Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy699

Reaction score
I introduced my two rabbits yesterday, both girls, 9 and 12 weeks, put them in a small area first, they were fine. Older one was grooming her and being nice. We then moved them to the living room. And the older one started humping the other one. She didn’t like it, ran off every time but still kept doing it. We separated them because the other one bit her as I guess to say she didn’t like it. Was I right to separate or should we just let them do it unless it gets very physicical?

We also house them in separate cages but near each other as I read that will help them get used to each other.

you can't start bonding until they've been spayed or else it might not work. also if they do bond now they will have to be seperated from each other when you get them spayed I think you should just wait till then

All babies appear to bond - while they are babies. On rare occasion they may happen to remain bonded, but too often the onset of hormones cause them to have a falling out. If they fight too seriously, or if you aren't there to stop a fight, then it could prevent them from bonding for real once they are spayed.

If one has already tried to bite the other, that can lead to more serious fights. Also, by moving them to another location, that can trigger territory disputes. Females can be particularly territorial.

All babies appear to bond - while they are babies. On rare occasion they may happen to remain bonded, but too often the onset of hormones cause them to have a falling out. If they fight too seriously, or if you aren't there to stop a fight, then it could prevent them from bonding for real once they are spayed.

If one has already tried to bite the other, that can lead to more serious fights. Also, by moving them to another location, that can trigger territory disputes. Females can be particularly territorial.

What location should they be in?

I introduced my two rabbits yesterday, both girls, 9 and 12 weeks, put them in a small area first, they were fine. Older one was grooming her and being nice. We then moved them to the living room. And the older one started humping the other one. She didn’t like it, ran off every time but still kept doing it. We separated them because the other one bit her as I guess to say she didn’t like it. Was I right to separate or should we just let them do it unless it gets very physicical?

We also house them in separate cages but near each other as I read that will help them get used to each other.
You know what I had the same situation a few weeks ago the older 'girl' was 10 weeks and was incredibly friendly and was grooming the younger one 9 weeks old, and the younger one was kinda hiding or ignoring the grooming, next time the older 'girl' started chasing and humping the younger and I just separated them, then I've inspected the older again and found testicles so that was a boy in fact, just when I got him he was 8 weeks and looked completely like a girl. I know females can hump as well but in my situation it was just wrong sexing, which is very common as I've learned so maybe check again if she's really a girl?

But I actually logged in today as was going to start a similar thread myself, bonding two unfixed females, my Smokey is nearly 4 weeks old and had phantom pregnancy about a week ago, then wasn't feeling good a couple days, now absolutely fine, no aggression no biting and back to normal. She is indoor rabbit and loves her cage, she's out about all the time when I am home as I gave her some extra attention when she was unwell and now just want her to be more active outside the cage. She loves her cage and coming back there if anything, it is her own secure space and she doesn't like when I am doing anything there moving her hay or something she attacks my hand, not biting now thankfully but don't like it.

Other female is the same breed lop rabbit about 9 months old just adopted today and I left her alone in her new large cage planning to give her some space for a couple days and then will see how she's doing. She is an outdoor rabbit very relaxed and fat rabbit as I understood she was getting apples and other fruits every day and a her food bowl is pretty big too so no wonder. She's quite nice just a common story kids had her for 6 months since she was a baby and then got bored and she was just staying alone in her hutch outside and not getting attention at all so their mother decided to re-home her as she was feeling bad for her.

I know I read it all over again that all rabbits in fact have to be fixed before bonding and I see the point but I just see my rabbits and so not sure if I really want them to be fixed straight away (they're a bit too small at the moment, just under 4 months, vet said they are taking for fixing after 4,5-6 months as before that it's too difficult for them). I see other threads here about new babies and it is so exciting but on the other and i understand that you will have to keep them separated from males if you don't want to have babies every two months, but I really don't know what I want right now my smokey had her false pregnancy and she was so protective built her nest and all, it was nice.

I know I know.

Okay, so there are some people on here keep unfixed females and they are living in groups so it is possible to bond them. In nature they are social and fix their personal issues naturally, so maybe two females can get along just well?

My Smokey has her space and I can't imagine she'd let some other rabbit be there all the time with her, but maybe I am wrong, they are quite similar but the new one had no dogs and not nervous at all, very placid I have no idea, I will let her to stay on her own for a couple days then maybe will try to introduce them somewhere. Maybe not.

I've seen people were re-homing a couple 2 year old rabbits where male was neutered and female not and they were great best friends.

I don't know just going to watch how it goes.

Will be reading here as well, good luck to you with bonding them.

Back