Broken Bottom Teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiedarling

Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit Lucille seems to have broken her bottom teeth off? I'm not even sure if I'm seeing correctly. I could've sworn they suddenly looked like little nubs the other day, but I can't get a good look. She hates being held, touched or petted unless it's on her terms. I tried to get a look just now but she was biting the crap out of me (and I'm sure she's highly ticked off at me for at least the rest of the month, now). Is this normal? And secondly, is this an emergency? She's a 5 month old giant breed. I thought about taking her to the vet but I don't want to put my husband (i stay at home and wrangle animals)through the extra expense after doing a bunch of repair/redecorating work on the house. Any advice will be appreciated. First time bunny owner here. :)

Also, I should add, it doesn't seem to be hindering her eating. She's never really been much into her hay from the get go, but she definitely doesn't seem to have any trouble eating the pellets or her little carrots. Thought that might be important?

Its really hard to give an answer with out knowing for sure whats actually going on.
Is she still eating and drinking fine? If she is i wouldnt be concerned.
But if you can try and put her in a bunny burrito and get a better look. And even better ... If you can post a photo. If shes properly burritoed she shouldnt be able to bite.

Its really hard to give an answer with out knowing for sure whats actually going on.
Is she still eating and drinking fine? If she is i wouldnt be concerned.
But if you can try and put her in a bunny burrito and get a better look. And even better ... If you can post a photo. If shes properly burritoed she shouldnt be able to bite.

Well, I don't think I know how to do the bunny burrito. I tried to wrap her up in a towel, I was wearing my garden gloves, too and she was trying to bite me through the towel! She is very willful (imagine that!) and very fast and strong. I was lucky to even catch her. It probably doesn't help that I have a sprained pinky finger (too emabarrasing). I feel like I should let her cool off for a couple of days. I know for sure getting a pic is out of the question. I am hoping to sneak a peek next time she yawns! How do you make a bunny burrito? I can't keep her still.

If she's eating and drinking okay it's probably not an emergency. Can you get your husband to help you? Wrap her up in the towel and have one of you hold her body while the other moves her lips out of the way enough to see her teeth (and snap a picture so you can monitor for changes).

Do you have a cat? Or a small dog?
If your bunny is that.... Uhm... rough... I would suggest practicing the burrito.
There is a real technique to doing the burrito properly. Meaning tight enough and fast enough. A properly burritoed bunny (or angry cat) should not be able to move. Quick enough that by the time the animal has realised whats happening, youre done.
It can be difficult to do it quick enough however if youre not used to it :) so sometimes practicing on less angry animals helps lol

Have the rabbit sitting or laying on a towel. The nose and bum of the rabbit should be facing the long end of the towel.
You may be best positioned kneeling slightly above the rabbit (off the towel) at the rabbits hind end.
BunnyBurrito001.jpg

There should be enough towel at the front of the rabbit so you can do the next step. Think of the towel around the neck portion as a neck brace. So you want enough towel up there.

Bring the front edge of the towel up and around the rabbits neck.
BunnyBurrito002.jpg

Bring one side of the towel and fairly snugly tuck it under the rabbit. Keeping the portion around the neck snug.
BunnyBurrito003.jpg

Do the exact same thing with the other side of the towel. SNUG.
Your bunny (or other critter) should be a super snug sausage. Don't worry about the back end as your body should be here preventing rear end escapes, and if you've done the neck portion snug enough, they shouldn't be able to back out anyway.
BunnyBurrito004.jpg

A proper Burrito is snug enough to prevent movement, but not so snug as to strangle. They have much smaller necks under all that hair then we think. So youre usually pretty safe to go quite snug.
BunnyBurrito005.jpg

This should give you full control of the head of the rabbit, even when the rabbit is not being backed by your body. They should not be able to move their head around to bite.
You can use a fairly firm grasp on the head with out hurting them.
BunnyBurrito007.jpg

you can also hypnotize rabbits so they can not react at all.....but if shes that rambunctious it may be hard to do as well.

Oh, awesome! Thank you for the photo tutorial! That was very cool of you to do! I have good news, y'all! I am just a lunatic. Her teeth are fine. I guess it was just the light in the room hitting her a funny way the other day, that made me see nubs. D'oh!

I am definitely going to have to figure out a way to practice that burrito. No cats here, just dogs. And, not so small ones at that. I could try it with Lola I guess, but she's a 40lb dog who is just as feisty as Lucy is. LOL

I got totally lucky. We were chilling in the living room just now and she yawned real big for me to see that her teeth are ok and I was just being crazy. Thanks for all the advice, too. I appreciate it.

:embarrassed: I guess that explains why she wasn't having trouble eating & drinking...

Latest posts

Back