Bonding Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoticness

Reaction score
Hi all! On a whim I will be getting another bunny hopefully next Saturday. I will be meeting my new fluff butt next Wednesday(or a fluff butt incase the one I picked out is adopted). I was waiting until I was in my home state(as I am moving back home in September/October timeframe) before getting another bunny but this one kinda fell onto me and my roommate said 'sure go ahead but you owe me more for babysitting them' I have *some* knowledge but not much, I sadly don't plan to really work on bonding Thunderbun to this new bunny until I am in my home state(as their new space would be full neutral territory). Here are things I want to clarify up:

> Is it best to keep them from full interacting until the new fluff butt is nurtured
> Is interacting between the xpen bars fine
> Would Thunderbun need any vaccinations before coming into contact with this new bunny(vice versa as well)

I'm sure I have more questions/need for advice however probably general internet searching will get my questions answered, I was already told it'd be smart to pick up the new fluff butt in Thunderbun's carrier(or something that has his scent). Thunderbun has plenty of toys I'm sure he won't mind sharing them.
*I'd like to add in that I have discussed this with my roommates and they finally gave me the okay not really a whim thing but they knew I was looking for another bunny*

>No interaction until neutered.
>Have a couple inches between ex-pens or they can bite or scratch through the bars.
>You'll need to check the local exotic vet's recommendations regarding possible RHVD2 vaccinations.

I realize you are likely excited at the prospect of getting a new rabbit, but please consider if this is more in your interest than in the rabbit's interest-- especially in light of your upcoming move.

Bear in mind that it can take a rabbit a couple months to finally get settled in a new home. Until settled, they are quite stressed. So this new rabbit may finally reach that "settled" feeling when he/she will then be subjected to the stress of the travel across country. Then if he wasn't neutered before your trip, he'll need to be neutered --stressful-- and heal in his/her 2nd new home (more stress). Then once he/she is healed from the surgery, it'll be bonding time -- again, more stress. In other words, this new rabbit (if you get it now) will be subjected to months of back-to-back stress. It will have to settle in two different "new" homes, travel across country, get fixed, and then go through the stress of the bonding process itself. It doesn't seem fair to put that on a rabbit.

The other downside is that you mentioned that this other rabbit would still need to be neutered. This means that the bond itself may not take. What happens if you get this rabbit, put it through all the stress mentioned above, and then when you're finally able to begin the bonding process, it ends up that they refuse to get along? What happens then? Would you be ok housing them separate for the next 10 years? Would you then try to find separate bondmates for each of them (and that would mean housing each pair in totally separate areas of the home to prevent territorial issues)?-- Something to think about because not all bond attempts are successful.

It seems that waiting until you've arrived at your new home before getting a 2nd rabbit would be the better option. Then you can look for an already fixed rabbit. By having your bun meet other fixed rabbits, you can pre-screen for potential compatibility. Rabbit rescues also work with you to ensure a bond is ultimately successful.

Here is more info on bonding that would be worth the read:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

>No interaction until neutered.
>Have a couple inches between ex-pens or they can bite or scratch through the bars.
>You'll need to check the local exotic vet's recommendations regarding possible RHVD2 vaccinations.

I realize you are likely excited at the prospect of getting a new rabbit, but please consider if this is more in your interest than in the rabbit's interest-- especially in light of your upcoming move.

Bear in mind that it can take a rabbit a couple months to finally get settled in a new home. Until settled, they are quite stressed. So this new rabbit may finally reach that "settled" feeling when he/she will then be subjected to the stress of the travel across country. Then if he wasn't neutered before your trip, he'll need to be neutered --stressful-- and heal in his/her 2nd new home (more stress). Then once he/she is healed from the surgery, it'll be bonding time -- again, more stress. In other words, this new rabbit (if you get it now) will be subjected to months of back-to-back stress. It will have to settle in two different "new" homes, travel across country, get fixed, and then go through the stress of the bonding process itself. It doesn't seem fair to put that on a rabbit.

The other downside is that you mentioned that this other rabbit would still need to be neutered. This means that the bond itself may not take. What happens if you get this rabbit, put it through all the stress mentioned above, and then when you're finally able to begin the bonding process, it ends up that they refuse to get along? What happens then? Would you be ok housing them separate for the next 10 years? Would you then try to find separate bondmates for each of them (and that would mean housing each pair in totally separate areas of the home to prevent territorial issues)?-- Something to think about because not all bond attempts are successful.

It seems that waiting until you've arrived at your new home before getting a 2nd rabbit would be the better option. Then you can look for an already fixed rabbit. By having your bun meet other fixed rabbits, you can pre-screen for potential compatibility. Rabbit rescues also work with you to ensure a bond is ultimately successful.

Here is more info on bonding that would be worth the read:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Yeah after a lot of thinking and talking about it I can't transport 2 rabbits cross country(mostly for my own sanity since I'll be driving). I have a rescue in mind for when I get back to my home state with my guy that has all their rabbits fixed and vaccinated against RHVD2, I plan to call my vet up later this week to get a list of exotic vets out where I live at that have the vaccination and then go from there. But the new rabbit wouldn't touch home until December which is 3-4 months after the move since I'd possibly be on a new work schedule as well until that time frame.

Getting them fixed will help

having them in separate cage(s) next each will help also . It ll take time for them accept one another ( mine took six weeks ) . And when that happens , you ll have bonni n clyde running you in circle s with showing you a lot of personality , imo

Getting them fixed will help

having them in separate cage(s) next each will help also . It ll take time for them accept one another ( mine took six weeks ) . And when that happens , you ll have bonni n clyde running you in circle s with showing you a lot of personality , imo
Haha that's what I am hoping for but understanding that if they don't get along then that's fine. I make time to sit and cuddle my boy and I'll gladly make time to sit and cuddle with them both if it comes down to that.

Latest posts

Back