Brice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

Reaction score
I got Brice when he was 9 weeks old. He was born June 15th 1999.

I had just lost my lil man Chloe-boy and it was laborday weekend. We went searching for a lil fellow, and low and behold I found Bricer. He is a netherland dwarf holland lop cross.The woman he came from had some breed she was trying to create, I think she was going for an extreamly tiny lop. At any rate I picked him upand he just kissed my face all over. That was it, Brice didn't leave my arms he went home with me:)

You can put him on a rug and he will never leave it. He will only run on the rug, he hates smooth floor.

Brice has been a kisser ever since I brought him home, in fact, if you ask him for kisses he will give you a kiss, he knows the word.

All has been great with Brice

But Feb 8th 2004 at bed time Brice did not come running forward for his normal treat, just that am he had been so glad to see me. I looked at him he had ever such a slight tilt. I set him on the rug, and he start to tip over. Monday AM he went right to work with me and I feared horrible news.

Xrays showed fluid on the inner ear. So he was started on medicine right away. A few days into medicine he started to tilt so much he was standing on top of his head. and then he had fluid and blood come out o fhis ear. He was on meds for 5 weeks. It took him 4 weeks to try and walk again, he had to be force fed because he lost nearly 1lbs, which may not seem like much but when you weigh under 4lbs 1 lbs is quite alot. I bought him special foods and changed his dishes to smaller lower ones.

Each day we did neck massages, and when he started towalk he had walk time out on the rug, first with me right there to catch him. Then he started to move without falling over much, thenhe could run and chin, and sniff. Brice was becoming Brice again. His litterbox habits have been shot because he could not make the small hop into the box (he has one where the front is cut real low) But I have my bricer back, he is happy, checking things and he can run without tipping over.

LopEars.gif

Hi Gabby,

Thank you for telling the story of Brice. It's unbelieveable. Whatinspiration for people who've lost their beloved family members due towry neck. I said family members on purpose because our pets are ourfamily members.

I was unable to see the latest pictures of Brice and part of me doesn'teven want to, but I think it's an educational experience that you'resharing and a great story of love and it needs to be seen and told.Brice's life has been one of strength, love, faith, determination,magic and miracles.

Tucks doesn't like hardwood floors either. He tolerates them because hehas to, but it's not until he's on the rug that I see the binkies andthe racing.

Give Brice lots of love from me. He is one cool and beautiful rabbit.

-Carolyn

P.S. I can view the pictures now. They just needed time to load. Good God. I don't know how either of you did it.

It's so hard to see these pictures. Good God, I hope they find a curefor this disease, but I'm sure rabbits are on the low end of the totempole for this one.

I couldn't imagine trying to get around like that. What a drag.

What a feisty little guy to fight it off like he has. He sure loves youto pieces because he's not ready to leave you. He never gave up. He'samazing.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Gabby,

Thank you for telling the story of Brice. It's unbelieveable. Whatinspiration for people who've lost their beloved family members due towry neck. I said family members on purpose because our pets are ourfamily members.
Wry neck is actually the side effects of another illness, rather it bea brain leasion, an inner ear infection, or whatnot, since they get the head tilt with them it has all beenlabled wry neck.

Dogs and cats also get a head tilt, from different things, vestibular is one, here is an article on that

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

You're too Modest, Gabby. Pamnock's absolutely right. Brice's biggest blessing happened the day he caught your heart.

I remember getting your emails when you first noticed Brice's tilt. Irecall your many many sleepless nights treating him and petting him,and your worry and fear over losing him.

You are lucky to have access to the vet, but it was You and your lovethat kept him alive and that is able to see his personality starting toshine through again.

It's an amazing bond and love you two have.

-Carolyn

P.S. I shall read the article about wry neck. Thank you for passing italong. Am I incorrect in thinking that rabbits are more prone to it?

Pamnock, this is the rabbit I was referring to when I asked you if they can survive with wry neck. You said yes.

Thank you for posting this story, Brice is solucky to have such a wonderful friend like you Gabby. It isobvious that he loves you and you love him. Congratulationson your wonderful 'family'

Carolyn wrote:
You're too Modest, Gabby. Pamnock's absolutely right. Brice's biggest blessing happened the day he caught your heart.

I remember getting your emails when you first noticed Brice's tilt. Irecall your many many sleepless nights treating him and petting him,and your worry and fear over losing him.

You are lucky to have access to the vet, but it was You and your lovethat kept him alive and that is able to see his personality starting toshine through again.

It's an amazing bond and love you two have.

-Carolyn

P.S. I shall read the article about wry neck. Thank you for passing italong. Am I incorrect in thinking that rabbits are more prone to it?

Pamnock, this is the rabbit I was referring to when I asked you if they can survive with wry neck. You said yes.
I think you hear more about what ever animal you are into.Sometimes in dogs and cats it has been passed off as astroke, so people never realize the true cause, but I wouldhave to say I have seen more dogs with it than cats. And have heardnumerous stories of rabbits with it. However it has been reshearchedmore in dogs and cats, ... fthere is still plenty unknown, but moreeffort has been made.

As far as a bond goes the vet tells me "You have that weird funky rabbit electricity"

she has told me also i have a strong bond with my rabbits, and rabbitsin general. LOL one my friends calls me the bunnywhisperer, and another the animal physic... lol There are animals whodon't get along with me, but what the hay :p lol

Bricer crawled into my arms today and kissed my arms all over, i love my babies :)

Gabby, I don't easily cry, but tears slipped frommy eyes while reading this. You are a wonderful person, andBrice is so lucky to have you. I can't imagine what I woulddo if my Sherman came down with this illness.

I'm a little full right now, so I'll just end by saying many blessings upon you and Brice.

mom2many wrote:
Thank you for posting this story, Brice is so lucky to havesuch a wonderful friend like you Gabby. It is obvious that heloves you and you love him. Congratulations on your wonderful'family'
THanks I think it is about time to post my full introduction. istarted with my test post, now i need to do the real thing LOL

Buck Jones wrote:
Give you an "A" for all the effort, and the Briceran "A" for the gumption and not quitting on you.

What a tender, compassionate story.

Buck
thanks buck, i had always counted my blesings that I had neverelt with this illness before, but now that we havegone through it maybe we can inspire others not to give up hope :)

Bunnymommy wrote:
Gabby, I don't easily cry, but tears slipped from my eyeswhile reading this. You are a wonderful person, and Brice isso lucky to have you. I can't imagine what I would do if mySherman came down with this illness.

I'm a little full right now, so I'll just end by saying many blessings upon you and Brice.
awww thank you *wipes a tear away*

Dear Gabby,

There is not a Doubt in my mind that you work magic with animals. Atthe risk of sounding absolutely crazy in the old forum, I can recall ussaying how we communicate with the animals.

I've never learned so much about body language until I got Tucker. Theanimals are always communicating with us. Everything they do is a formof communicating the same emotions we have: happiness, hunger, thirst,anger, frustration, stubborness, silliness, playfulness, sadness,grief, joy, quiet time, fear, love. The list goes on and on. Animalshave that same needs we all do, and I know you 'got that' long ago. Istrongly suspect that the people that write among this forum have thesegifts. I've read it in their posts. You'll see it yourself, if youhaven't already.

Point well made about the wry neck and hearing about it because I don't'study' cats and dogs. My focus is on rabbits. Thank you for theinsight.

Dear BunnyMommy,

I knew this post was going to be hard on you. :? I know it's okay, butI knew the pictures were really going to upset you. Give Sherman a BigHug.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Dear Gabby,

There is not a Doubt in my mind that you work magic with animals. Atthe risk of sounding absolutely crazy in the old forum, I can recall ussaying how we communicate with the animals.

I've never learned so much about body language until I got Tucker. Theanimals are always communicating with us. Everything they do is a formof communicating the same emotions we have: happiness, hunger, thirst,anger, frustration, stubborness, silliness, playfulness, sadness,grief, joy, quiet time, fear, love. The list goes on and on. Animalshave that same needs we all do, and I know you 'got that' long ago. Istrongly suspect that the people that write among this forum have thesegifts. I've read it in their posts. You'll see it yourself, if youhaven't already.
I think it all comes down to some people are animalpeople some are not, but you can tell by the way a person talks abouthis/her furry kids. For some it just takes a bit longer torealize they do know what they are doing, they do understandtheir fur child. And then there are those who should neverever think about having furkids, and some souldn't even think abouthaving human kids either, we're all different, but i guees thatswhatmakes the world go round;-)

Latest posts

Back