Bitting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some rabbits are, by nature, more nervous in temperament. They can be the ones more likely to be cage-aggressive. These buns do best when they have a designated area that is theirs alone. They need it to feel secure and safe. By a designated area, this could be a more enclosed area within the ex-pen area (or he may decide it is the whole pen area). But providing a decent size, secluded space within the ex-pen can give him the security he's looking for.

This mostly enclosed, secluded space should be a space in which he is never disturbed. A space where your hand never reaches into (unless he isn't there or isn't nearby).

Of course right now it may mostly be those pesky hormones making him this way. Nevertheless, the private space may help-- whether it's purely hormone-driven or just his nature.

Until you can get him neutered(plus 4-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to fade), I think the best thing would be to just protect yourself with gloves and other protective attire, so you don't get bit again, if you have to be in the same space with him or handle him at all. Then once those hormones are gone, you'll have a better idea if the aggression is hormonally driven or not. Though if you can remove him from his pen without having to handle(luring into pet carrier) and have him in a separate area while you clean like Blue eyes mentioned, so he doesn't have any direct contact with you, that would be the best thing for now.

Are they in adjoining pens, and can they have contact with each other through their pen bars? If so, how does he react to your other rabbit? Do they groom each other between the bars, does he avoid her and being near the bars, or does he react aggressively towards her?

Until you can get him neutered(plus 4-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to fade), I think the best thing would be to just protect yourself with gloves and other protective attire, so you don't get bit again, if you have to be in the same space with him or handle him at all. Then once those hormones are gone, you'll have a better idea if the aggression is hormonally driven or not. Though if you can remove him from his pen without having to handle(luring into pet carrier) and have him in a separate area while you clean like Blue eyes mentioned, so he doesn't have any direct contact with you, that would be the best thing for now.

Are they in adjoining pens, and can they have contact with each other through their pen bars? If so, how does he react to your other rabbit? Do they groom each other between the bars, does he avoid her and being near the bars, or does he react aggressively towards her?
He seems to be the most aggressive only while in his pen. During the day I let him free roam in an area of my home and I am able to pet his head or sit next to him without any real signs of aggression. Just the occasional chewing on my clothes and nipping while he does that. Before my doe was diagnosed with rabbit syphilis he would actually groom her through the pen grids. They would both flop and lay next to each other. I took that as a good sign? Before this though my son accidentally left the pen open and he attacked my doe really bad. (He was only about 11weeks old at the time) now I do not let them near each other because my vet said to keep them completely apart because of the syphilis. I think I prefer waiting until he is neutered, especially since he seems to be so territorial now. I have hope all of this is hormonal and it gets better!

Put on some thick clothing and just sit in his pen with him keep your hands and feet tucked away, just let him get used to you he might thump bite and scratch but soon he will learn that you do what you want not what he tells you to. Make sure you aren’t scaring him but just being there. I recommend if he is that scary sit outside his pen close don’t move to be by him but just sit you can feed him treats if he will come over and take them. Best of luck 🤞

Back