big fat surprisey for gypsy!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gypsy wrote:
Rose , Im thinking Her Scruff issue may be in factrelated to her refusing anyBuck put in with her andher non abilityor willingness to breed , Most Bucks will biteand grab a Doe by theScruff to hold on to copulate , NO doubtin her mind The Buck Is tryingto Pick her up . Poor Baby ,

That's brilliant. I'll bet you're right. You know, Bunbun was REALLYgentle with her. She refused him first, but he kept on being sweet andshe finally took. He didn't bite.

The possible pregnancy complicates things. The breeder had left him in with Tank for a week. I'm not sure how long ago that was.

Seriously, gypsy, all the signs are there in bright daylight thismorning. Someone please tell me I'm imaginingthings!!!:shock:I'll try and get bulgy belly pics later whenI get home from work. Mom went out to theporch and said "herbelly doesn'tlook normal". I went out and said "my GOSH! ITDOESN'T!"The best we could do was fill the cage with hay--noroom for a nest box her size. Hasn't built one yet, but who knows whenshe would? No fur yet, anyway.

I'm hoping if she does, it's soon, because of shipping issues. I think it will be soon.

Rose

Laura wrote:
Anyidea how many litters she's already had, Rose? Gosh, Ihopethe poor girlgets abreak after thisone!

Laura
Only three: before I got her (she lost that one), and two with me.Hasn't been pregnant since, so that's not bad.:DShe's a goodmother.

Rose

DaisyNBuster wrote:
:clap:I'm so glad shes back with you. Shes morebeautiful than I remember. Bub really looks like his Mummy. Ihope she isnt preganant at the moment and you get her weight back up.

Vickie

Bub DOES look like her! I didn't think so but now I do.

Rose

LOL Laura for thetime being SPOILING her as shedeserves lol .

Definately Rose A pregnancy would muckwith shipping but we c an crossthat road when we get to it ,. IFwe get to it .

I found something extremely interestingtoday while moving the Boys , from insideto the big hutch .

Palomino's unlike most other rabbits donot have the extra skin aroundtheir necks * (scruffs ) *Like otherbreeds of rabbit . as I waswalking and poking prodingand telling Elvis he was beinga good boy , I was pinching lightlyaround the scruff area and foundthat the Skin there is verytight and very close to themuscle , So I figure that to Scruff APalomino is the same thingas digging your fingersstraight into muscle to pick them up . Ialso made the observation thattheir whole Furr and skin is close tothe body , there is noextra skin , no folds ,no extra fat layer soto speak . I am going to haveto check George over andsee if it is more because they arebabies still or If it carriesover into their Senior years , I foundthis extremely interesting with havingMini Lops and hollands anda few other looser skinnedrabbits.,

She is a beautiful girl! I'm so happy she is with Rose.

Gypsy: When she heads your way, if you need help from me, I promise tobe SOOOO gentle with that poor girl. She has had an awfultime, and there is no way I would make it worse.

Jen

gypsy wrote:
Palomino's unlike most other rabbits donot have the extra skin aroundtheir necks * (scruffs ) *Like otherbreeds of rabbit .

Commercial (meat) breeds (New Zealand, Cals, etc.)are raisedfor low fat and firm muscle. They generally have a flybackcoat that lies close to the body and very tight, firm skin.

Pam

I can see where Bub gets his good looks from :D.She is a lovely girl, but I think she has a certain sadness about hereyes. No wonder, after all she has been through. I am so pleased thatthings are working out so well.

Jan

I haventasked Rose for permission to copy thisinto the thread but I feel its importantthat everyone know the wholestory not just bits and picesthru different threads , These are from PersonalMessages we have been having . Its goingto say iot all , and more than one of yuwill be in tears before all issaid and done . Bear withme it isnt very glamerous.

Gypsy, I just called and left a message with the breeder. Ifshe's alive, and you're willing....let's make it happen. I warn you,she's pretty sad. Poor thing. But I do think she can improve, and shedeserves a better life. Hock sores are likely going to be an issue. Earmites may or may not be. Fleas, ditto. Generalhygienehabits--pretty bad. I can try, if she comes herefirst, but she is liable to take an arm off if touched. I think she cankeep herself cleaner if given the right environment. She's alsooverweight.

I don't know if it's rough handling or straight neglect, but she isterrified of being touched on head and flanks. In two months, she wouldcome up and stand on my chest, but fled at any touch.
Gypsy, I just called and left a message with the breeder. Ifshe's alive, and you're willing....let's make it happen. I warn you,she's pretty sad. Poor thing. But I do think she can improve, and shedeserves a better life. Hock sores are likely going to be an issue. Earmites may or may not be. Fleas, ditto. Generalhygienehabits--pretty bad. I can try, if she comes herefirst, but she is liable to take an arm off if touched. I think she cankeep herself cleaner if given the right environment. She's alsooverweight.

If not her, would you like another from there, maybe a Bub brother? I'mhoping against hope...but the fatality rate is highthere.:(And if she hasn't given birth since, she may havebeen killed. Sometimes I think I don't even want to know...but if she'salive and there's a chance for a better life, I want to get her out ofthere. She's young, only about 2 or 3, and she has gorgeous babies. Arough mother, but doesn't harm or kill the babies if she likes herenvironment. Peace, quiet, and cleanness, and she raises great litters.But I am not real hopeful about her being alive. I think I'll alwaysfeelyucky about giving her back, but at least she had twogood months here.

Bles you, gypsy. If I can send her to you maybe I can get the image ofher sad face out of my mind. If she's dead....well, I guess she'sbetter off.

I just remembered. She has a mate. They seem pretty affectionate, andthey live together, but she won't raise a litter with him in the cage.Crazy set-up. Anyway, he's a gorgeous big buck, must top 10 lbs. Nearlyas big as she is.

My guess is she's afraid to be picked up because she's huge. Thebreeder hauls her out of a top-opening hutch by the scruff. That'sgotta hurt. The first day, she was pregnant by her mate and I didn'tknow, so no wonder she was snappy. She did come and beg when shesettled in, nearly knocked me over when she jumped up on my chest. Iraised two litters off of her with zero fatalities. And she'd killedher only other litter prior to that.

Oh yeah, she hada weird nose-bleed thing, but it doesn't seemto be anything dangerous. When it got hot, she'd start bleeding alittle. I think her blood vessels are real thin in her nose and she waspanting hard. It was an on and off thing in the months she was here,but didn't seem to bother her. Have you ever seen that?

Congrats on the hutch setup!! Very cool. I know what you mean about sterilizing. Been there, done that.
:p

I'm gonna give the breeder a call again now. We'll see....crossing fingers.

Rose

He's willing, but said he wasn't sure ifTank was aroundstill. His wife took over the rabbit operation and she will call meback early next week. Said he'd charge about $10. I'll board her hereif necessary until arrangements can be made. Bub's brothers are alivebut one is running wild. He also has other Pals if you want.

He said they've lost a few last winter....if Tank's not one of them,we'll start the wheels turning. He also had a gorgeous little lynx doe.I didn't realize it at the time, but she must have been. She was a fairgold like yours. Unless she's just a super light golden?

What a surprise! I'm sure the kitswill do great with Rose. It seems like her rescue was meantto be.

Holler when you're ready to transport. I can't wait to meet Tank.

I just read through this thread and have to say,thank you soooo much Rose and Gypsy for giving this girl a chance at agood life...you two are definitely angels! :hug:

And what a gorgeous bunny she is....
:4hearts:

Now Now BassetLuv , dontmake me rush to pound in myhorns to make it soyour right lol . besides pounding myhorns in gives me a headacheLMAO !,

pamnock wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Palomino's unlike most other rabbits donot have the extra skin aroundtheir necks * (scruffs ) *Like otherbreeds of rabbit .

Commercial (meat) breeds (New Zealand, Cals, etc.)are raisedfor low fat and firm muscle. They generally have a flybackcoat that lies close to the body and very tight, firm skin.

Pam
Pam I had realized they were acomercial Rabbit But I neverexpected the neck and body skin tobe so tight , I guessthat comes from having so many of thelooser skinned type rabbits ,It really took me by Surprise to say theleast , I also checked hteDArgents and Standard Chin I haveand they have the same type of skin ,very tight to the Bone .Honestly I am shocked anyone could even think of Picking these typesof Rabbits up by the Scruff . :mad:

Thats thepast Sweety , a placebest not dwelled in , We allknow better now . and thats allthat matters .

You know, I so lovehandling Bub. Afterseeing Tank, it's such a difference. I pretend to strangle Bub all thetime--he doesn't care.:pI can touch him all over, I can runmy fingers around the soft down under his chin and behind his ears, Ican grab his scruff and shake him back and forth (the quickest way toget a certain boy wound up good!;)). I appreciate him so much more now.Gypsy, you're totally right about the tight skin. Izzy, a Hol, hasenough skin for any three rabbits, while Bub's is tight.

Rose

Latest posts

Back