Buckley hates Bella now after her spay :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Buckley my 1 1/2 year old neutered male liked Bella from the first day i got her, through the bars of the run they'd clean each other all day and lie next to each other, i never had to do any kind of bonding at all they just loved each other straight away. But Bella got spayed last thursday (she's 5 months old) and the vets said i could wait a week then let her get some run around time during the day, so this afternoon i let Bella out in her outside run and Buckley was out in his, once Buckley noticed Bella was there he was charging up at the run and with his ears right back and tail high trying to attack her, biting at the bars of the run and digging getting all mad. Bella got really scared and i had to hold her to calm her. Then once Bella went Buckley calmed down and went back to normal. Then i let him smell her just incase he didn't recognise her but then he bit her! Not her skin just pulled her fur out a bit :(

Does anyone know why this has happened? Is it normal? How am i supposed to bond them now? as they were already well bonded before Bella got spayed :(

Also when does Bella's hormones go? She has always been a horny bunny like humping things, and rubbing her chin on everything, she hasn't humped at all since being spayed but is still chinning everything, how long does it take for it all to go? I always forget to ask my vet questions when i'm there!

it can take a few weeks for her hormones to be totally gone.

as for the bunns, separating them and taking one to the vet alone for spaying or w/e can sever a bunny bond, so you may need to go back to the basics and re-bond them.

They never lived together in the first place though as Bella would hump Buckley too much and bite him, so they only saw each other a couple of times a day or sometimes only a couple of times a week, but when they saw each other they were fine together :( but i couldn't have taken Buckley with her because they weren't properly bonded.

well, either way, you can start with the bonding basics and work on getting them bonded :)

you might wait a few days or a week or something, though, to let them forget about their fight.

Aww I sure hope you can get the bond again. I agree with Jennifer,start with the basics. Act as if they never knew each other and start with brief interactions on neutral territory and go from there.

Time and patience. Good luck!

Back