Boney Spine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
So last Saturday I got Z and Chess from a breeder I know. Z is a shaded Tri Color Holland Lop buck and Chess is a shaded Harliquin. We had a slight soft pooh problem which cleared up with no pellets and a few oats. Sharon said she had treated them for coccidiaosis and had them on benebac till I got them(10 weeks). So everything was goodtill this morning when I went out and gave their morning pellets. Z(short for Zeko which I do not like ;)) is boney. I am worried because I have dealt with sudden boneiness and then death before and I do not want to go through it again. He has a belly and it does not seem like a bloat belly.

It is currently 7am and I can not see outside hardly at all yet but once I can I plan to go give them some petromalt(anyone used this? I saw it at tractorsupply and decided to get it) for hairballs and give them some wheatgerm oil on their pellets.

Think I should retreat them for coccidiosis?

The weather has been very wonky and I am very worried so I told mom lastnight I am cleaning out a section of our storage building to put them in today. I hope my cousin will help me take off the hutches from the outside, repare them and move themto the inside. It will be great housing for them if fixed right.

The petromalt has nothing to do with their problem and there is no point in using it. it is an old fashioned way to attempt to keep a gut moving when hair is ingested but is really not necessary if the rabbit is groomed regularly , well hydrated and given plenty of fiber (hay).

You rabbit needs to se a vet. If you suspect coccidia then fecal tests can be run to determine if the rabbit still has it.There may be another issue that you are not aware of. You really cannot just look at the rabbit's appearance and diagnose it yourself.
When a person first gets a rabbit it s a good thing to have an inital exam by a vet to check for any/all problems etc anyway. Just make sure that the vet has knowledge of rabbits.

let us kniow....:)

I agree with angie - throw the Petromalt in the garbage.

Many things can cause a bony feeling over the spine. If you feel it is feed/stress related, you can try adding some steam rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds to the feed.

Pam

They use petromalt at the shelter but I never give it to the bunnies when I'm there. It's an old fashioned thing that can actually keep water from getting into dry poopy hairy material that's going through the intestines by coating it with oily stuff. Usually the "hairball" just needs water to rehydrate it to keep moving, so petromalt can hurt more than help (sometimes).

I don't really know what causes boniness other than low weight. Low weight could definitely be due to intestinal parasites. If you suspect coccidiosis, definitely get a fecal sample to a vet for treatment. Could he be dehydrated as well? I would imagine that could cause the spine to be more prominent if he were severely dehydrated. Check for this by tenting the skin on the back of the neck and seeing how quickly it returns to normal.

Some breeders had told me they used pineapple but most said papaya. Manapro SHO has papaya in it, or so it says. I had one 3 month old baby die from bloat 3 years ago and I thought it might be useful to keep around but I guess not :grumpy:

As for the coccidiosis I started treatment for all the rabbits today. I usely treat every 6 months, I was told to every season but I am not one that likes to use medicine when not needed. Pam - when is it ok to worm them? How long after coccidiaosis medicine is given is it ok to worm? I always waited a few weeks but I want to set up a schedule.

I gave a little wheatgerm oil on my finger earlier when I check on them again. I had run out of water when I went out this morning so they had run out durring the night, that may had caused it. Everyone else's water was frozen, urg. I use mainly water bottles,ATM, but I perfer these cutekittie cat ceramic bowls walmart has decently cheap.

Both Z and Chess are very lively. When I went out I found Z out of his cage and in another cage. I put babysaver wire around the bottom of the cages hoping to keep them from moving and apparently Z likes the other cage. He was eager to get back in his cage when he saw the fresh hay. When I gave the wheatgerm oil he was trying to jump out the door for it.

I have been cleaning out a section of our storage building today. It's nasty :pHoping to get the hutches moved in and the rabbits in it by monday.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Pam - when is it ok to worm them? How long after coccidiaosis medicine is given is it ok to worm?

The best time to de-worm them is when they have worms. ;)I wouldn't medicate for something they don't have and I don't use preventative cocci treatments.

In most cases, cocci is secondary - some other illness has caused an overgrowth of cocci.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
bunnybunbunb wrote:
Pam - when is it ok to worm them? How long after coccidiaosis medicine is given is it ok to worm?

The best time to de-worm them is when they have worms. ;)I wouldn't medicate for something they don't have and I don't use preventative cocci treatments.

In most cases, cocci is secondary - some other illness has caused an overgrowth of cocci.

Pam
Other than seeing wormies on their booties or havinga vet check is there a way I can tell if they have them? I have only ever had one doe have worms that I knew of, I saw a wormy on her bum but other than that no other sign. I am guessing extreme cases the rabbit would be very thin with a biggish belly like in dogs and cats.

You could have a vet do a fecal test instead of having a full office visit. I do that because it's easier to bring in a sample than wait till the right vet has an opening in her schedule.

Are you feeding different pellets than their breeder? Are they drinking their water?

naturestee wrote:
You could have a vet do a fecal test instead of having a full office visit. I do that because it's easier to bring in a sample than wait till the right vet has an opening in her schedule.

Are you feeding different pellets than their breeder? Are they drinking their water?

Ooh, I did not no that. I am scheduling Moussey's spay soon so I will ask then. I ment to call today but it has been busy.

It is the same food from the exact same store and yes, they are drinking. Nothing has really changed since I got them, I was afraid to try anything till they where older because their parents where never let in grass or fed veggies from what she said.

I just wanted to mention that feeling for a boney spine isn't a very good way of knowing if the rabbit is underweight or not. In my opinion, in a healthy rabbit that maintains a healthy weight, the spine can always be felt. If the ribs are also quite prominent, then that may be a problem. The texture/density of the fur can also make the rabbit seem 'fatter' than it really is too.

Whenever someone is concerned about a rabbit losing weight or the possibility of parasites, I always recommend the purchase of a vet scale. You can find these online at many sites, or even in store. Some can be pricey, so you should shop around. The scale is a great way of seeing how your rabbit is feeling, if it suddenly loses weight / gradually loses weight etc. can all represent different issues. Some members on here weight their rabbits on a daily basis even.

dquesnel wrote:
I just wanted to mention that feeling for a boney spine isn't a very good way of knowing if the rabbit is underweight or not. In my opinion, in a healthy rabbit that maintains a healthy weight, the spine can always be felt. If the ribs are also quite prominent, then that may be a problem. The texture/density of the fur can also make the rabbit seem 'fatter' than it really is too.

Whenever someone is concerned about a rabbit losing weight or the possibility of parasites, I always recommend the purchase of a vet scale. You can find these online at many sites, or even in store. Some can be pricey, so you should shop around. The scale is a great way of seeing how your rabbit is feeling, if it suddenly loses weight / gradually loses weight etc. can all represent different issues. Some members on here weight their rabbits on a daily basis even.
Daily? Wow. I normally weight them once a month or so but never thought about doing it daily. I knew guinea pig breeders do, or some. I shall keep check on their weight, I have a scale but it is cheap and annoying to deal with.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Daily? Wow. I normally weight them once a month or so but never thought about doing it daily. I knew guinea pig breeders do, or some. I shall keep check on their weight, I have a scale but it is cheap and annoying to deal with.
I know, I admit I don't weigh daily. More like weekly. It helps to have easy to handle rabbits - and also if you are monitoring for illness, then it makes sense.

bunnybunbunb wrote:

Other than seeing wormies on their booties or havinga vet check is there a way I can tell if they have them? I have only ever had one doe have worms that I knew of, I saw a wormy on her bum but other than that no other sign. I am guessing extreme cases the rabbit would be very thin with a biggish belly like in dogs and cats.

In cases of heavy infestation, the rabbit may be in poor condition and have a rough coat. However, in many cases, there are no signs. "Pot belly" can be an indicator of a wide variety of illnesses.

Pam

Thank you to everyone who replied. He is doing loads better. I have him, Almond and Chess all three on oats and wheatgerm oil. Them and Burk(my uncle's rabbit who I am caring for at the moment. I want to keep him but he won't let me:() are now in the building and all are great. I am having to go out a few times a day to give water because it freezes so fast. He is very active but still very boney. It will take time for it to come back but I think he is fine now.

He is doing wonderful! He is a huge sweety pie, always meets me at the door. I clean their cages everyday by hand and the whole time him and Chess both circle my hands nudging them wondering "Where is the oatmeal? You have not put the oatmeal on my food, cough it up, woman." They finish over half a cup of pelletseacha day, quite a bit for such little buns. It is not like they skimp on the hay either.

Back