Bo not feeling good - RESOLVED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Ok, I know tiny poos are bad, hard tummy bad, all that. Here's the breakdown and I want to know if I am on track or if I am missing something:

1. Bo molting - I brush him but he's molting so much it's not even getting all of it.

2. We were trying to bond he and Clover. At first he was agressive then he got quiet the second day and sort of just stayed back and tried to smell her now and then.

3. Last night, Lexi noticed he had tiny little poos. Hard and tiny. He was playing and they were everywhere!

4. We gave him salad last night, some oatsies, he's eating some and drinking some. He's eating hay now and gobbled down oatsies a little while ago.

5. He likes me rubbing his tummy with my thumbs and he's standing on me. His tummy is not hard.

6. He has been pooing very little today but he did just poo some things like cecals.... tiny groups of wet little poos. I don't think they are cecals honestly I think they are little wet poos stuck together.

7. He acts fine but I'm worried he's got stasis.

I have no pumpkin but I am getting ready to go out to the grocery. He hates pumpkin! but I put it on his foot and he sometimes gets a little that way.

WE HAVE SOLID POOS! just a few, but they are solid since I gave him a tummy rub. Any advice to keep them that way???

Poor Bo!! I am sure he will be back to normal in no time.

Have you noticed excess hair in his poop? It's common when they are molting heavily, it's just harder to see in rex coated rabbits because they don't get the string of pearls.

I'd cut back on any extra's besides really nice hay (and the pumpkin if you get some). No leafy veggies or treats till poo's are back to normal. You can give him Pedialyte to encourage him to drink a little more than normal. Keep him active, encourage him to run and play as much as you can. Belly massages are great to do, too!

Sounds like if he has anything going wrong, you caught it before it becomes serious! Good thoughts to you and Bo :purplepansy:

THANKS! You just made me think - we have great grass hay in the barn right now. He's allergic to the good alfalfa, but he loves this grass hay. I'll go down to get him a bunch in a little while. He'll eat that up.

He just ate some more oatsies. or should I say INHALED them.

He pood some more and they were little and hard but lighter in color. he also had some more of those wet things and then just a couple of good poos.

Sounds like maybe a little hair was injested or maybe a bout of gas (or both). I think I would get some simethicone in him, it cant hurt. Hay, simethicone, lots of fluids, tummy rubs and exercise will all help.

Isnt it funny how we question ourselves when its our bunny? Im always thinking, "am I missing something". ;)

If you had some mushy poos, I think Id also cut back on oats or any sort of treats. Just push lots of hay and maybe some pumpkin (lots of fiber and less carbs) :)

You could flavor his water (with Pedialyte or some apple juice) to entice him to drink more, small poos are indication he's not as hydrated as he should be;).

Come on Bo, give us some good poos:).

Haley wrote:
Sounds like maybe a little hair was injested or maybe a bout of gas (or both). I think I would get some simethicone in him, it cant hurt. Hay, simethicone, lots of fluids, tummy rubs and exercise will all help.

Isnt it funny how we question ourselves when its our bunny? Im always thinking, "am I missing something". ;)

EXACTLY! I can think when it's someone else's bunny but when it's mine I sort of get brain spaz or something.

I always have used oats because they are a fibre - that's what helped him when he was a baby and got stasis. I won't give him anymore now tho. He's got some good poos - he seems to feel better too.

Now looking back - yesterday he made us think he was peeing like 4 or 5 times when he was out in the xpen. Then nothing. I think he was TRYING to poo.

I'll get the simethicone too. I need to write a list for the grocery really quick so I don't forget anything.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I always have used oats because they are a fibre - that's what helped him when he was a baby and got stasis. I won't give him anymore now tho. He's got some good poos - he seems to feel better too.

Oats do have fiber in them (which I think is why they are good when a bunny (or a baby) has diarrhea, but they also are high in carbs. The high carbs can send the bun into Cecal Dysbiosis, which will look like soft poop or diarrhea. So it can do the opposite of what you want if your bun is having poop troubles.

One cup of oats has about 16 g of fiber, but a whopping 102 g of carbs! Thats why pumpkin is usually recommended bc it has the fiber with not as many carbs. A cup of pumpkin has about 22 g fiber and only 70 g carbs(so more fiber less carbs) ;)

Now if only Bo liked Pumpkin :biggrin2:

Thanks everyone! It's great to have your help. I had no idea that the oats could be a problem.

I'll keep you posted. He's got the good fresh (but dried) grass hay he's eating right now! or should I say..... inhaling LOL!

Ok, he's back in his cage so I can go to the grocery. He's stretched completely out on his tummy. Is that good? or does it even matter?

Haley wrote:
Is he sort of pressing his tummy down? If so sounds like gas. Or he could just be relaxing ;)

YES! he was sort of flatter than he normally does at one point today. His feet behind him but not stretched out - more like his toes were under him and he had his tummy on the ground. But then he stretched out all the way at another point. He's doing better but won't take those drops! We did the bunny burrito and all.

His poos are much better and he's eating like a pig. I got the grass hay (he loves his Oxbow too and was eating a bit of it) and he CHOWED on that stuff. Then pood some more LOL! I kept giving him the barn (grass) hay and he ate and ate. He's hopped up and down in his cage but when he was out playing he sat in the tunnel and dared Clover to enter it. We let them play in the big xpen tonight - they've always done that. He was actually resting and Clover came up to eat next to him. That wasactually a suprise!

His poos still aren't completely normal - a few little ones here and there and some normal ones and they are all pretty hard.

He's drinking water right now which is good too. Earlier he stretched really long like he had just gotten up from a long nap - like he felt good.I just don't know - I fear I'm missing something but he is eating and all that.

I'd love to hear a few little bunny farts and know he's all better! :(

Sounds like he's doing alright if he's eating/drinking/pooping.

Did you try hiding the simethicone in anything? What about tummy rubs?

I hope he's doing alright today.

No, I didn't hide it. Bo is very finicky. He thumps and kills evil strawberries if they invade his home....... so you get the idea........

He is doing EXCELLENT! I have to say, his poos are better than they have been in a while! He has been trying to make up for lost time! :pThank you so much for asking!

He actually loves that grass hay we have. It's going to be around for awhile but then next spring we'll have reseeded and started the alfalfa growing again.... so I doubt he'll get a lot of grass hay after that. Timothy hay from Oxbowis great but it's not the stuff we grow!

Bo's an adult bun, right? So you definitely will be wanting to continue to give him grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, brome etc.). I do understand that you have alfalfa hay for the horses, and I'm sure Bo would love some as an occasional treat. But adult buns need as much grass hay as they can handle!

(I know there are links to info. on age and the various kinds of hays down in bunny 101 and other parts of the reference section, but I'll leave it to you to find the links - I've got to get to sleep! ;))

It does sound like there have been a lot of changes in Bo's life over the past week or so, and I can see how that could all make him stressed and unsettled. Am sure you'll figure out ways to work with him and help him get through this phase.

BTW, the thumping on evil strawberries made me smile! Do you have any pictures of him doing this?

ec wrote:
Bo's an adult bun, right? So you definitely will be wanting to continue to give him grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, brome etc.). I do understand that you have alfalfa hay for the horses, and I'm sure Bo would love some as an occasional treat. But adult buns need as much grass hay as they can handle!

Bo's been on Oxbow Timothy hay since he was a baby. He can't eat alfalfa hay it makes him sneeze. I just gave them some fresh dried/baled grass hay from sis inalw'sfield when he got sick. All three are eating it like it's craisens! Bo and Clover have always been good hay eaters, but this stuff is different and really good. They got some the day it was baled and gobbled it down so fast we had to get more LOL!

I don't use the barn hay much cause it's not always so clean. After it's in the barn awhile it gets a little dusty too from the loft. This stuff is so clean it almost falls apart when you open the bale. Nice big blades and very few weeds/leaves. I won't give any of them alfalfa hay. Heidi is on the alfalfa pellets and that's all she needs. When she's a year old she'll go on the timothy pellets too. I did keep Clover on the alfalfa pellets for a couple of extra months but she's on timothy pellets now also.

Bo had alfalfa pellets as a baby but they didn't bother him like the hay does.

Latest posts

Back