Bitting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaya8a

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m writing in hopes of someone having some advice. I have posted before about the bonding process between my 7 month old doe & 3 month old buck. Per everyone’s recommendation I’ve kept them both completely separated until both are spayed and neutered. The issue is with my 3 month old buck & him being so aggressive. Specifically in his pen. During the day he is free roamed in a separate area of my home where he can’t get to my doe. I only put him back in his pen at night so that he doesn’t get into any trouble. This morning when I went to change out his water and give pellets he lunged at me and completely attacked my hand. It was awful as he wouldnt let go. He broke the skin on my hand and blood was everywhere :/ he has always been more on the aggressive side because he already had a big fight with my doe even when he was younger. He attacked her and bit one of her ears. My doe is very gentle and sweet not aggressive at all. & now the aggression is even worse in his pen. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage the aggressiveness while in his pen? He is still too small to be neutered but will do that as soon as my vet says it’s ok to. In the meantime I’m at the point where it’s scary to even walk by his pen :(

Coming from a very experienced rabbit owner (I have 50 all different breeds) it sounds to me like an adult rabbit may have hurt him as a kit.. so he has no trust and will most likely not bond with another rabbit. (Some rabbits never will). he'd have to be put with a rabbit that is extremely submissive and would not challenge him at all.. I'd try to put closed cages close next to each other for a while then swap cages so the smell of both is all over both cages.. he may start marking his territory by rubbing his facial glands all over the cage. But he will definitely get used to it. A scared rabbit will always be aggressive when you enter the pen it may be effective to use a cage that opens from the top as not to ever approach the sides or face of a scared bunny. The big huge area to roam may be too much stimulation and caused him to be nervous enough to bite. Try an x_pen in the house Maybe.. another thing start hand feeding him lots of treats.. find something he likes alot and just keep working with him.. fortunately I do not have even one biter or mean bun.. we hand raise all of our babies. Good luck.

Coming from a very experienced rabbit owner (I have 50 all different breeds) it sounds to me like an adult rabbit may have hurt him as a kit.. so he has no trust and will most likely not bond with another rabbit. (Some rabbits never will). he'd have to be put with a rabbit that is extremely submissive and would not challenge him at all.. I'd try to put closed cages close next to each other for a while then swap cages so the smell of both is all over both cages.. he may start marking his territory by rubbing his facial glands all over the cage. But he will definitely get used to it. A scared rabbit will always be aggressive when you enter the pen it may be effective to use a cage that opens from the top as not to ever approach the sides or face of a scared bunny. The big huge area to roam may be too much stimulation and caused him to be nervous enough to bite. Try an x_pen in the house Maybe.. another thing start hand feeding him lots of treats.. find something he likes alot and just keep working with him.. fortunately I do not have even one biter or mean bun.. we hand raise all of our babies. Good luck.
I’ve also wondered the same thing, if maybe as a kit an adult rabbit injured him or something because we brought him home at about 8 weeks old. & even at that young age he was already nipping and bitting us. I figured it was just because he was so young and as he got older it would get better. As for bonding them I did have their pens next to each other and believe it or not after the huge fight (he initiated by the way) it seemed as if my doe just gave in to him? She is so much bigger too but she would asked to be groomed through the pens and would flop next to him. He would groom her and flop next to her as well (both in separate cages of course) I had to stop that though because I took in my doe for an ear check up and the vet found that she had syphilis so I had to stop all contact until treatment was done. He has no sign of it. I try and bond with him as much as I can but the nipping and bitting doesn’t stop. Once I was at floor level just laying there and he came up to me, seemed ok & was even licking my face, in a split second it turned into him bitting and he broke the skin on my cheek as well. Maybe the bitting is his way of reacting when he is scared? This morning’s incident in the pen was awful though, he really did damage to my hand. Will getting him neutered maybe help at all?

At 3 months of age, he's hormonal and those hormones are driving his behavior. Be patient. He may be a totally different bun several weeks following his neuter. (It can take as long as 6-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to fully dissipate.)

In the meantime, keep him separate from the doe as you've been doing. Also, since he isn't acting aggressive when he's roaming but only when he's inside his pen, use that to your advantage. He is being "cage-aggressive" -- in other words, he's being protective of "his" territory (the pen area). That can also be hormonal. So if any filling of water/pellets needs to be done, or any litter box cleaning, save it for when he is wandering about and not when he is inside his pen.

Just be patient with him until he's fixed. There is still hope for bonding. No guarantees but nothing can be ruled out completely until after his hormones are fully dissipated.

Food!!! Food is the way to a bunny's heart lol especially a mean one lol.. try banana 🍌 not too much but I'm sure he'd love it
Yes! They usually do love bananas. My doe loves it even though I try and not over feed it. I don’t know if the food would distract my buck enough for the aggression to stop though. I’m afraid he will skip the banana and go for my hand again 😂🥴

I’ve also wondered the same thing, if maybe as a kit an adult rabbit injured him or something because we brought him home at about 8 weeks old. & even at that young age he was already nipping and bitting us. I figured it was just because he was so young and as he got older it would get better. As for bonding them I did have their pens next to each other and believe it or not after the huge fight (he initiated by the way) it seemed as if my doe just gave in to him? She is so much bigger too but she would asked to be groomed through the pens and would flop next to him. He would groom her and flop next to her as well (both in separate cages of course) I had to stop that though because I took in my doe for an ear check up and the vet found that she had syphilis so I had to stop all contact until treatment was done. He has no sign of it. I try and bond with him as much as I can but the nipping and bitting doesn’t stop. Once I was at floor level just laying there and he came up to me, seemed ok & was even licking my face, in a split second it turned into him bitting and he broke the skin on my cheek as well. Maybe the bitting is his way of reacting when he is scared? This morning’s incident in the pen was awful though, he really did damage to my hand. Will getting him neutered maybe help at all?
Another thing to remember is with a mother that is like that, and will do that lunging in her cage, if the babies are left with them for a full 8 weeks all of them babies will be aggressive just like the mother because she will teach them exactly what to do I have two mothers that will do that with their babies and unfortunately as bad as it is pulling babies at 5 weeks I pull all of their litters as soon as they stop nursing and start eating food because of this exact reason, however I supplement them with kmr powder formula for another few weeks, he could have just learned it from his mother if she was not a friendly rabbit and if they don't hand raise the babies it will absolutely produce a rabbit that is terrified of anything.

At 3 months of age, he's hormonal and those hormones are driving his behavior. Be patient. He may be a totally different bun several weeks following his neuter. (It can take as long as 6-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to fully dissipate.)

In the meantime, keep him separate from the doe as you've been doing. Also, since he isn't acting aggressive when he's roaming but only when he's inside his pen, use that to your advantage. He is being "cage-aggressive" -- in other words, he's being protective of "his" territory (the pen area). That can also be hormonal. So if any filling of water/pellets needs to be done, or any litter box cleaning, save it for when he is wandering about and not when he is inside his pen.

Just be patient with him until he's fixed. There is still hope for bonding. No guarantees but nothing can be ruled out completely until after his hormones are fully dissipated.
I definitely agree as above also.. he could be feeling vulnerable from being neutered having what he thinks is injuries and whatnot

I definitely agree as above also.. he could be feeling vulnerable from being neutered having what he thinks is injuries and whatnot
I dONT know how to erase anything lol I forgot you had said he hadn't been neutered yet in my opinion I feel like he was either hurt by another bunny or he learned the behavior of cage aggression from his mother

I think that getting him neutered would absolutely help yes but as someone mentioned above he is in a very hormonal time right now because they are fully sexually mature at 4 months old although it's not good to breed them they can and he is getting ready for that

Yes, that is what I’m hoping for! That once he is neutered this behavior will stop. I don’t want to give up on him. From now on I will do that, refill water and pellets when he is out and about. The nipping outside of the cage has gotten much better as he learns to trust me more. It’s just scary at times because my doe never once bit like him. My husband jokes and says I should have named him “bunnicula” lol and of course even scarier when it comes to the actual bonding. My doe is very calm and not aggressive at all. As I said he is so tiny too. Tiny but mighty lol I will attach a picture of him in comparison to my sons soccer ball. My doe is a little over 4lbs so much bigger. I will try your suggestions. Thank you!

Attachments

• 5C0A38C9-CF59-4679-AF0F-95C5C0448CF3.jpeg
    5C0A38C9-CF59-4679-AF0F-95C5C0448CF3.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 3
Yes! They usually do love bananas. My doe loves it even though I try and not over feed it. I don’t know if the food would distract my buck enough for the aggression to stop though. I’m afraid he will skip the banana and go for my hand again 😂🥴
I give treats about twice a week although I alternate them I also give kale, Romain, bok choy, mustard greens, carrot tops, cilantro, watercress, basil, kohlrabi, beet greens, broccoli greens, and cilantro and of course light pellet feed and 80% Timothy

Yes, that is what I’m hoping for! That once he is neutered this behavior will stop. I don’t want to give up on him. From now on I will do that, refill water and pellets when he is out and about. The nipping outside of the cage has gotten much better as he learns to trust me more. It’s just scary at times because my doe never once bit like him. My husband jokes and says I should have named him “bunnicula” lol and of course even scarier when it comes to the actual bonding. My doe is very calm and not aggressive at all. As I said he is so tiny too. Tiny but mighty lol I will attach a picture of him in comparison to my sons soccer ball. My doe is a little over 4lbs so much bigger. I will try your suggestions. Thank you!
I have a 12 pound plush lop ( I know that's ungodly huge for a plush but he's pedigreed) that looks very similar to your bunny, aww I really hope he gains some trust.. ❤️ best of luck to you

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_014904581.jpg
    IMG_20211008_014904581.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211008_015217822.jpg
    IMG_20211008_015217822.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211007_194535208.jpg
    IMG_20211007_194535208.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 3
Another thing to remember is with a mother that is like that, and will do that lunging in her cage, if the babies are left with them for a full 8 weeks all of them babies will be aggressive just like the mother because she will teach them exactly what to do I have two mothers that will do that with their babies and unfortunately as bad as it is pulling babies at 5 weeks I pull all of their litters as soon as they stop nursing and start eating food because of this exact reason, however I supplement them with kmr powder formula for another few weeks, he could have just learned it from his mother if she was not a friendly rabbit and if they don't hand raise the babies it will absolutely produce a rabbit that is terrified of anything.
I have a 12 pound plush lop ( I know that's ungodly huge for a plush but he's pedigreed) that looks very similar to your bunny, aww I really hope he gains some trust.. ❤ best of luck to you
he is gorgeous! And I’m starting to think the bigger rabbits are nicer haha.. it’s the small ones that are feisty! Like in the dog world with chihuahuas. Thank you I really hope he fully learns to trust me as well.

This is a good point, I wonder if his mother was cage aggressive too and he picked up on it. I did also get my doe from the same person but I know for sure she had a different mom. Whatever it is I just hope he learns that im not trying to hurt him.

he is gorgeous! And I’m starting to think the bigger rabbits are nicer haha.. it’s the small ones that are feisty! Like in the dog world with chihuahuas. Thank you I really hope he fully learns to trust me as well.
I mean it makes sense they do have a way more docile friendly nature then smaller breeds but again I'm sure it is because they are bigger you know when they don't feel so vulnerable

This is a good point, I wonder if his mother was cage aggressive too and he picked up on it. I did also get my doe from the same person but I know for sure she had a different mom. Whatever it is I just hope he learns that im not trying to hurt him.
I think if you stay persistent he will get better the two mothers that make my babies afraid that I separate from them were vicious I mean vicious when I got them the definition of bunnicula LOL one of them I call evil mommy bun her actual name is Nala and she is a sweetheart now but she still has a very scared and timid nature and will growl every time I feed her even though she doesn't lunge at me anymore

I think if you stay persistent he will get better the two mothers that make my babies afraid that I separate from them were vicious I mean vicious when I got them the definition of bunnicula LOL one of them I call evil mommy bun her actual name is Nala and she is a sweetheart now but she still has a very scared and timid nature and will growl every time I feed her even though she doesn't lunge at me anymore
Ironically the other mother that I have that does it is nala's daughter and she was with her until the age of 10 and 1/2 Weeks she absolutely learned it from her mother her personality is exactly the same

Well it gives me hope his temperament can improve then. I will absolutely keep working with him especially because I have children. The rabbits are mine and I always teach them to be respectful of my animals. My youngest is 3 though and I’m scared one day she will think it’s ok to pet him like she does the doe and she will be bitten bad.

Back