Bonding issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennie_bunny_mom

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with a rabbit bonding with you? I got Delilah when she was still a baby, and she used to lick me and sit with me and let people pet her. But the older she has gotten the worse she is about any kind of contact...

She will NOT let me touch her, regardless if I just try to let her or give her a treat. In fact, if I even slowly reach for her, especially when she’s in her cage, she growls at and boxes me. She cries if you try to touch her. She is mostly free range but has gotten so bad about tearing up the carpet and chewing that I’ve had to restrict her to her cage a lot. To even try to catch her is impossible. I don’t really know what else to do. My other rabbit Bennie is super sweet and comes begging big for attention.

About the only way I can get her to freely come up to me is to lay on the floor with my head down, she will sniff me but runs off and that’s not very often either.

Sometimes when I’m loving on Bennie she starts to come over but then runs off. It’s like she wants to be pet sometimes but genuinely seems scared. Hence the crying when she’s approached sometimes. She’s never been handled aggressively or been hurt. It’s like she just completely flopped on her temperament and friendliness. Any suggestions?

She is not spayed. That is something I will be having done soon, though. My Bennie is already neutered.

Hormones could certainly be a cause for her change of behavior, and getting her spayed would be the solution.

Could also be a potential health problem causing the change of behavior and nervousness. Something like if she started out being able to hear or see, and suddenly has developed blindness or hearing loss, this could result in a rabbit suddenly becoming fearful of their environment. So a thorough health check(including dental exam) when you get her spayed, would be a good idea as well.

Hormones could certainly be a cause for her change of behavior, and getting her spayed would be the solution.

Could also be a potential health problem causing the change of behavior and nervousness. Something like if she started out being able to hear or see, and suddenly has developed blindness or hearing loss, this could result in a rabbit suddenly becoming fearful of their environment. So a thorough health check(including dental exam) when you get her spayed, would be a good idea as well.

I was kind of leaning toward the spay issue as well. I will be getting her in as soon as I can. I feel sorry for her. It’s like she wants to be loved on but just isn’t sure and if I happen to be able to pet her, she’ll cry. [emoji17]

I’m not sure what you mean by she “cries” when you pet her?

If I go to pet her, she will make a crying sound or whimpering, like she’s scared.

I had a rabbit that would whimper sometimes. It had nothing to do with her upbringing as I had her since very small, and she was always safe and well cared for. She was always just a very nervous rabbit and became more so as she matured, and spaying didn't really change that behavior. Though I still would recommend spaying, and it's possible it could help your bun even though it didn't mine. So just keep working with your bun, spend a lot of time sitting with her, and eventually she will start to gain some confidence around you, though it may be a very slow process.

Look through these links and video, they may give you some ideas on how to better work with her and gain her trust.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I had a rabbit that would whimper sometimes. It had nothing to do with her upbringing as I had her since very small, and she was always safe and well cared for. She was always just a very nervous rabbit and became more so as she matured, and spaying didn't really change that behavior. Though I still would recommend spaying, and it's possible it could help your bun even though it didn't mine. So just keep working with your bun, spend a lot of time sitting with her, and eventually she will start to gain some confidence around you, though it may be a very slow process.

Look through these links and video, they may give you some ideas on how to better work with her and gain her trust.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Thank you, I will check it out.

Back