Blood found.........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
Picked Benji up just now- their daily check over.

Look round his bottom and tail, and then I noticed something that looked like blood.

It was just to the left of his penis and was only a little bit- not a tiny dot but not a blob either. Barely noticable really, but still there.

Please help someone. It's defiantely blood? Or could it be urine? I checked his litter tray and it is a bit red/orange, but it always looks like that once it's mixed in the wood pellets.

My heart is thumping so much and I can't do anything but think of that.

I wouldn't panic. Clean him up and check him over real well. He could have nicked a nail or scratched himself. Keep an eye on it and see if it comes back. It could be a drop of red urine that just adhered to his fur.

Try blowing on his fur around the area to see down to the skin. Look for any little cuts or scratches.

Is he behaving the same? Eating? Peeing? etc.? Check him again in a little while and make sure it doesn't re-appear.

It would be Bright red if its blood some wee can be very red. Is there any signs of a cut or scratch or even that he has had a nip? usually if its round their bits it bleeds quite a bit.

I would give his bits a good check over to be on the safe side that he doesnt have any bits that have been bleeding and try to check through the fur to the skin as well

It wasn't bright bright red. Sort of orange red. I wiped it and tried to look down to the skin (Benji was not impressed at all) and it was quite hard to have a good look cos Benji wouldn't stop being silly, but I didn't think I could see anything. And the red hasn't come back.

Phew....maybe it was just urine. I'll keep a close eye on it the next few days.

Thanks for ur help guys. Its so scary when something goes wrong "down there" because thats one of the places where if something does go wrong or diferent then something major is wrong.

if its kinda crusty and orangey could be rabbit syphillis? check to see if the scabs are onits nose too.

Could it be scent glands needing a clean? It'd be adark color. Blood is hard to mistake for something else. It's red red. It could be he ate something that affected the color of the urine? Give him a good look over and keep an eye out but I would panick yet :rose:

I hope it's nothing :hug:

It sounds to me like urine, or maybe he broke a toenail and got blood on himself.....

Keep us posted!

Thanks for your replies :); I had no idea what to do at the time.

I checked him again this morning and it hasn't reappeared, but around his tail it looks a little bit stained slightly orange (not really noticable, but this leads me to believe it might be urine).

Benji has been neutered for over a year now. You don't think something could have gone wrong since then?

It is not crusty, but it is orangey-red. It was more just wet fur. His nose looks fine- he used to have a little sniffle about 4 or 5 months ago and sneezed about once a day for a few weeks, but it's gone now. His nose is clean and doesn't have any crust or anything.

Scent glands? Didn't even think of that but that's a possiblity. Although....it was more orangey or light red rather than dark red. It was defiantely red but more towards the lighter, more orange scale rather than dark or browny red. How will I know if it is his scent glands?

Again thanks so much for ur replies and comforting posts :). I found it hard to sleep last night even so though. But I got up this morning, checked him, and checked him just now and it hasn't come back, so hopefully it's fine.

Does it sound okay to you?

sounds like urine to me I would keep an eye on it for a while though more just to make yoruself feel better glad it all seems ok though :)

Everything sounds fine to me. It was probably a spot of urine. The reddish tint can come and go, perfectly normal.

I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. He sounds like a little sweetie.

Latest posts

Back