Bracons pregnant!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Bracon~

Reaction score
:grumpy:Im so angry, it all happened when I was away. Were not 100% sure but apparently they were with eachother for over 6 hours on one occasion. Thank god shes about 6months now and all this didnt happen when she was younger.. but its still bad. I did warn my brother beforeI went away butlike I keep saying, my family never listin to me.

So someone please help, I have no idea what to do!

Isn't this the 2nd time this has happened? I feel sooooo bad for you a nd Bracon!!! You really need to have a serious talk with your family about putting 2 rabbits together with out the owner's (or your) permisson!!!

Hmmm what I'd do is keep a close eye on Bracon. Warren still might be too young. If she's not going to have babies take her to the vet pronto and get her spayed!! Or get Warren nutered.

-TK

yep this is the 2nd time, wouldnt you think thst someone would have lisind 2me by now? Warrens already got a date for his op the end of next month

So from what I gather (going through your posts) they were together on July 10, July 20, and then this past time was when, August 4-5?

As far as you know, she could be pregnant from any of these encounters, correct?

I guess what you have to do is keep them separate-like so their cages arent touching or anything. You need to monitor her very carefully. She could give birth starting tomorrow (August 7) through around September 7.

Shes very young and so is he so theres the possibility that it didnt take, but its unlikely. Monitor her and watch for pulling hair, building a nest.

As for your family, you really need to have a talk with them. Plently of people have lost their pets from accidental breedings. I'd get a padlock for their cages and have themwith twodifferent sitters if you ever have to go out of town again.

I'm really sorry to hear this. How far along would she be?

In all honesty, I think if I were you I'd have her spayed, NOW. I know a lot of people don't agree with it, they say it's abortion etc etc, but the overpopulation of rabbits is so enormous in the UK, even if you do find all the babies homes that's taking a place of a shelter rabbit, that could be PTS if it can't find a home. Though a lot of vets won't spay them if they are pregnant I think, and I wouldn't do it unless it happened in the last few days. :?

And that's if Bracon makes it through the pregnancy, NDs can havea lot of problems with the birth. Have you the money to pay for emergency medical treatment if there are complications?

People may say I'm one to talk, what with my Berri having a litter, but that was accidental, and then I didn't know so much about rabbits - didn't really know they could be spayed successfully, wasn'taware of the problems. And I do think her having them contributed to her getting ill and passing away, so as much as I love Pebble and Ebony, I regret it. :(

Michaela wrote:
People may say I'm one to talk, what with my Berri having a litter, but that was accidental, and then I didn't know so much about rabbits - didn't really know they could be spayed successfully, wasn'taware of the problems. And I do think her having them contributed to her getting ill and passing away, so as much as I love Pebble and Ebony, I regret it. :(
I think it makes you more qualified to speak on the matter, Michaela :) You've been there and seen how stressful and difficult it is for someone inexperienced with breeding. And you've seen members lose their bunnies due to birthing complications.

I agree, get her spayed asap.

I have just had Pheobe spayed as the people who have bought her wanted her bonded to cookie their other bun she is 4 1/2 months and are easily done at this age. I agree and would get her spayed, nethies can have quite hard labours esp. 1st time and it is not unusual for the first litter to be born dead (sorry if that sounds harsh just my experience) Especially if she is not very big, its quite traumatic for the person as well as the bunny.

Good luck in whatever you decide, if you need help we are all here for you:D

I'd just like to put my vote in for spaying Bracon too. There is too much to worry about between the potential for birthing complications (may be dangerous to her) and finding good, responsible homes for the babies. Polly definately knows what she is talking about as she breeds Nethies.

She's at a good age to be spayed right now- most vets prefer them at 6 months or so.

I forget, but were you having troubles convincing your family that it is safe to get Bracon spayed? Spaying is very safe if done by a rabbit-savvy vet. It used to be dangerous but that was years ago and vets know much more now. It's also a good idea because it prevents uterine cancer, which is very common. Maybe you could print off some info from the Library to convince your parents.

OH no!

I agree, I would get her spayed ASAP. Isn't Warren bigger than Bracon? I remember you saying when he was only 7 weeks he was already bigger than Bracon.. that can become a very serious problem.

If it were me, I would be phoning the vet very soon to get her checked out and to book an appointment to get spayed.

I was thinking Bracon if your mum and dad are being funny about it then it might be worth mentioning that, an emergency c-section if there was a problem would be a lot more than a routine spay.

Omg Bracon I am so sorry this has happened!

Why on earth do your parents just ignore you with these sort of important matters?

Well I agree with the spay- definately. It's technically abortion- but, yes, there are many many unwanted litters and you don't want to add to that, and you havn't aquired homes for them all yet, but the thing is, your parents won't let you spay Bracon will they?

Maybe now that they see this is their fault they might let you, which is actually quite good becuase you wanted her spayed anyway. Although do you really see them changing their mind about the spaying debate?

Haley wrote:
Michaela wrote:
I think it makes you more qualified to speak on the matter, Michaela :) You've been there and seen how stressful and difficult it is for someone inexperienced with breeding. And you've seen members lose their bunnies due to birthing complications.

Thank you Haley :hug2:

Any news on what you're going to do Hannah?

According to your blog and other comments as Bracon was growing up, she is a few days shy of being 4.5 months old. Still very young, but hopefully just old enough to survive motherhood and giving birth, and then raising the babies.

What will you do with the babies? I bet they will be very pretty.

ok my parents have agreed that she can get spayed but only after she has the litter. If they survived I have lots of people who have all offered to take a rabbit, who are all good people and Im 100% sure that they'll all go to good homes. Id also love to keep a female with bracon, would that be a good idea?

I have herd of bonding a daughter with the doe, and I think it would be a great idea, but you might have a problem with Warren... (If you're bonding a trio that is) But I don't really know... :?

I hope everything goes well!

Shay

Back