Bonding Kirby & Penny - Moving in

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, when Kirby box her, what does he do exactly?

She's a very demanding girl huh? The way it should be!:biggrin2:

He gets up on his hind legs, pounces on her head/neck with his front paws, scratches her real quick and then he usually hops away or sits down. He doesn't do it to "fight", but to bully her into going away or stop whatever it is she's doing.

Sigh...yeah she's getting demanding... Funny, neither bunny would act this way with me. They wouldn't dare! But between bunnies they have a way of figuring out who is boss and who's going to tolerate what.

They are getting more comfortable with each other though. They were bunny loafing several feet apart. When my husband started cooking dinner, the whole apt smelled and sounded strange to them and they sat closer. Still not touching, but closer.

I'm still reading! Sounds like things are progressing very nicely and they just need to work out who is going to be top bun. Mine have been living together almost a week and I still get some humping from both of them, so it can take time. Also, neither of my buns grooms the other when grooms are demanded, so that doesn't seem so unusual either.

I can't wait til they're at the point of snuggling! I think you can move them out of the hallway soon and into the living room together for their sessions.

elrohwen wrote:
I'm still reading! Sounds like things are progressing very nicely and they just need to work out who is going to be top bun. Mine have been living together almost a week and I still get some humping from both of them, so it can take time. Also, neither of my buns grooms the other when grooms are demanded, so that doesn't seem so unusual either.

I can't wait til they're at the point of snuggling! I think you can move them out of the hallway soon and into the living room together for their sessions.
Hehe, surprisingly my pair doesn't do any humping whatsoever. Kirby's been neutered a long long time and Penny is really mellow, despite being spayed 2 months ago. I think I'd be so weirded out by bunnies humping each other if they did it often lol

They did a weeeee bit of snuggling in the 4.5 hours they were together today. For those of you who were watching on the live streaming webcam, I apologize for the lousy shots LOL There WAS snuggling for about ehhh 45 seconds, but it was hard to see through the baby gate.

I think I'd like to see them actually sit next to each other and touching before I change their environment. The hallway is very controlled, and very calming for them now. I want a little more positive confirmation that they have worked out their dominance issues before I send them out and about in the rabbit room.

It kind of p*ssed me off when I stepped in to tidy up the hallway and while I was kneeling, Penny licked my foot. My whole entire foot. But poor Kirby, nudging my hand for attention on the other side of me wasn't getting a single kiss from her. I gently pushed her off because well, my feet aren't exactly the most wonderful place to put a bunny tongue. I pushed Kirby over so she could see him... and well, she decided she'd rather kiss my foot again than kiss Kirby. :grumpy:expressionless:(

Hannah seems like she would be a humper - she has a big personality. However, Otto is the most laid back, calm, unassuming bun I've ever met. He didn't hump until they were moved in together for 12 hours! So you never know :p

OH my goodness. Penny stole into Kirby's pen and drank his water. She's so addicted to water........

I feel bad for Kirby. Penny is running over his condo... Kirby is a little bit bothered by it. He seems to be letting her in. He isn't happy about her being his face but he isn't chasing her out anymore. He chased her out of his "lobby" and out of his pen before. But she came back and he didn't bother with her anymore.

I don't have much to say really right now, I'm supposed to be doing an essay!

But wanted to say that I have also been reading... it is interesting.

Sounds like they are doing pretty well. Hope they continue to improve!

hln917 wrote:
Perhaps he's slowly letting her movein? :p
She didn't ask for the keys, she took them!

She is having a great time eating out of his hay basket, pooping next to the hay basket as she eats (and I'm having to pick up after her!)... She slurped kirby's water yesterday so I removed his water bowl as soon as she was in. It makes me worry, won't Kirby have no water to drink when she and Kirby are fully living together?

No aggression today. She's been chilling in his crib and he seems quiet about it. Not pleased, but not upset.

Today, we moved to the rabbit room for "bonding" but it was more like just the buns being together. They were together for about 7 hours. Pen doors open and everything. Penny got comfy in Kirby's condo real quick. Lot of action for a little while and then they settled into the afternoon bunny napping mode. This is something they haven't had in the hallway. They were so charged and bothered being boxed into the hallway all the time. Being in the rabbit room now versus a week or so back, is such a peaceful experience now, for everyone including myself.

Kirby is letting her in. She's doing her thing. He's doing his ting and it was a very peaceful coexistence. Not a lot of touching between the buns all day. At one point Kirby did squat down for a rest with his head touching her bum. But that was about it for good contact.

I left Kirby's pellets out for him a while ago hoping he'd eat it. He's on a diet right now so he gets very little pellets, and he doesn't even miss having them so they just lie around. Well, Kirby finally woke up from his nap and started eating. Penny came over and shoved her pointy face into his dish. And the two of them were fighting for space in the dish! It was funny until it wasn't. I took away the bowl from both of them and I think Kirby was enjoying her face rubbing against his in the dish because he tried to get her to groom him. Once the bowl was gone, she was too busy chasing my hand around in the air looking for the pellets. He got upset with her again and nipped her twice, with grunts. Then he started to dig his face into her butt and they both walked away from it on their own. I wasn't pleased and scolded Kirby but I was not the one who stopped the fight. They diffused it themselves!

I think that he was not upset that she was eating his food. He was upset with her ignoring him. :shock:

Well, after 7 hours, I sent them back in their pens shortly after the squabble. Now I can finally rest. I am feeling under the weather :(

It sounds like they are doing great!

If they can spend the whole day together and not squabble, then they are probably ready for full time co-habitation. How are you thinking you are going to start transitioning them to staying together all the time and over night?

-Dawn

funnybunnymummy wrote:
You sound like you need a glass of wine, a soothing bath and some relaxing music. Try not to get too stressed out! You don't want to get sick just when bonding is going so well!

:hug1

Rue
That does sound good... *sigh*! I should chill a little bit...

aurora369 wrote:
How are you thinking you are going to start transitioning them to staying together all the time and over night?
I don't actually know... :ph34r2 Are there specific "things" to do? Other than of course, watching them lol

They're doing fantastic! Don't stress out - they're doing very very well. I can't even stress how well they're doing. haha. Being together in each other's territories this early on is great. I would plan on moving them in together soon and sleeping near them for a few nights.

You are doing a great job!

I know the first time we bought the girls home and they started chasing each other around, it made me nervous. Of course I soon learned that they were just playing.

Latest posts

Back