like that while the other little ones run around and everywhere.

So brought Buffy to the vet. Doctor said that Buffy's bones are all ok. No broken bonesor fracturedparts. Its his nerve system. There is a possibility that Buffy will recover fully but will take a very long time. Or ... Buffy could remain like that for the rest of its life. Buffy is also not pooping or peeing regularly. THe doctor sort of press Buffy's bladder all the pee came out. Thenshe said that the bladder is fine. Just that Buffy could be tramatized or maybe not feeling the need to pee or poop becos the nerve system is disturbed. Then I was showed how to press Buffy's bladder so that he pee. Buffy was also given medication. Its 5 Neuroforte Tablets and I have to give him 1/8 of a tablet per day. Few hours after I gave him its medication, I discover a lump of poop in between Buffy's leg. I felt so relief then. However, I tried to press Buffy's baldder but no pee came out. I was instructed to do that every 4 hours. Could I have pressed the bladder wrongly? Does anyone here been through this situation? Or maybe because Buffy's bladder is empty?

i dont know. get him to drink a bit then try.... then you will know he has fluids to cme out.....
good luck./...:hugsquish:

Oh dear, I don't have any advice unforunately.

How is he in himself? Eating? Drinking? Does he have anti inflammatories? He may be on them, but I don't know what the Neuroforte is.

I am very concerned here. The tablet you have been given, if I remember correctly, is Vitamin B. That acts to stimulate them. I am not so sure I would want a spinal trauma (in anything) to be stimulated. I doa lot of spinal trauma in wildlife....rabbits, opossums and squirrels. The first thing I do is sedate them with valium to not only calm them down but to keep them quiet. I don't want spinal (or head) trauma moving any more than absolutely necessary. I start them on anti-inflammatories since there is usually some inflammation in the injury area. The resolution is totally determined by the final damage to the spinal cord. It is possible to fully resolve this issue IF the cord isn't damaged. If there are loose bone framgments from vertebra damage moving around in there, if your rabbit is too mobile, it could add to the damage. If what you have posted is all that is being done, I would suggest another visit with your vet for more aggressive treatment. And be gentle on the bladder expressions.....it's a necessary part of working a paresis case. You should have done x-rays....most likely the trauma is at L7. The best chance at a good resolution is to know exactly what you are dealing with and have a good plan. A little peek at those vertebra alignment will most likely give you an excellent idea of long term prognosis for recover. Good luck.....and it can be done depending on cord damage.

Randy

With spinal injuries, my vet always makes sure they are confined in a small space, away from other bunnies. He really needs to be kept still and calm (and Randy pointed out.) I used a small top opening carrier with open wire sides (so they could see what's going on). I make a comfy bed of hay and straw and place food and water right by their nose, so they don't have to move. I've rolled up feed bags or old t-shirts to place on either side of the bunny to keep them from moving or turning around.

Randy is right, they need an anti-infammatory and really should be on a pain med to keep them comfortable. I take them out, very gently and supporting the back legs, every 4 hours to express the bladder and clean underneath.

It can take 3-4 weeks to heal well enough to start letting them hop around. If it is healing, you may start seeing useage and motion in 2 weeks. But you still have to keep them confined to let it heal properly. It will take a lot of patience on your part.

Oh ... that is a lot of explanation. Buffy have fed from his mommy already but he is not peeing at all. I was told to come back for another visit two weeks later. Is that too long? Is there anything I could do? According to the doctor, Buffy cannot move a lot. He is to be kept seperately. Is that really what I should do?

How do u express the bladder? How gentle should it be? Should it be so gentle that the rabbit doesn't struggle off your hand? You should know that Buffy is just about 4 weeks old.

I want to say this don't lose hope that he could be ok. I have a girl who just turned two. When she was a week old she was stepped on by accident. Some how she made it through and is thriving.

PS I didn't have her when that happened so I have no clue what was done to help her.

sha10ly88 wrote:
Oh ... that is a lot of explanation. Buffy have fed from his mommy already but he is not peeing at all. I was told to come back for another visit two weeks later. Is that too long? Is there anything I could do? According to the doctor, Buffy cannot move a lot. He is to be kept seperately. Is that really what I should do?
You have to find a small carrier, cage, coop (or as a last resort) a box, to put him in. How old is he? Is he still nursing off momma? Is he still with his siblings?

here are the u tube videos that someone posted a few days ago

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-5YErYcvA&NR=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-5YErYcvA&NR=1[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekrHLc6xiI&mode=related&search]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekrHLc6xiI&mode=related&search[/ame]=
if you have a blocker on pop-up windows turn it off

or do a live search "bladder expression in a rabbitz" and you will come up with these

I have already place Buffy seperately from his siblings and mommy in a small plastic storage container just enough for him to lay himself. Just beside him... I put some hays and around him are thefillings of a bolster to support his sides. I couldnt get a cloth tosupport him. Is that ok?

N oh ya ... Buffy is still feeding from his mommy. And, soon going to be 4 weeks old.

Sha,

Why don't you send a pm to naturestee (Angela)and ask her

she has experience with infant buns and may be able to help you more than me...

This is not something that I have done before myself which leaves me at a loss to help you from experience
then let me now if you feel comfortable with the advice and what you need to do

Sha
I started a thread in the rabbitry section hoping that you can get some help there and more specifics in terms of helping such a young girl

so check the rabbitry also,

I know that you saw the videos but herehere is a descripton of how to do it. I would think that with a baby you would do the same thing except much more gently especially because she is newly injured
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B2F6E8F4A4BD093F]http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B2F6E8F4A4BD093F[/ame]

Thnx so much for everything Angieluv.

Expressing outthedifficulties and pressureof handling Buffy and the fear that I might loose him makes me feel better although the fear remains.At least I know out there, I have other bunny owners helping me out which makes me feel stronger and not on my own. I really want him to recover fully. He is my favourite bunny. He has the nicest fur compared to the others.

U know ... after every 4 hours, I get evenmore tense. I did just like the instruction in the link u gave me. But it just doesnt work. He is not peeing since he get back from the vet yesterday. Its already 24hr. Honestly ... I am so scared. I guess ... I better pm Angela now. Thnx again.

Is the bunny drinking? Have you seen him take in water? If he isn't drinking, the bladder will not be full and you won't be able to feel it to express it.

Can you syringe some water into him? Make sure he is swallowing water?

I think that if you have not been able to get the bun to pee it would be a good idea to call the vet and possibly bring the little guy back in.

Is the little one still nursing?

Iwill put a bowl of water beside him. I have been letting him drink from Mommy's bottle. I thought rabbits cannot drink from a bowl because water might enter through their nose. So i didnt dare. Earlier that u said in the other forum about drinking water from bowls ... then i know.

However, I am certain that Buffy have drank a lot n hes bladder was full before he gave me a surprise pee!!

Latest posts

Back