Breed? New bun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMar

Reaction score
Hi everyone! What breed would you say this is? I was told it is 12 weeks, weighs about 1lb 9oz.

Attachments

• EC380DFB-6141-410A-B094-C125BDC504E6.jpeg
    EC380DFB-6141-410A-B094-C125BDC504E6.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 9
  • A01AA52B-BEEE-4BAA-B8A1-B0ACEE6BD237.jpeg
    A01AA52B-BEEE-4BAA-B8A1-B0ACEE6BD237.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 9
  • 0E4A7B94-6661-435E-9556-52EC420D7E43.jpeg
    0E4A7B94-6661-435E-9556-52EC420D7E43.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the replies! Would you say maybe a netherland dwarf / dutch?

@SableSteel is our resident breed identifier 🙂 but from the photos, I don't see any dutch markings and the ears/head shape don't appear to be like a netherland dwarf.

Netherland dwarf
1648243887904.png

Dutch
1648243914607.png

Last edited:
I saw one that was marked exactly like that dutch rabbit photo in the litter, but mine def has 0 dutch markings.

I saw one that was marked exactly like that dutch rabbit photo in the litter, but mine def has 0 dutch markings.
If only one of the kits had it, it was likely because of the vienna gene, not the dutch gene. Vienna is found in most small pet breeds; dutch is only found in dutch (well, and dwarf hotot and blanc de hotot but you dont see those very often). To get that much white from the dutch you need generations of selective breeding (usually you just get a little snip or a white foot). While the vienna gene is much stronger and more variable; it makes patterns like that all the time and only needs to come from one parent (if both parents contribute the vienna gene, the rabbit is solid white with blue eyes). Some of the breeds that vienna markings can come from include Netherland dwarf, polish (uncommon), Holland Lop, Lionhead and Mini Rex

While I doubt she has very much netherland dwarf in her (as her ears are much too large for a dwarf; one of the identifying features of the breed are their tiny ears) she might be a mix including any or all of those breeds.

attached picture is of a Vienna marked netherland dwarf (picture is from )
1648257471738.png

If only one of the kits had it, it was likely because of the vienna gene, not the dutch gene. Vienna is found in most small pet breeds; dutch is only found in dutch (well, and dwarf hotot and blanc de hotot but you dont see those very often). To get that much white from the dutch you need generations of selective breeding (usually you just get a little snip or a white foot). While the vienna gene is much stronger and more variable; it makes patterns like that all the time and only needs to come from one parent (if both parents contribute the vienna gene, the rabbit is solid white with blue eyes). Some of the breeds that vienna markings can come from include Netherland dwarf, polish (uncommon), Holland Lop, Lionhead and Mini Rex

While I doubt she has very much netherland dwarf in her (as her ears are much too large for a dwarf; one of the identifying features of the breed are their tiny ears) she might be a mix including any or all of those breeds.

attached picture is of a Vienna marked netherland dwarf (picture is from )
View attachment 59736

So much great information thank you!

Latest posts

Back