Bonding Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I have been bonding the bunnies for over a monthnow. Everything is going pretty good except Chase is always chasing the Little Bunny. Sometimes she grunts when she does it but she never bites. At first I thought it was a good sign she wasn't biting the Little Bunny but now I am wondering when it is going to end. Is there a way to discourage this behavior? I say Chase's name to get her to stop when she does it. Should I spray her with the water bottle? I have always heard if they are not fighting let them be, but for how long? It has been over a month and I feel like I have to do more then I am doing to stop this. The poor Little Bunny can't even lay down during bonding because every few minutes Chase chases her.

Chase has always been a chaser, that is where she got her name. But she is driving me crazy with this. I see no improvement with the chasing.

Thanks
Amy

Is Little Bunny fighting back at all? If Little Bunny is just running away and not fighting back, I wouldn't worry too too much about it. Chase just might be just wanting to play.

You could try with the waterbottle just to distract her. You could always when she's in the midst of chasing her, see if you can calm her down a bit by petting her, and see if she continues to go after her.

Is the area you are doing bonding in quite large? You could also try a smaller area, as that may cut down on the chasing. May just take Little Bunny turning and giving Chase a good nip, so that she understands she can't do that anymore. But if Little Bunny is going with it, I really wouldn't worry too much :).

My dutch, Toot, started by fighting aggressively with Wally. She'd go up to him with the intent of biting. He would run, she would chase. I got fed up with the bonding being at a standstill this way and decided to stress bond. So I put them in the bathtub with a little water. This distracted Toot enough to leave Wally alone. I then moved them into a pen at my sister's apartment. I never separated them. I moved them over to my apartment in the kitchen (the most neutral spot I had) overnight. They didn't fight. I moved them into the living room the next day. There was a little hair pulled but no fighting, just nips and some chasing (all from Toot). I took them on a car ride and set them up at my parents' for the day. A little more hair pulling, no fighting. I took them on the car ride back home and put them in the pen in the living room (not neutral territory in the least). The nipping and rare hair pulling went on. I let them out of the pen and free range in the living room. Still nipping. The chasing had turned more into Toot would approach and Wally would run, fearing a nip. But she was no longer continuing after him. Lots of pets for both of them when they sat near each other. The nipping rapidly became less frequent and finally Toot started to groom Wally. They're still not best buds, but they are starting to like each other and I haven't seen any nipping since.

So for me the solution was an extremely extended wear them down approach. I know it wasn't the ideal bonding session, but it worked and there were no injuries. I made sure to keep two food and water dishes and two litter boxes in the pen so that neither bullied the other out of food and they had their own area to retreat to if needed. We did start off with the water bottle to squirt Toot when she nipped.. this would stop her from following through but wasn't effective long term.. she was gonna nip either way, just not if I was right there with the water bottle.

The whole process (from bath tub to grooming) took a week, but we've had Wally for 6 weeks. We did try several other methods over those 5 weeks. Switching bedding, meeting on neutral territory, meeting outside, sitting side by side petting both, ect.

Thanks guys You both gave me some great ideas. I think I am going to try some stress bonding and make their bonding area smaller. I think it might be to big.

DazyDaizee, Thanks for sharing your story. It is nice to know I am not the only one that has had this problem.

Latest posts

Back