Bonding/introducing rabbit questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benson1990

Reaction score
I'm planning on setting up a rabbit shed and was looking into getting a pair of rabbits, after doing some research it seems it's a little complicated, so I was originally planning on getting two at the same time, but if I was to do this they would need to be separated until after neutering, 6-8 weeks seems to be the time frame to re-introduce from my reading, but how would I separate them?

the shed will be 12ft long x 6ft wide, could they be separated in the same shed? for example with a divider down the middle? in my situation this would be my only option as I don't have space anywhere else.

I also read it may be best to get one first, neuter him, wait 6-8 weeks, then introduce him to an already neutered rabbit and try bond them.

I'm trying to avoid a situation where one will have to be rehomed because they can't get along, or one having to live alone...seems a very confusing process.

Id be interested in others opinions on the subject.

If you are strongly considering having two rabbits, I would simply look into adopting an already bonded pair of adults (i.e., both spayed/neutered and have gone through the bonding process). What you are missing from your brief summary of the timeline is after they are spayed/neutered and you wait 6-8 weeks for reintroductions, you have potentially weeks to months of doing bonding sessions to actually try and solidify a bond, if they are compatible. To maximize success, bonding is started and primarily takes place in "neutral" territory, which is space neither rabbit has been, so you would not only need the rabbit shed, but also another location for bonding that you can supervise-- that is the typical bonding process recommended: Bonding Bunnies

Separating not-yet/not bonded rabbits means they have two entirely different enclosures. You could divide the rabbit shed in half (though the word "shed" does make me wonder if it is an appropriate size).

Also, please see here for some guidance on decision-making re: pet rabbits: Deciding on a rabbit

If you are strongly considering having two rabbits, I would simply look into adopting an already bonded pair of adults (i.e., both spayed/neutered and have gone through the bonding process). What you are missing from your brief summary of the timeline is after they are spayed/neutered and you wait 6-8 weeks for reintroductions, you have potentially weeks to months of doing bonding sessions to actually try and solidify a bond, if they are compatible. To maximize success, bonding is started and primarily takes place in "neutral" territory, which is space neither rabbit has been, so you would not only need the rabbit shed, but also another location for bonding that you can supervise-- that is the typical bonding process recommended: Bonding Bunnies

Separating not-yet/not bonded rabbits means they have two entirely different enclosures. You could divide the rabbit shed in half (though the word "shed" does make me wonder if it is an appropriate size).
Ideally two would be best for the rabbit, I no having only one is a controversial topic...the rabbit shed would be 12ft long x 6ft wide, going from my reading its above the minimum standard.

Coming across an already bonded pair is highly unlikely where I am, there really is no designated rabbit sanctuary's here and any sanctuary I know who gets rabbits in usually come alone.

I understand bonding can take a long time, the neutral ground thing could prove tricky as I live in a relatively small house and on top of that have a dog who wouldn't take kindly to rabbits so even setting something up temporarily wouldn't be feasible really.

I've seen sanctuary's advertising rabbits to new homes but as I said they normally come alone and unneutered but I will obviously neuter them, it's the being on their own that concerns me.

I have had singles and pairs. But my rabbits were all indoors, so they were always nearby people and daily goings on. My opinion is that outdoor rabbits really need to be in pairs since they will spend so much time unattended. Indoor rabbits spend more time nearby humans even if those humans aren't directly interacting. Just being in the midst of the daily activities of a household is better than being alone elsewhere.

If you can only find singles, it would still be to your advantage (and the rabbit's) to get one that is already fixed if that is possible. Then you could search for another fixed rabbit to attempt to bond. That would decrease (hopefully) the amount of time that the first one is alone in the shed. It would also mean you wouldn't have to wait weeks or months for young ones to grow, be neutered, then heal from neutering, to begin the bonding process and only then potentially find out that they don't get along after all.

If you must begin with a single, it would likely be to your advantage to begin with a male. Females tend to be more territorial so starting with a female can make things more difficult if she is more concerned about defending "her territory" than bonding.

Also be aware if you get 2 litter mates which have been together and interact OK.Once neutered you are not guaranteed that will continue.Having been through that myself I would definitely wait for a bonded pair when I am looking again.

Latest posts

Back