Bonding 3 bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2geldings

Bunny best friends
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, so you might have to deal with some silly questions :)

I currently have 2 neutered boys bonded together. Those 2 are inseparable. They are such good friends. Boo the white bunny is a lionhead mix and is 1.5 yrs old. His friend is black and is a Flemish giant cross, and he is 8 months old.

I have been told that bun buns bond usually in pairs? I don't know how accurate this is. My 2 "dudes" free roam 5-8 hours a day at home, and spend the rest of their time in their rediculously large cage that's 3 floors high.

I would love to rescue a third bun bun, but I want to make sure I'm not at risk of wrecking the great friendship they have.

I need advice :D

Introducing a 3rd bun to an already bonded pair is known to risk breaking the original bond. Boy bonds aren't easy to begin with, so I'd be extra leery about adding a third. A third boy could wreak havok and a girl could cause major issues too.

If you'd like to rescue more and you have the space, it might be better to get an already bonded pair. Then you'd just have 2 happy pairs.

I agree - same sex bonds are much more volatile than M/F bonds, trios are inherently VERY tricky and introducing a new rabbit to a bonded pair definitely risks upsetting their bond. For what it's worth, Blue eyes once tried to bond Sapphire to a pair of brothers; it went well for a bit but there were ultimately too many issues for the trio to be successful. An already bonded pair would be ideal; failing that, you could get a single bunny (to be housed alone) who you could then take on "bunny dates" at shelters to meet available bunnies of the opposite sex.

Ok it sounds like it's not worth the risk. My 2 boys are just so perfect as they are, I would. E heart broken if it fell apart, especially the way I have it right now. Boo, my white lionhead mix is maybe a third of the size of my Flemish giant cross, and I've managed to get the smaller boy to be the leader of the two, which turns out really well. I never worry about him getting picked on by his much larger friend.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1386464642.599765.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1386464727.482019.jpg

My lionhead is unquestionably the boss with my two bunnies, despite being a good bit smaller than my Holland lop (my Holland didn't inherit the dwarf gene and is 4 lbs 12 oz, which my lionhead is true "dwarf" size). Seems like the little ones are often pushier, hehe. Nala even bosses around the 12 lb "kitten"!

Latest posts

Back