Best Vacuum to Clean Up Rabbit Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightOfHeart

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new vacuum and am tired of sweeping up random hay pieces with a broom off of all floor types. What vacuum do you use and would recommend for this?

Brainstorming ways to minimize the hay spread might be the first defense. A good system could go a long ways to eliminate much of the frustration. That could mean changing the manner in which hay is offered or putting a hay-catching mat outside their base area to prevent hay from spreading any further. Hard to offer suggestions without knowing your specific setup. If you would like to post some photos, maybe we could offer some suggestions you might not have considered.

For hay that would stick to carpet inside the rabbits' enclosure, I would make use of a small shop vacuum.

Brainstorming ways to minimize the hay spread might be the first defense. A good system could go a long ways to eliminate much of the frustration. That could mean changing the manner in which hay is offered or putting a hay-catching mat outside their base area to prevent hay from spreading any further. Hard to offer suggestions without knowing your specific setup. If you would like to post some photos, maybe we could offer some suggestions you might not have considered.

For hay that would stick to carpet inside the rabbits' enclosure, I would make use of a small shop vacuum.
A hay-catching mat sounds like a good Idea, I didn't know those existed. Could you recommend one if you use them?

in my opinion they are all pretty darn equal in how well they work to pick up dry light debris such as hay (or rabbit poop for that matter)... so my suggestion would be to buy one you'll be more apt to actually like using. For us that's an upright which is lightweight, quiet as possible, easy to maneuver and with washable filters.
The one we use is the cheapest one we found at Walmart a few years back (Powerforce Helix from Bissel for $50). It works great but I do wish it was quieter, especially on hard floors.

in my opinion they are all pretty darn equal in how well they work to pick up dry light debris such as hay (or rabbit poop for that matter)... so my suggestion would be to buy one you'll be more apt to actually like using. For us that's an upright which is lightweight, quiet as possible, easy to maneuver and with washable filters.
The one we use is the cheapest one we found at Walmart a few years back (Powerforce Helix from Bissel for $50). It works great but I do wish it was quieter, especially on hard floors.
Thank you very much for your reply I'll look into that vacuum I think you're right, it would be best to look for a vacuum that isn't a pain to use so I'm more likely to use it regularly. Good to know most work about the same for hay and rabbit 'coco puffs' I tried shopping on amazon and searching for Hay, but I think in the questions/comments on vacuums most were referring to like horse hay not rabbit hay and I don't need a vacuum that strong lol

A hay-catching mat sounds like a good Idea, I didn't know those existed. Could you recommend one if you use them?
It's mostly a matter of finding what works with your rabbits. Some rabbits will chew mats that others will not. You'll also want one that tends to "catch" the hay. Think of it like having a doormat.

If you can post a photo of your setup, that would help us make better suggestions for containing the hay so that a mat may not even be needed.

I use this Kenmore as my home vacuum. I have a two-story, mostly carpet with the rest linoleum/fake hardwood, & two free-range rabbits.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KENMORE-Elite-Pet-Friendly-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum-BU1018/308539536
It works so well for home & hay that I bought a second one and put it in storage.

It takes cheap generic bags just fine; I go through about one every four weeks or so, depending on how lazy I am with picking up hay before vacuuming.

I use this Kenmore as my home vacuum. I have a two-story, mostly carpet with the rest linoleum/fake hardwood, & two free-range rabbits.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KENMORE-Elite-Pet-Friendly-Bagged-Upright-Vacuum-BU1018/308539536
It works so well for home & hay that I bought a second one and put it in storage.

It takes cheap generic bags just fine; I go through about one every four weeks or so, depending on how lazy I am with picking up hay before vacuuming.
Wow that vac does look like it would get the job done. Out of curiosity, was it that price when you bought it? Or has it gone up/down over time?

Wow that vac does look like it would get the job done. Out of curiosity, was it that price when you bought it? Or has it gone up/down over time?

I bought this one from Home Depot (online) for $300 back in 2020 when my previous vacuum broke.

The price went up to $350 within a year (like everything else!), and it's still at that level.

It should be on sale for major holidays, though; I picked up a second one last year for $300.

Back