Breeders- Ever refused to sell to someone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use locks at your own risk. At the ARBA Convention, if they send a runner for your rabbit, and they can't get the cage open, it doesn't get shown.

But as RAL pointed out, a lock usually only keeps out the honest people. Most of the coops can be lifted or moved to gain access to the rabbit... and if they are desperate, they can cut the lock or door... (hmmm... maybe I could invent a chastity belt for rabbits! :biggrin:)

I don't let anyone into my shed. Other than it's small and I'm really careful about what goes in and out of that shed(too many incidents with stray dogs) I will plan a meeting time at my house for a nice warm day and I'll put the babies that are available only out in a 'play pen' Then i'll let the person into the playpen and then they can pick the one they like. I check every baby back over before it goes back into the shed and they are typically seperated from the ones i'm keeping.

I do let people into my rabbitry, but I have extensive conversations on the phone with them prior to them coming over. I know what they are looking for, I send pictures to them via email, and I ask them questions and see what kinds of questions they askme. I give them a care sheet, food, and an open invitation that they should contact me with any further questions and concerns. I also invite owners back for sessions on nail trimming or grooming as they need assistance along the way. I have been lucky to have only had good experiences with those that have been allowed to visit.

I, of course, have had many people I have turned away. I just recently had a man who wanted four rabbits. He asked me what I had and then said he wasn't looking for "any of those fancy breeds." I told him I was not the breeder he was looking for then. He proceeded to tell me he wanted four bunnies that he was housing together. I asked if he was going to spay and neuter...he acted like I'd lost my mind. I then told him he could only get does then. He informed me he wanted one buck and three does that were siblings. His logic was that siblings would not mate. He said he knew not to get four bucks because he did that last time and one of them killed the other three. I was afraid to ask what happened to the fourth one. He then told me that he could get the four siblings and sell the offspring as meat rabbits. I was agast but tried to keep my cool and told him there really was no real market out there for meat rabbits and that his four bunnies would turn into 200 he'd be left caring for. Oy, that one made me sick to talk to. I hope he is unable to find someone to sell him bunnies but I know there's always a lid for every pot.

The only people I've had in my rabbitry that actually bought rabbits from me, were my mom's boyfriend daughter.
I've only let others in that I know from fair, or are my friends of course, and the 4-H superintedent, and my leader.
Family is allowed in, of course; but kids only when me or my sister is with them. I won't let my nieces or nephews or cousins go into the rabbitry even with just my mom.

I haven't had to refuse a sale to a person....I mean, unless you count my brother. I actually refused to sell to him before he even said he would buy from me. Of course, this was only because he was going to buy rabbits for his girlfriends crazy kids and I didn't want that.

That's quite scary about those things happening!!
Especially the moved buck! I would be freaking out too!!

Tonight though, some man called my CELL phone and asked if I knew anyone who sold Flemish Giants. I quickly referred him to the closest rabbitry here that I know of that sells them; but what shocked me was how he got my number! The only contact I have for my rabbitry website is my e-mail...and if you knew my last name you couldn't look up my parents in the phone book because my mom's last name is different....

It was quite scary. I'm comtemplating whether or not to call him back and ask him how he got my cell #!?

Emily

With your state and name people can find everything the want about you online. SS number, address, phone number, cell number, ect. If they get your address they can use google earth to get a picture right up to you hous. They could see your rabbit barn and everything, lovely, yes? xD

bunnybunbunb wrote:
With your state and name people can find everything the want about you online. SS number, address, phone number, cell number, ect. If they get your address they can use google earth to get a picture right up to you hous. They could see your rabbit barn and everything, lovely, yes? xD

Yikes that's not good. How do they get my phone numbers though? Do they have some secret way? I don't think this dude would of done it that way... but I never know.

It's still kinda freaky.

Latest posts

Back