Bonding 3 bunnies ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber H

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted some advice. I currently have two lovely boys - Kenzo (my Netherland dwarf) and Gucci (my lop). Both are over a year old now and are bonded. However, I would say their bond is not as strong as perhaps other bun couples. My little dwarf is very very loving and loves his brother. Gucci on the other hand, can still have his moments (very often). He seems to be the anomaly that just loves his own company and Kenzo seems to hate his own company.

I was considering bringing a third rabbit into the mix to change the dynamics a bit. I just do feel very bad for Kenzo, as Gucci can turn on him often and chase him a lot. it would be lovely to have another bunny that perhaps would maybe give Kenzo a bit more company?

I just wanted to know if anyone had a trio/ had bonded a trio and how it had worked. Would 3 boys be a possible bond? I just wondered.
Please share any pics you may have!! :)

Trios can be difficult. I'd guess even moreso if the current pair doesn't have a strong bond. Even when a bonded pair have a strong bond, it is always a risk that introducing a 3rd rabbit will break the original bond.

Trios that happen to work are typically either all females or just 1 male and 2 females. Otherwise having 1 female would usually cause the 2 boys to fight over her. Having 3 males... well, that could be even more difficult -- especially when the current two are already seemingly iffy.

Bringing a third rabbit could totally change things. It could be that the new one will bond with just one of the 2 males you have. Then you'd be stuck with one bonded pair and one single (and it could actually be Kenzo that is left out). Or, the third rabbit could break the bond of your current two and not bond with either of them. Then you'd have 3 rabbits that all need to be housed separately. Or, if you are super lucky, all three will bond.

If you are fine with ANY of the scenarios, then no worries. might as well try. If you are not ok with any of those scenarios, then it's probably best to leave things as they are.

Latest posts

Back