Bordetellosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymommy76

Reaction score
Southern Suburb of Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi Everybun!
Just a little concerned hope someone can help. I just got a puppy and had her to the vet today because she began coughing. It turns out she has Kennel cough AKA Bordetellosis. I was just looking up info about kennel cough to see how long it was going to take her to get well and got concerned because it said it can be transfered to rabbits too!!! Should I move Wrigley, right now he is in the dinning room and the puppy has been blocked off in the family room, they have the kitchen between them, is this far enough away from her or should I move Wrigley into the bedroom until she is well again? Has anyone ever heard of a dog giving it to a rabbit??? How common is this? I'm very concerned because it says it can go into Pasteurella/snuffles in rabbits, I don't need for Wrigley to get sick now!!!

I know it said that it is spread mostly in the air, I'm just concerned that I didn't pass it to Wrigley after playing with or holding the puppy and then going and holding Wrigley, can I transfer it to him this way too??

I'm a nervous Wreck now any advice or info would be appreciated!!
Thanks

This site does mention that Bordetella can be passed from dogs to some other mammals. I would not be overly concerned if the rabbit and dog have not been housed in very close conditions, because I think that it would be less likely to spread to another species except under stressful, crowded conditions.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/kennel_cough.html

bunnymommy76 wrote:
Hi Everybun!
Just a little concerned hope someone can help. I just got a puppy and had her to the vet today because she began coughing. It turns out she has Kennel cough AKA Bordetellosis. I was just looking up info about kennel cough to see how long it was going to take her to get well and got concerned because it said it can be transfered to rabbits too!!! Should I move Wrigley, right now he is in the dinning room and the puppy has been blocked off in the family room, they have the kitchen between them, is this far enough away from her or should I move Wrigley into the bedroom until she is well again? Has anyone ever heard of a dog giving it to a rabbit??? How common is this? I'm very concerned because it says it can go into Pasteurella/snuffles in rabbits, I don't need for Wrigley to get sick now!!!

I know it said that it is spread mostly in the air, I'm just concerned that I didn't pass it to Wrigley after playing with or holding the puppy and then going and holding Wrigley, can I transfer it to him this way too??

I'm a nervous Wreck now any advice or info would be appreciated!!
Thanks
check out wikapedia for bordetella-bronchiseptica.//.humans are not natural carriers,,rarely infects humans,,,but this concerns cats,,rabbits,,dogs,,pigs.//.it appears to be the same strain of pathogens for each,,so your worst fears are not unfounded--be concerned//upper respiratory infections.//.distance may not make a difference.,,rabbits require a different antibiotic than dogs,,say baytril,instead of penicillin...i hope the rabbit doesn,t show signs,,but watch him,,and be prepared...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Like any disease, a bunny that's stressed will be more susceptible to it. I think limiting contact would be a good idea, but you probably don't have to do very strict quarrantine. Also, if you keep Wrigley's environment with as little stress as possible, that will really help.

I lost a guinea pig five days after a ride home with rabbits. We suspect it was Bordetella because of all the signs, however, none of the rabbits came down ill with it. It is all about stress it seems.

I would leave Wringly to his regular business. Moving him would only stress him which is the opposite of what we want to do. Maybe even give him a little extra fruit for the Vitamin C to help with his immune system. A couple small bites of fruit a day would not hurt :)

My dog recently had an intranasal vaccine for bordatella(big mistake with the intransal) ; I had it done at the shelter to save $$.

Inevitably she came down with a mild case of kennel cough ;I since learned that an adult dog does better with the injection which is slower acting immunity while the intransal is a live virus.

Anyway she is seldom around the rabbits as she is mostly downtairs and the rabbits are upstairs. No rabbit became ill butI did worry about it a lot.
If it was me I would provide the greatest distance that you can between the rabbits and the dog and be really careful with hand washing and clothing changes in between contact between the dog and the rabbits.
There may be little chance for transmission butI would rather be overly careful than under.

In terms of the guinea pig getting bordatella from rabbits... this is very common.Often rabbits are carriers andit is fatal for the guinea pig.
this is one good argument why they should not live together.

Do you think Wrigley is far enough away from the puppy where he is at (there is about 10 yards between them) or should I move him to a bedroom in the back of the house? The Puppy did seem better today, didn't cough as much, she is on an antibiotic and cough meds. My main concern is transferring it to Wrigs from my clothes. I just read that dogs shed the spores up to 14 wks after they are well, I'm going to be a nervous wreck by then. My boy better be okay, I would hate myself for getting this puppy if anything happened to my Wriggy.

My dogs have gotten kennel cough many times from shelter dogs and my rabbits have never gotten it. I never even
worried about it I didn't think rabbits could get it.

Rabbits can get it but it presents asa respiratory infection rather than a cough. I would move him to the back bedroom.

Part of my concern is based on the worry I have just gone through about the the very same thing . :(
My dog basically stayed on the 1st floor of the house and my rabbits are upstairs but she did occasionally come upstiars but since they are in enclosures she did not have close contact with them.

she also was not coughing a lot but usually only in the AM.
I would just do the extra safe thing .

Latest posts

Back