Bracons pregnant!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Bracon.

Atleast now you know she will be okay, and you can get her spayed and never have to worry about this again. Well done for everything you've done and I'm just so glad Bracon is okay.

Good thoughts and hugs your way :)

Sorry about the babies...

I know exactly the feeling. It was a relief to me though because I feared for her life if she would have given birth. Of courseI hadn't thought of infection and though I took her to the vet, nothing was done to prevent it. I am glad that you took her in to get checked. I hope that they gave you something to prevent possible infection. Please make sure to keep a good eye on her. They can go downhill so quickly :?I don't want to see someone else almost lose their baby to this.

When you say "miscarriage", do you mean she reabsorbed the fetuses, or did she actually have a miscarriage? Spontaneous abortions in rabbits are quite uncommon and only happen after the 24th day of pregnancy. If she reabsorbed the fetuses, this would happen before/on the 20th day of pregnancy. Reabsorption isn't uncommon.

As far as Bracon dying during the birthing process...she probably would have been okay. Even younger rabbits, as a general rule, can pop 'em out well, not as easily as rabbits of breeding age, but dystocia in rabbits is still uncommon. Really, most of the things people were freaking out about are uncommon if not rare.

But, then again, if Bracon had a true spontaneous abortion, that's quite uncommon. Even more uncommon than dystocia etc.

However, one thing that isn't uncommon after said spontaneous abortion is infection. But you brought her in so the vet should give you a better idea!

I'd really, really get her spayed as soon as possible. If she isn't septic or borderline septic, or otherwise in need of antibiotics, I'd schedule it for this upcoming week if remotely possible.

Ivory wrote:
When you say "miscarriage", do you mean she reabsorbed the fetuses, or did she actually have a miscarriage?
I'd really, really get her spayed as soon as possible. If she isn't septic or borderline septic, or otherwise in need of antibiotics, I'd schedule it for this upcoming week if remotely possible.
Good point and good info. Not all vets are rabbit savvy on these sorts of things (as Ms. Binky found out recently). If she didnt deliver the kits at her due date, theyre most likely still in her. If they are not removed she will go septic and die. And, as was mentioned, rabbits go downhill very quickly and it usually seems to be whenever the vet isnt around to help.

Im so sorry you have to go through all this. Let us know if theres any way we can help. Youre doing good by scheduling the spay and neuter ;)

Rabbits are just such delicate creatures, and they're so good at hiding septicemia that sometimes you just don't know until they're...dead. Unless you know the little hints for septicemia, which can be so subtle, it can be hard to really tell.

But Bracon brough Bracon into the vet's office, and he should be able to tell. The hallmarks of septicemia are the same, regardless of species, size, color, in tact or not in tact. Even vets not expericenced with rabbits can tell these things, and give a lot of injectible Baytril and gentimicin.

I am honestly questioning if she was ever pregnant at all, or just reabsorbed them in the earlier days. Some people consider reabsorption a miscarriage as well.

Latest posts

Back