Blood everywhere

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChompersMom

Reaction score
I walked into the bathroom to check on him and there was blood all over the floor and a complete nail. He had pulled it out apperently sometime in the bathroom...I'm not sure on what. There's tile floor in there and nothing that I can see that he could have caught his nail on. It looks like the bleeding stop but is there something I can do for him? Should I bring him to the vet ASAP to have it looked at??

Oh and I also wanted to add, he doesn't seem to be in pain. He was still running around when I went in to check on him and I was giving him lettuce and he was eating it out of my hand just fine.

I'd try to clean it (maybe put something like neosporin on it?) and just keep his cage really clean to keep it from getting infected.

I'm sure others have had this happen. Bo got one too short once and OMG it looked like someone was murdered in his cage

Ok I'll go put some Neosporin on it right away, Thank you! I've quicked a lot of dog nails but thankfully when I do that I have syptic powder to stop the bleeding and normally it's before I bathe them so I can clean it off. This time, though, it was the whole nail :shock: and it just really freaked me out..

I would put some betadine on it to clean it up. But he should heal up fine.

I know others have had bunnies lose a nail and they have healed up just fine.

Was it possible that his nail was at a funny angle and the hard tile surface caused it to twist and crack off? I had that happen to my very first bunny.

Keep it clean, and watch for swelling or signs of infection. He should heal up fine and his nail may or may not grow back.

--Dawn

It was his dew claw so I don't know if he was just having a fun time romping around in the bathroom and came down on it hard and twisted it off. I'll keep an eye on it and try to keep it clean. He's not the happiest when I handle him but looks like I'll be doing a lot of it for a few days so he'll have to get used to it :nope:

Thank you for all your help guys!

Well, if you weren't planning to show him, as long as it heals........ getting rid of a dewclaw isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I don't think they have much purpose like the other ones.

Hope it is ok and he doesn't have any trouble with it. I know I freaked with Bo's and Clover did one at one point too. I got Tony too close not so long ago on a trim.

Latest posts

Back