Breeders- Ever refused to sell to someone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
Just wondering how other breeders deal with selling their rabbits to the "public". Have you ever refused to sell a rabbit to someone? Why? How do you deal with it? What kind of support do you offer after a sale? What goes with a rabbit when you sell it?

I met someone at the Rabbit show yesterday (referred by a friend) and they asked about our Mini Rex, looking for a baby. I told them I had 4 week old babies that might be ready to go in a month. They wanted to see them... so they visited today. I showed them the babies (2 litters) and that one was too dark and that one was too light, and that one looked "mean" and that one looked "Hyper" and that one... well, you get the idea. They finally pointed at one and said they wanted THAT one. I told them THAT one wasn't available. (My daughter is keeping that one for herself!) The guy got mad at me! Started raising his voice at me. I asked them to leave. Told him I obviously didn't have what he wanted and he should look somewhere else. He asked me what kind of breeder I was... didn't I want to sell rabbits? I said no... I wasn't in it to SELL rabbits. Would love to hear how others handle things like this...

When my parents adopted me - one of the things that the state worker was very quick to tell my parents was that they were not out to provide them with a baby - they were out to provide a baby with the right home.

I say this - because that has been my mentality about my rabbits. I "created" them by breeding them and it is MY responsibility to find them the right home - or keep them myself until I can find a home I feel comfortable with.

I have turned down several people - even fellow breeders - if I didn't feel comfortable with them having one of my rabbits.

With that said....I have also taken back my rabbits if someone couldn't keep them any more - and I've given "follow-up" counseling (like if the rabbit had snuffles I would look at it and recommend a vet - but I could at least see what the discharge was like (it was clear and appeared to be an allergy - it cleared up within a few days)).

I had one couple come to me crying because they lived with the guy's mother and she said, "The rabbit has to go" after he ruined her brand new WHITE comforter. Well - the rabbit was free-roaming (and not neutered) and the couple had no choice. I told them I would be happy to take the rabbit back - but I wouldn't pay for him because she had bought him from the feed store.

My feeling is that any rabbit that was born here - I'm responsible for. In addition (and I know I'm crazy when I say this) - if I see a rabbit at the feed store and I know it is ill or needs treatment for something (even if it is minor) - I consider myself to take responsibility for that rabbit - even if it means adopting it and caring for it the rest of its life.

Call me crazy - but hey - that is what I can live with.

First of all I don't let anyone in my rabbitry. If I sell a pet to someone they are not allowed in because they might be carrying something that I don't want my rabbits exposed to. I also am security conscious and don't want people to get the lay of the land and come back in the middle of the night to help themselves.

I bring what it available into the garage and they can look at them there or I meet them somewhere. When I do sell a rabbit as a pet I interview the person and decide if I will sell them a rabbit and then I chose which would be the most suitable. I give them food and a care sheet as well as a health guarantee. They are told if they can't take care of the rabbit anymore or don't want it that it comes back to me.

I would have given the guy one chance to leave and then called the cops. He sounds like a real piece of work.

Roger

I agree with Roger except that I don't even have them come to the house. I meet them at a rabbit show that is closest to them. Since I don't advertise in newspapers, I generally only see potential buyers at shows.

At the show yesterday in Long Island, I refused to sell to the "public". I only sold to breeders. I have a hard time with the people that come to that show. I rarely find one that genuinely wants a rabbit. Some of the people strike me funny and decide very quickly after talking to them that I will not sell to them. I have absolutely no problem telling people that I feel one of my rabbits is not for them.

I agree... I had a problem with the idea of it, but they were referred by a friend and I thought I'd do them a favor.

If they are going to pick out a rabbit according to the number of spots they have... then they won't get a rabbit from me.

I do have a care booklet I give out, I give them food for a week, and I let them know it's a lifelong commitment on my part when they get a rabbit from me... but everything about these people rubbed me the wrong way. (How can a BABY bunny look "mean"?)

I think I'm going to have to do as RAL... it's going to have to be a closed barn. (I've always been so proud of how I keep my rabbits, and I always thought that if people see how they are raised, and what goes into it, they would appreciate how precious they are.)

I would not let people into my rabbitry. I have done so a time or two when I was a newer breeder - but I wouldn't do it again.

Maybe its just me - but some of my less-confident lionheads just seemed a bit off for a day or so afterwards. I don't think they liked having a stranger in the rabbitry.

Wow what a nasty experience. You were right to refuse sale but its a shame they didn't raise any red flags until they were already in your barn.:shock:

I haven't had any bad an experiences of my own yet, but I've considered the closed barn policy a couple of times--mostly because of the horror stories I hear coming from other breeders.

Its sad that we have to protect ourselves like this. Part of me wants to be open and engaging towards everyone that comes to me looking for a rabbit. I'm proud of my rabbits and my set up so my first impulse is to show them off! But you can never be fully prepared for the people you invite into your rabbitry.

In general I don't let pet buyers into my barn. I hate to say it but the livestock buyers and 4Hers seems to be alittle less of a risk for some reason.

When I have someone coming to see rabbits I take the pet grade buns and put them into a play pen on my front porch. Can't let you into the rabbitry today " Sorry, I've got a nesting doe in there I'd like to avoid stressing" or "It's kinda cramped in there, its better if I bring the rabbits to you." Sometimes if I get a good vibe about the person I'll let them see the rabbitry...but I fully admit I'm putting myself at risk here.

What a mess.

Thats awful Cathy. I do screen people who want a rabbit but I do let them see the rabbitry. I had a lovely comment the other week on how clean my sheds were and how it gave them confidence in us as well it really can be a 2 way thing! I also take rabbit back and give care sheet, food etc and also deal with people with bunny problems.

One of the concerns I've heard before about breeders letting people in their barns - is that at times they'd be at a show - and come back from the show to find some rabbits stolen. I want to say this was happening in the Pennsylvania area or Kentucky or something a couple of years ago?

I know some breeders who quit letting people into their barns after that.

I know of a "breeder" that stole from 3-4 diffrent breeders here in Kentucky. They went to their houses to buy rabbits, they lived in indiana I think, and then that night they would go back and steal many of them. One breeder, who I hate, told me they took a good 150 rabbits from them. Said they stayed at a motel down the road apparently and stole from them some 3 nights in the same week. They then moved on to another place with a diffent breeder and did the same thing only thing diffrent was some of the rabbits they had stole they sold to the other breeders. Apparently most of the rabbits they took where babies still in the nest, leaving their mothers. Their rabbitry name is something like love them buns or something, they have a site. The women's name is Jennifer.

I have only let 3-4 people to my rabbitry when I would sell. I almost always met them down the road, you can not trust people. Plus, they would go through "Ooh, is that one forsale?" "How much for this one?" "I'll give you $15 for that one.", it got to annoying. Once my friend in another state had her favorite rabbit stole, she refused to sell it to a guy and he came back that night and stole him, I refused to let anyone else come back. From then on she kept the doors padlocked and the cages chained down, that is not right having to do it. Plus, what if a fire started, how would you get the rabbits out?

One person... her significant other did not want to pay more than $20 and said "Doncha have domestic rabbits?"

Some of the people who called were even better pieces of work... they did not get past the phone call as their language would get an R rating.

Denise

Wow, that is so wrong, on so many levels! To steal rabbits from another breeder! This goes back to a thread/discussion we had (a while ago) about security in the Rabbitry. Something else to worry about!

I'd freak if someone took my babies, especially if they were too young to be weaned.

These people were very demanding... and very nasty when I refused to sell them the one they wanted. I think I'll make sure my monitoring devices are working.

I'll always take a rabbit back... no questions asked. I'll do what ever I have to to get a rabbit back if necessary. I've driven to New Jersey from Long Island, NY to get a rabbit out of a Dog pound... (proved it was mine by the tattoo!) I do everything I can to ensure the safety and proper care of all the rabbits I raise...

But I think I'm going to be much more careful who allow on my property and in my barn and who I sell to. These people are by far, the worst I've dealt with.

Security is a major concern to me! I do lock the rabbitry, have a fenced yard and the dogs won't let anyone sneak around. I also worry at nationals shows. My cages are locked but that will only keep honest people out.

The other thing I am concerned with at shows is people trying to steal breedings to my bucks. I have a friend who had a beautiful buck. They came over to feed him and a strange doe was in his cage and he was breeding her. She caught them and they said they must have had the wrong cage. She reported them to the show super but the deed had been done.

Roger

The worst I've dealt with came to see about a couple does I advertised. They bought them and were taking them to the truck, and the son lost controll and ended up hauling the rabbit to their thruck by one hind leg, she was screaming the whole way.... Ugh. Of course I took them both back, they're now living with a 4-h kid, which is the OBVIOUS better home for the both of them.

I suppose we are quite lucky you cannot get into my back garden unless you go through the house or the garage. It will be hard for a lot of you to understand but cause the UK is so much smaller than the US we do not have a lot of land with our houses and I live in a small culdesac where there is always someone about.
So far I have not had to refuse anyone but I wouldnt hesitate if I did not feel comfortable with them.

Erins Rabbits wrote:
The worst I've dealt with came to see about a couple does I advertised. They bought them and were taking them to the truck, and the son lost controll and ended up hauling the rabbit to their thruck by one hind leg, she was screaming the whole way.... Ugh. Of course I took them both back, they're now living with a 4-h kid, which is the OBVIOUS better home for the both of them.
That is disgusting. I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of treatment if someone did that to one of my rabbits.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
The other thing I am concerned with at shows is people trying to steal breedings to my bucks. I have a friend who had a beautiful buck. They came over to feed him and a strange doe was in his cage and he was breeding her. She caught them and they said they must have had the wrong cage. She reported them to the show super but the deed had been done.

Roger

At Lebanon, when we came in on Sunday morning, my Junior Blue Buck (that won Best Blue the day before) was in the wrong coop. I thought he got out or was stolen cause his coop was empty... One of the other breeders found him in what had been an empty coop. (NO food, NO water! All night long!) I suspect that someone tried to use him for breeding, but he wasn't quite 4 months old... I don't think they got anything out of him. He was still pretty young for that. (The Flemish develop a little slower than smaller breeds). But I was shaking I was so upset. If I go next year, things will be different.
I was told by another breeder than his Standard Rex buck was moved too. Sheeesh! The things we have to worry about!

BlueGiants wrote
At Lebanon, when we came in on Sunday morning, my Junior Blue Buck (that won Best Blue the day before) was in the wrong coop. I thought he got out or was stolen cause his coop was empty... One of the other breeders found him in what had been an empty coop. (NO food, NO water! All night long!) I suspect that someone tried to use him for breeding, but he wasn't quite 4 months old... I don't think they got anything out of him. He was still pretty young for that. (The Flemish develop a little slower than smaller breeds). But I was shaking I was so upset. If I go next year, things will be different.
I was told by another breeder than his Standard Rex buck was moved too. Sheeesh! The things we have to worry about!
That's really scary. Do they let you put locks on the coops at conventions? I have to admit I'm still a little scared to coop my animals--guess its just something I'll have to get over eventually.

Back