Breaking in a new hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby Juliet

Reaction score
I just got a 2 story wooden hutch for my intact non-litter-trained bunnies. Haven't let them try it yet.

How do I train them not to poop and pee on the wooden floors? The wood in the nest area of the old hutch is pee soaked. I don't mind them pooping on wood but would rather they pee through the grate into the drop pan.

Hmm, that's a tricky one! In my experience they are less likely to toilet where they eat and drink, so I'd put the food and water on the wooden floor part. Also my rabbits tends to back their bums up to corners to pee, so if somehow you could block each corner in the wooden bit...not too sure how you'd do that though, or how your new hutch is designed to allow for this.

I think as they are intact they are going to want to pee in there to begin with anyway to mark the area.

If they are intact, it might be very tricky to move their preferred litter areas. You could always try putting plastic hi-corner litter-pans in the wooden part, perhaps in every single corner. That would probably contain a lot of the mess. Or, you could always buy those stick-on linoleum tiles (or just get a sheet of it cut to size) to protect the wood.
Also, putting hay in the areas that you'd like them to potty should help.

Maybe a large cat litter box. Get one that fits in the whole area. A rubbermaid container may work of you need something bigger.

Lenolium or colroplast could aslo work, and is fairly cheap and easy to clean.

Latest posts

Back