biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
I have a male rabbit who just suddenly started being super aggressive and im not sure why he also acts afraid at times but i'm not sure what has changed he use to be really friendly and then about a month ago his personality changed completely =[

my vet said it was safer to wait until they are 6 months and he is a very experienced vet and uses all the special equipment to monitor them while in surgery not like some vets

Last edited:
Is there a second rabbit savvy vet in the area maybe who would be willing to look at him and give an opinion? You could wait 6 months but the longer you wait the harder I think it may be to kick some bad habits. Mine was done at 4 months and he came out safe and sound, a male neuter is also a much less invasive surgery then a female's spay. I think males are safe to do at 4 months or once the testicles drop and with females it's 5-6 months recommended.

There are different ways you could deal with this. It sounds like, since he started this all of the sudden, that he may be trying to assert his dominance. Getting him neutered is a good way to get rid of this. In the mean time, you can try pressing his head down after he bites and saying firmly "no biting" or just "no." This is your way of telling him "hey, I'm the boss here...not you." It's important to be firm with him and to do this consistently, but not to be mean or scare him.

When he bites he draws blood so I'm not really interested in getting bit he has bit me 3 times I've got him to let me feed him through the cage and pet him a little bit through the cage so I guess that is progress I have him booked to get fixed in a month the vet agreed to do it in a month its hard cleaning his cage though BC he doesn't want to come out any tips on getting him out he either hides in the back or lunges at me

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to correct his hormonally induced behavior. It's more a matter of waiting it out until he's neutered. He just can't control those raging hormones right now.

To get him out of his cage, you could try just opening the cage door and walking away. Eventually he should come out and then you can snag your chance for a quick clean up.

Back